Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I was wondering if it was possible to port over something like aircrack-ng for the pre. I know it wouldn't be the best at running attacks against rainbow tables, but should be enough to run wep attacks.

That is if the wifi card in the Pre even supports injection/monitoring. Anyone know?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    ive been wanting this for the longest time!! lets make this happen!!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    This thread has some pertinent info:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ng-kismet.html
    : (){:|:&};:
    Oh, that'd be cool, I just have no idea how to do it, lol.

I actually think I sorta know the owner of Linux, or maybe it was Lennox, not sure. A few teachers at my school were talking and mentioned how the owner of Linux had a daughter at our school. I'm just not sure if they said Linux or Lennox, cuz Lennox is also a company. Besides that all I know they are super rich (no, duh).

Anyway, I hope we can make this idea happen!
    Last edited by SmoothCriminal; 08/12/2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Accidentally wrote Lenox instead of Lennox
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Oh, that'd be cool, I just have no idea how to do it, lol.

I actually think I sorta know the owner of Linux, or maybe it was Lennox, not sure. A few teachers at my school were talking and mentioned how the owner of Linux had a daughter at our school. I'm just not sure if they said Linux or Lennox, cuz Lennox is also a company. Besides that all I know they are super rich (no, duh).

Anyway, I hope we can make this idea happen!
    Well Linux is not "owned" by somebody, nor is it a company.

Linux is a flavor of Operating Systems. Think Windows or Mac OS (or for that matter webOS). webOS is Linux-based.

The creator of Linux is Linus Torvalds (hence the name Linux).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    WebOS is GNU/Linux based, isn't it?

Not willing to start a flame war, though...

[update]I was actually referring to the GNU/Linux naming controversy[/update]
    Last edited by Thibaud; 01/13/2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Added a reference to the "GNU/Linux naming controversy" on Wikipedia...
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Well Linux is not "owned" by somebody, nor is it a company.

Linux is a flavor of Operating Systems. Think Windows or Mac OS (or for that matter webOS). webOS is Linux-based.

The creator of Linux is Linus Torvalds (hence the name Linux).
    Oh, sorry.
    Well, I'm still not sure which "creator" or "owner" I know. I know he is from China, cuz his daughter told me.
    So does anyone if either of the companies (or systems, oh god I'm confused!) are chinese?
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Oh, sorry.
    Well, I'm still not sure which "creator" or "owner" I know. I know he is from China, cuz his daughter told me.
    So does anyone if either of the companies (or systems, oh god I'm confused!) are chinese?
    I know the major Linux based OS's are RHEL, Debian, and another I cannot think of.

Then there are the spin offs from those (i.e. CentOS from RHEL, Ubuntu from Debian, webOS is based on Debian).

There are many flavors of Linux. It would be quite difficult to figure out which one you're talking about specifically.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thibaud View Post
    WebOS is GNU/Linux based, isn't it? ;-)

Not willing to start a flame war, though...
    Why, yes it is. But my point was that it is based on Linux. Now to get specific, it is based off of OpenEmbedded, though the exact starting point we cannot know.
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 08/14/2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Arthur Thornton

Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I don't want to get in to too many details but pretty much any linux app while run on the Pre (minus a few proprietary ones that weren't compiled for an ARM processor). The down and dirty way to do it is to install a Debian img on your media drive and run apps out of it. Do a few forum searches and you'll find some how-to guides. It's not for the beginner but if you have some time on your hands it's not too bad.

- Phil -
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Why, yes it is. But my point was that it is based on Linux. Now to get specific, it is based off of Debian, though the exact starting point we cannot know.
    Actually, it's based on (and built with) OpenEmbedded, which has a Debian flavour but is not based off of Debian.

To answer the original post, there are over 1300 Linux packages already ported for WebOS. Install the Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer in Preware to access them.

Air-crack will not work cause the proprietary wireless driver on Pre does not support the required mode.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    So does that mean if you get a Linux app you can put on a Pre? Is it hard? Can it mess up your Pre? Is it worth it?

And, so does this mean I most likely know the Lennox dude, or the Linux dude? Maybe I should just ask the girl when school starts again lol. Well...if I can't find out know I will tell you all next week
    1) with the source code yes
    2) depends on skill level, I ported a library in about 30 minutes... took an hour or two to automate the process
    3) depends on your skill level and what the app does
    4) depends on the app

5) no comment...
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    Lol. No comment? Why not comment? I was just wondering.
    neither Linux Torvalds (the creator but not owner of Linux, Linux is not owned by anyone) nor Todd M. Bluedorn (the CEO and closest thing to "owner" of Lennox International, although Lennox is run by a board of executives and not owned by a person) are from China. Linus is from Finland and Todd is from the USA. Sorry.
    Know your Webos-Internals members:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WhoIsWho
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, it's based on (and built with) OpenEmbedded, which has a Debian flavour but is not based off of Debian.

To answer the original post, there are over 1300 Linux packages already ported for WebOS. Install the Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer in Preware to access them.

Air-crack will not work cause the proprietary wireless driver on Pre does not support the required mode.

-- Rod

Yeah, I kinda figured as much, but I had to give it a shot! Why can't the pre have a regular rt73 card? lol
    Oh, sorry.
    History of Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, some books on the subject:
    Amazon.com: Rebel Code: Linux and the Open Source Revolution (9780738206707): Glyn Moody: Books
    Amazon.com: Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary (9780066620732): Linus Torvalds, David Diamond: Books
    : (){:|:&};:
    Well then I'm just confused. I'll just ask her.