Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm guessing that Palm is essentially a completely different company now and has few people who remember what PalmOS devices could do. It's too bad for those of us who relied on those old phones and PDAs, but now we've got to move on and find new solutions or workarounds for the missing PDA functions.
    I would just like to point out that with the way WebOS is set up, #3 is completely redundant and of absolutely no value what so ever unless you don't have an internet connection for your home computer.

When I create, delete or edit a contact or calendar event on my Pre, it is automatically updated through my google account AND my desktop PIM software of choice.

No cables.

No cradles.

No inability to sync until I get home.

How is this process improved with desktop sync software?

I have owned a broad assortment of Windows Mobile devices (all the way back to PocketPC 2000) and at least 3 different Palm OS devices. These were PDA only, rather than smartphones, so desktop sync was my only option.

Despite the existence of several commercial products for desktop syncing, I simply cannot fathom why anyone would bother.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendilon View Post
    To finngirl: If you didn't know about the absence of desktop syncing, that's your own fault. It was pretty clear the Pre was cloudbased for databackup before launch day, and anyone who bought one after launchday has even less excuse.
    To be fair, you're right about that. But I was mostly talking about the PIM functions.

But also, on the other hand, for many people going on about "cloudbased backup" (remember, this really didn't exist for smart phones at the time) was a new technology, and to assume that average consumers KNEW, when looking at new phones -- esp when they'd used Palm smartphones since the beginning -- that this meant no desktop backup, is not really fair.

It makes sense now, but find me an average Treo user, who doesn't read P|C who didn't find this an enormous surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    ...that this meant no desktop backup, is not really fair.

It does NOT mean no desktop backup.

It has never meant no desktop backup.

It never will mean no desktop backup.

What it means, is fully automated desktop backup with 3rd party remote backup for added data safety, WITHOUT the need for cables, cradles or installing more unitasking desktop software.

I make a change on my phone, it is backed up on my desktop without ANY interaction on my part.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    It does NOT mean no desktop backup.

It has never meant no desktop backup.

It never will mean no desktop backup.

What it means, is fully automated desktop backup with 3rd party remote backup for added data safety, WITHOUT the need for cables, cradles or installing more unitasking desktop software.

I make a change on my phone, it is backed up on my desktop without ANY interaction on my part.
    i'd never bother with it myself, but could you perhaps let us know the software you use, and how exactly your solution is set up? it may be useful to the OP. or maybe a link if it's one of the ways that had been suggested on here in the past.

or maybe just about all PIM software these days sync with google? IDK, it's really no concern to me, so i no nothing of 3rd party PIM software.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    i'd never bother with it myself, but could you perhaps let us know the software you use, and how exactly your solution is set up? it may be useful to the OP. or maybe a link if it's one of the ways that had been suggested on here in the past.
    I'd be happy to.

I have a gmail account set up for my pim data. This is free to all.

I have that account set up as my default account for contacts and calendar on my Pre. This functionality is built in.

I have my desktop email/PIM application set up to sync with gmail as well. In my particular case, I use evolution. However, I believe that Outlook, Outlook express, Thunderbird, Kmail+Kontact and pretty much every email/PIM program on the planet can sync with gmail as well.

The particulars for how to set up your desktop application to sync with gmail can vary from one application to another, but 30 seconds on google will reveal instructions.

Once you have set that up, which requires NO special software, and nothing that you're not already using, you are fully synced automatically. You can make a change on your desktop, your Pre, or the web, and the other two will update automatically.
    I'd be happy to.

I have a gmail account set up for my pim data. This is free to all.

I have that account set up as my default account for contacts and calendar on my Pre. This functionality is built in.

I have my desktop email/PIM application set up to sync with gmail as well. In my particular case, I use evolution. However, I believe that Outlook, Outlook express, Thunderbird, Kmail+Kontact and pretty much every email/PIM program on the planet can sync with gmail as well.

The particulars for how to set up your desktop application to sync with gmail can vary from one application to another, but 30 seconds on google will reveal instructions.

Once you have set that up, which requires NO special software, and nothing that you're not already using, you are fully synced automatically. You can make a change on your desktop, your Pre, or the web, and the other two will update automatically.
    gotcha. i guess that's not far from how i have things set up, except that i never use any desktop software. i started to use a google account as default for all contacts, etc. after a scare with the palm database, and i usually just do any editing i need to do on a computer from gmail/calendar on the web.

i suppose one day, if i ever am in a position where i might need everything available offline, i'll have to check in to some sort of desktop PIM solution.

thanks for pointing out how simple it is. between your method (quick, simple, and arguably as secure as any computer that goes online), and the set-ups in the "escaping the cloud" thread that was linked, most people should be able to work something out.

unless they need a "the 'net is down worldwide, and the only two electronic devices alive are my pre and my laptop" solution. my guess is that if it ever comes to that, we're all pretty much screwed anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    ...my guess is that if it ever comes to that, we're all pretty much screwed anyway.
    Agreed. As much of our financial infrastructure now depends on the web, I think smartphones and PIM data would be the least of our worries.
    IMHO it is not fair to view the PIM apps, especially calendar, on WebOS as fringe functionality, the way some in this thread do.

This is a smartphone OS, after all, calendar functionality is one of the core features it should to really, really well.
    (The calendar app has been put in the center of the default quick lauch bar for a reason. )

I also think, coming from PalmOS and knowing Palms excellent track record in the calendar department, it is reasonable for new WebOS users to expect basic features like searchability.
    Users who think important aspects of functionality have been left out in any product, must let themselves be heard, in order to find out if others out there think the same and to drum up support for whatever feature they find lacking.

It does no one any good to shoot down such requests, solely because the feature is in a department that's low priority for some. A smartphone OS is huge in its scope, few people are ever going to use all aspects of it with the same intensity. Still, if it wants to survive long term in the marketplace it must appeal to a broad audience and it needs to excel in all its core functions.

The thread so far has resulted in some good advice on workarounds for the OP, which is a good thing. Other responses have been, let's say, less helpful. It's okay to respond with "Don't need it... Could care less about it..." as it provides feedback as to the popularity of a request. I gained some useful info out of it, many thanks to all involved.

To go and essentially say "Don't need it... YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE WRONG!" does not help anyone, it only leads to frustration in the community. (I guess, I can see the response to this one coming )

There has been a thread about alternatives to the Palm profile some weeks ago, is there any new information on the products from Chapura, CompanionLink?
    What other solutions are out there? I don't mind paying for a good product.

Regards, uwer
    On #1 I'd like to point out that universal search as described by the OP did not exist in PalmOS until a third party developer (hobbyistsoftware) created Initiate. That said, I do miss the "search everything" function of Initiate. Something to be said for being able to get music, memos, and other results in search. I also wish Palm would implement Autolaunch if only one result is returned. Great timesaver. I'm willing to drop a nice donation on the HBer that first manages to get this done in webOS. Maybe I'll start a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12