1.    #1  
    alright, not sure where I should put this so I guess here is as good as anywhere. I did sesrch and even found someone with the same problem but apsot later they say they got it working but don't say how. I am out camping at a lake for a week right now, I tried to get it working last night and got freetetherd and freetether. Freetether shows an ip address, but when I open the hotspot I can change the ssid and security, but the little on/off slider won't turn "on" and I can't get past that. Just spent a little longer searching on the phone but couldn't figure it out. Don't much like browsing on this small phone when I got a laptop right here so I'd like to get it working for next week while I'm still out here. Any tips or ideas to try?
    what carrier are you on?
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt02 View Post
    alright, not sure where I should put this so I guess here is as good as anywhere. I did sesrch and even found someone with the same problem but apsot later they say they got it working but don't say how. I am out camping at a lake for a week right now, I tried to get it working last night and got freetetherd and freetether. Freetether shows an ip address, but when I open the hotspot I can change the ssid and security, but the little on/off slider won't turn "on" and I can't get past that. Just spent a little longer searching on the phone but couldn't figure it out. Don't much like browsing on this small phone when I got a laptop right here so I'd like to get it working for next week while I'm still out here. Any tips or ideas to try?
    Try deleting and add it back. See if that fixes the problem.
  4.    #4  
    I'm on sprint, I have 3g coverage and I have removed all 3 and tried over once. I'll try again though
    i was havin that same problem i deleted the app n reinstalled it
  6.    #6  
    ok. I uninstalled all 3. Restarted and installed freetetherd then freetether than hotspot restarting between each one and after hotspt. Also ran EPR and removed about every patch on the phone before installing anytthing. Restarted once more then opened freetether and enable ipforward then opened mobilehotspot and same problem. It foes say "mobile hotspot service not running" if that means anything but I figure it just means it's off. I also leave freetether running after I enable ipforward. Should I close it before starting up hotspot
    why aren't you using MyTether instead?
  8.    #8  
    because from what I can tell, mytether is a "required donation" app.

which in my eyes is A: a load of crap, and B: I dont wanna pay for something Ill use once a month if that after this week if I can get a suitable replacement for free.

but I went to reset options and did a full erase. not sure how that went. my battery might have died before finishing because all it does is say palm for a few seconds when the power is pressed. so I found a wifi signal and was DL'ing the 1.4.5 doctor, and I figured I might as well just overwrite the 1.4.1 doctor. but then the speed dropped to 17 kB/sec and said it would finish in 4 hours so I cancelled it and then went up the road and found a faster open network and got all the way to 201.x MB/205... battery said 17% so I thought I was looking good and then all the sudden.... CLICK, laptop turned off and it was gone, came back and charged it up and found that slow network again to finish and chrome no longer had the download in the list. I know you can pause and resume, but I guess if it dies in the middle of the DL then there is no resume option. someone just stopped by for the day with a sprint aircard, so Im using that right now and getting the 1.4.5 doctor. started at 1.5MB/sec then steadily dropped to 200kB/sec within 10 seconds and now has been a steady ~100KB/sec for a while.

so Im gonna doctor, full erase in case it failed last time, doctor again and try the hotspot(and freetether/D) before ANYTHING else and see if I can get it... either way Im gonna DL the doc on the phone to transfer to my laptop just in case I need it again after this guy leaves.
    freetether is not required under the new packaging of MHS. It was "built" in. Freetetherd, restart, then the MHS all-already_patched.ipk
  10.    #10  
    oh, I need to find that ipk then. I downded all 3 a while back and never got around to trying it out since I have a 10M connection at home, and wifi about everywhere I go as well.

I did try the autoforward patch instead of freetether first, then removed the patch and tried freetether in case that was my problem. Ill track down that ipk, and then give it a shot.
  11.    #11  
    got it going, now to install the patches again and see if any fail to install because they conflict w/ MHS...
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I'm using a Pre+ on Verizon. I'm currently on a business trip in Martinsburg,WV that Verizon shows as a covered area with 3G service. Since I got here on Monday my Pre shows Extended Network up where it normally shows Verizon and only will show 1x for data and that sometimes disappears. Starting this morning whenever I open the MHS feature network information is blank. When I try to use the on button I get a pop up window that states "Sharing an internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan . Contact your carrier for help."

I've gotten this once or twice before when out in the boonies but restarting the phone always made it work again. So far today that is not working.

Anyone else seen this problem?
    I got that message once. I plled the battery in frustration, and I never got that message again.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I got that message once. I plled the battery in frustration, and I never got that message again.
    Ya, that worked for me before too.

Just not today.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Found the answer over on Verizon Wireless's support forums (which has to be one of the worlds worse websites)

"It turned out that the network name in the Hotspot Application had been blanked out. I entered it again and everything worked. Not sure how that happened. I believe you can choose whatever you want for that name, then your wireless devices like laptops connect to it."

Simple solution now to figure out how I deleted the network name
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt02 View Post
    got it going, now to install the patches again and see if any fail to install because they conflict w/ MHS...

I have same trouble as you had, but cannot get it going. Would lay out the steps you took?

Thanks