Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    Maybe some of you know of the annoying (to some) feature that popped up around v1.3.5, whereby the Pre keyboard automatically prevents fat-fingering of keys. If you type two adjacent keys quickly one after another, the Pre ignores the second one. I guess this can be handy, but if you are a fast and accurate typist, it's irritating.
    For example, words like "light" come out "ligt".
    and, since the spacebar is next to the letters C and N, a sentence like
    "The Pre is so cool!" comes out
    "The Pre is so ool!" if you don't wait ~a half second between the space and the 'c'.

So..... I've been looking around through the filesystem to see if there's some kind of config file that might have an option to turn off this fat-finger prevention "feature." But I don't know where to look. I'm a coder by trade, but am not extremely familiar with Linux (nor WebOS for that matter).

I'm guessing that since this came in a WebOS update (from forum posts in the "Palm Pre" forum, it seems it started happening to people around 1.3.5 or so), it's not something that's entrenched in the compiled keyboard firmware or whatever.. but hopefully in a config file, a javascript function, .... ?

This might help: user Wizzums found this in the logs right at one of the times he noticed it happening:

MAXIM7359: key event not valid
    MAXIM7359: Rejecting neighbouring key
    MAXIM7359: Got key up with no previous key down.

A little googling shows that "Maxim7359" is the keyboard that the Pre uses, but that's all I've found.

Any ideas from you developers? I'd love to patch this if possible, but I've spent an hour cd'ing, ls'ing, and more'ing through the usual spots and haven't found much.

thanks!
    Dave
    It's in the driver for the keypad which is built into the kernel. To make it configurable it will need a custom kernel. Expose some sysfs hooks to enable/disable it. I can take a look at it when I get a chance and add the user configurability to KeyBoss.

Looking at the keypad driver it should be a really easy addition and can probably make its way into uberkernel some point down the line as well.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Hi Eric,
    Awesome!
    Keep me posted, and let me know if I can help in any way. This "feature" plauges me many times a day.
    thanks,
    Dave
    Kernel for Pre is ready for testing, works for me.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Sweet... Which kernel is it, and how do I get it? Is there a Preware feed I need to manually add or something?
    thank you!
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    Sweet... Which kernel is it, and how do I get it? Is there a Preware feed I need to manually add or something?
    thank you!
    Dave
    Kernels testing feed.

egaudet kernel for the pre

With that booted you should be able to do the following from command line to disable the "fat finger filter"

Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-0038/prox_timeout
    and to re-enable it

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-0038/prox_timeout

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Works like a charm! Ahhh, it's so nice to see the characters just splat onto the screen when I purposely fat-finger the keypad....

FYI, that should probably say
    to re-enable it: echo 200 > .....
    rather than echo 1 > ....
    The initial setting was 200, milliseconds I presume, which seems about right.

Ok, I'm switching back to UberKernel for now. Please let me know (if/?)when this makes it into the UK.
    Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    FYI, that should probably say
    to re-enable it: echo 200 > .....
    rather than echo 1 > ....
    The initial setting was 200, milliseconds I presume, which seems about right.
    I coded it so that any non-zero value written to it will set it back to 200. In the future when I test for good threshold limits I'll make it be more configurable but for now I just wanted to get enable/disable functionality working.

-Eric G

Donate
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    right on, good work.
    -dave
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Hi Eric,
    Just wondering, do you think this fat-finger prevention might still make it into UberKernel sometime? More people besides me are requesting this functionality. thanks!
    dave
    how difficult would it be to add this functionality to psycho's f105 kernel? im sick of this damn keyboard skipping letters
    It would be nice to have this option in the Uberkernel - thanks for figuring it all out
    Agreed. I too would LOVE to see this in UberKernel.
    Any news adding this to UberKernel??

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    I have to question this. Some people have the "fat finger" issue, others do not (I do not since I got my Pre replaced). Would adding something like this make for a "fatter" kernel?
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    can we please get this added f102a delta dagger
    Law Student, SEO Worker, PRE OBSESSED
    Sprint Pre
    How bout the pixi?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!