Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH, the 3 most important features of any PIM device is:

1. UNIVERSAL SEARCH
    Search of the entire phone (not the internet), search through all your personal data, thru the contacts, notes, calendar, spreadsheets, memos, to-do lists, word processing files, SMS/MMS, thru every native apps, thru every 3rd party app data, anything and everything on your phone (not the internet) quickly and completely the way Palm OS did. Fast information retrieval of your personal data and databases is the most important and single most useful thing on this planet as far as PIM’s are concerned. Not links to twitter, not cool little icon creation tools, not fun cutesy little play things, but real world useful things.

2. UNIVERSAL CUT/COPY & PASTE
    The ability to copy an address or sentence out of a text message or email, (not the entire message, only the portion you need) and paste it into a contact, or paste it into a memo or task field, or it into Google maps. Or Copy part of a to-do list item and paste it into a spreadsheet, or copy a value out of a spreadsheet cell and paste it into an email etc.

3. DESKTOP APPLICATION to sync with.
    A desktop application to sync with, to back up all your PIM information (contacts, calendar, to-do lists, memos, wordprocessing files, spreadsheet files etc, to your PC and vice/versa (without being forced to use Outlook). Not syncing to “the cloud”, I don’t want all my personal info spread out all over the internet for who knows who to snoop through. I want my personal info on my phone and my desktop PC only. A Desktop application to be able to do the bulk of your data entry from your PC then syncing it to your phone instead of having to type out and tons of personal data, such as useful formulas, extensive notes about people, long letters or ebooks you want to cut and paste into your desktop app so you can sync it to your phone so you can read it on the road at your leasure without trying to type all that data into your little touch screen pad. To be able to look up information and data stored on my phone without not having to wait on a slow connection as it stores and retrieves from the cloud. And to be able to look up the same information on my desktop app when I can’t find my phone. To backup my data or retrieve it without being dependant an internet connection. When I lose my old phone, I want to be able to sync the new phone to my Desktop application had have all my personal info and data files loaded on to my new phone putting me right back in business without skipping a beat.

Store, Retrieve, and Manage/Manipulate Personal Information, that’s what Personal Information Managers (PIMs) are for.
    they left out the most important things TO YOU....
    sooo...find the phone that does what YOU need...
    None of those things are important to me but everyone has their lists of important functionalities that they might need.

My Pre does exactly what I need it to do. More functionality is always welcomed.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    they left out the most important things TO YOU....
    sooo...find the phone that does what YOU need...
    I notice a few of you in these forums feel compelled to respond with "find a phone that does" or "do your research before buying a phone"

Is the flippant response because of frustration or is that really how you interact with others. Just curious.
    1. Android / BB torch / Iphone?

2. Win mobile / Iphone / Android 2.2/ Blackbery

3. Win mobile / htc Sense Android ph / Blackberry
    Last edited by kinster02; 08/18/2010 at 01:14 AM.
    If all phones were the same, then we wouldn’t know which one to buy.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Thank you OldPalmUser, these are my main concerns, too.

Considering that every Palm device before the Pre had these features pretty much completely covered, it is surprising to see that there is so little mention of this.

I love my Pre and the new functionality it brought but these points are my main criticisms. I hope Palm will address them in the next major release of WebOS.

The lack of searchability in calendar without having to use a third party app.

The non working backup in the Palm profile. I could live with a cloud backup that is transparent and reliable. After losing many years worth of calendar data and reading similar stories here, I have to say:
    A backup that only works most of the time, is not a backup at all. Kinda like being a little bit pregnant. ;-)

I can live with the current implementation of copy/paste. I use a memo as a buffer.

Best regards, uwer
    I agree these are important. But there are other PIM things they got right... Come on 2.0!!!
    none of those are critical features in my book, although all would be nice to have (not sure how much I would use desktop sync, maybe with better doc editing, I might be more tempted to use it, but I would probably use the cloud instead, zumodrive and google docs). The critical functionality of a smartphone includes web browsing, email, messaging, calendar, music, phone calls, and certain users need functional document editing. All but the last are done reasonably well by the Pre, although all could be better. Universal search and copy/paste are useful features to improve user experience, but not critical for most users. WebOS does these reasonably well, too, although again, both could be/should be improved.
    anyone who has very specific needs for a device needs to buy what works for him, and do his research before buying. Not trying to be rude, just giving sound advice
    I actually like Universal Search just the way it is. Having said that, I also wish that WebOS had a second search App or Function that would just search the phones Email, Calendar and Text Messages.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    #2 You can do partial copy and paste as far as I understand it. I never knew this until the tip appeared in the news feed.

#3 There's a number of ways to sync data without resorting to Outlook. If you want to avoid it being stored anywhere on the net... that's another thing completely. You'd be hard pushed to find a solution like that for any modern smartphone these days. I'd also be surprised if Palm went that way given webOS is a all-embracing web OS.

There's a few Exchange alternatives (Kerio Connect being my choice) that you could run a server locally and set it up to work only on a local IP address. That would handle your PIM data... but not for free. The Wifi Media Sync app works pretty well and only works on a LAN. So that would cover your documents.

None of this is built in to webOS which looks to be your main gripe. But really you can't be too surprised about 2 and 3 since that's not really how most people would want things to work.

As for #1 that's a different story. My Pre is the first phone I've had with any universal search functionality and it's a keeper even as it is. That said, I'd love it to be expanded to encompass all the phone data and so would lots of others by the sounds of things. *crosses fingers for webOS 2.0*
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I notice a few of you in these forums feel compelled to respond with "find a phone that does" or "do your research before buying a phone"

Is the flippant response because of frustration or is that really how you interact with others. Just curious.
    Very good comment. In my opinion it's a short cut to thinking for the responder who for some reason wants to denigrate someone with a valid complaint/criticism/suggestion.

I do agree that there need to be tweaks in both the universal search and copy & Paste functions. It is frustrating to try copying a segment of text, only to realize that it's not supported. Also, the ability to search through email, msg'ing, contacts, apps, web, etc, should be standard, especially since Palm had this ability in the past and knew the value to its users. Ahhhh 2.0. You can't come fast enough. Let's hope this is included in the update.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html

FWIW, I didn't think that response was particularly "flippant" ... in fact it's probably good advice since I think it's unlikely that the OP is going to get any satisfaction from Palm with his list any time soon. The "desktop sync" issue in particular is beating a dead horse and has been discussed here about a million times.
    I agree with 1 and 2. 3, not so much. Having to rely on some piece of software, bound to some specific operatiing system, in order to do what is effectively either a database dump or rsync is not cool. Luckily, WebOS has both a database on-board, and rsync, making that platform-specific tool for dealing with your data obsolete.

On point 3, however, it would be nice if WebOS would allow, for example, a standard LDAP sync for contacts, and standard iCAL sync for calendars, so that we could run our OWN servers. Currently I just dump the data to a home server and grok it there every time I'm on my home wifi, but that is only outbound from the pre, and I can't really edit that information anywhere but on the phone.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    On point 3, however, it would be nice if WebOS would allow, for example, a standard LDAP sync for contacts, and standard iCAL sync for calendars, so that we could run our OWN servers. Currently I just dump the data to a home server and grok it there every time I'm on my home wifi, but that is only outbound from the pre, and I can't really edit that information anywhere but on the phone.
    This thread may be useful to you.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ing-cloud.html
    Yes, the features are so critical that when the iPhone launched without 2 of them (1 and 2), it was an instant failure that showed the superiority of PalmOS to the masses.
    WebOS is just missing 2 things: mic API, and Camera API.

With those to things there'd be nothing to be jealous of other phones about cause we'd have the same apps as other phones.

My friend showed me this app on his EVO that had me LMAO. It was a 3D cat that would mimic your words as you spoke. It was unbelievably accurate in being able to hear what you were saying. I whispered something from 2 feet away and the cat repeated it clear as day. Coolest time wasting app ever.

I want that on WebOS. If these kind of things aren't coming by Oct. (upgrade time!) then it's bye bye.

I may go dual phone though. I love WebOS. I just want more features.

It is not a flippant response. If the user is that obsessed with PIM that he needs these features, he should move to a phone that has them.

This is not PalmOS. It is webOS. It was not made by many of the PalmOS people, but by Apple defectors. So jfc, stop crying about PALMOS HAD IT!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredsutter View Post
    anyone who has very specific needs for a device needs to buy what works for him, and do his research before buying. Not trying to be rude, just giving sound advice
    Never in a million years, when i bought a Pre did I think these things would NOT be included.

I bet no one here, who used Palm phones before, and who researched the Pre after it was announced, thought that either.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Actually, I'd say the 3 most important things are a functioning phone (check) a functioning browser (check) and, well, beyond that it's a matter of opinion. Flippancy is perfectly reasonable in a response to a post chock full of hysterical hyperbole.

To address the OP's original points...
    1. The universal search, as it is, is great. Is it perfect, of course not. But no matter how much better it becomes, people will alwasys want more.
    2. I'd like to see better copy/paste as well but considering the iPhone took 2 years to get any functionality here, it's hard to call it truly essential.
    3. On this one I'm gonna have to rip you. Firstly, we knew out of the gate there wasn't going to be a desktop sync. This is a Web based OS.You may as wel get a featurephone and complain that the browser sucks. Secondly.... You think the web is insecure? I've got news for you pal, all the info on your phone is already on the web. And that webstorage is no less secure than your phone is. Do you really think your contacts list and work calendar are valuable information to anyone else on the planet? If you're keeping critical personal information on your phone that would be harmful to you if anyone else found it, you deserve to be beaten with a wet Pre manual until you call uncle, you could just as easily leave your phone at a bar or have it stolen. Unless that computer you're syncing to at home never connects to the internet, you're still vulnerable. Moreso than Palm or Google's servers are I'd wager.

To finngirl: If you didn't know about the absence of desktop syncing, that's your own fault. It was pretty clear the Pre was cloudbased for databackup before launch day, and anyone who bought one after launchday has even less excuse.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast