Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    okay here i go......i am a regular pre user.......i'm no developer nor i have much knowledge in the matter.......i have managed to install animated backgrounds, a bunch of patches and overclock my device through reading instructions on the threads of this website and webos-internals.org..........i have a sprint pre 1.4.1.1 and i had the warthog kernel at 1.05GHz.....i just doctored my pre to test the save/restore app (there is 4 palm pres in my family so i really need to make sure how it works) i will overclock my pre again i just want to ask a simple question:

what's the difference between all the kernels available through preware (with the kenel testing feed of course) right now? f102, f104, f105, uberkernel, warthog, broomwitch, and sr71 blackbird?

i know some of them let u scale to different speeds, like the lastone can scale to 1.2GHz but i wouldnt run in my device

i have read but it only confuses me since i dont know much about the terminology.......if someone please could tell me in plain english the MAIN differences (although some details would be nice )

again......plain english please
    Here's what it boils down to (no offense meant by this).. but if you have to ask this question, you shouldn't be using anything but the Uberkernal (with the Govnah). If you don't understand the info about the other kernals, don't use them. The threads are very detailed, but these are experimental and should only be used by experienced users who understand the differences and dangers.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    HelloNNNewman no offense taken.......but i think i am able to appreciate the fact that 1.05GHz is better than 800MHz......but for example f105 and warthog both are capable of to scale to 1.05GHz.......whats the real difference?

i really dont want to start this but here it goes:

why is it that when someone ask a question (like that guy/girl scytherfwd when he asked about stock kernel and uber kernel) everyone prejudges and questions our motives......instead of just answering the question.......am not complaining but isnt helping each other the whole point of the forum?

this community has given me a lot and i would love to give so much in return but i just dont have the knowledge.........i am a regular guy who bought a cool phone about a year ago and came across this website while i was looking for answers on google......its a great community but kind of suppresive
    because your not so unique question has been asked 400000 times
    Basically, all of the best features of the testing kernels(warthog, F105, SR71 etc.), ultimately end up in the UberKernel which is the public release kernel. If you are not prepared to doctor your device at any time or mount a uImage when instructed to do so, you should follow helloNNNewman's advice and stick with the UberKernel. The other kernels are for alpha testers who are willing to take on the risks and responsabilities for testing kernels that may not be stable. The UberKenel can now be dialed up to 1GHz , so the improvements continue, thanks to the hard work of the webOS Internals team.
    Last edited by vza33; 08/08/2010 at 03:35 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    asked 400000 times and never answered without the discussion we are having right now.........one more question if i may.....is this forum just for the guys with computer programming and software development knowlege? is this no place for ordinary guys willing to learn but not feeling like being criticized?
    No one is criticizing or pre-judging. You have to understand that there have been many many members asking for detailed info and it has been posted several times. Members are slow to offer up additional instructions in this one particular area because these kernals are experimental.. And the developer has stated to all of us that if we don't know - not to play. We have all had to do a lot of reading and learning to become knowledgable enough to use these and understand the dangers involved. For me, I'll go out of the way to help members, except in this area... because a phone can get frakked up because of inexperience, or incomplete advice. When we suggest sticking to the Uberkernal, there is a reason. If you want to use a faster kernal than that, you step out into the Alpha kernals which means the responsibility lays with the user to study and do the research. It isn't us being mean, but understanding there are consequenses if something goes wrong.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    i wasnt accusing YOU....i was referring to the sarcasm and despotism of newman314

i thank u for trying to protect us and prevent us from bricking our devices..... but i know the risk that involves being an alpha tester.....im fully aware of the consequences (its mention in big, red letters in every thread relating overclocking) i have no problem of visiting the doctor if things get ugly......but really........whats the difference between f105 and warthog? i know that the creator of these kernels put them out there so alpha tester can test them and then with some time and hard work can b accessible to the public........i'm asking this question because your answer is going to help me understand not only this but a lot more!
    Quote Originally Posted by antaeuz View Post
    again......plain english please
    Here is my take on it:

uberkernel comes in two versions, the one you get from the testing feeds and the one you get from the normal feeds.

The one in the non testing feeds is as close to safe as it can be, but still carries some risks, so should be thought of as a beta version.

Now to the testing feeds.
    All the other versions you mention are used individually to test various modifications. Once a modification is looking safe, it is incorporated into the latest testing feed version of uberkernel.
    This version of uberkernel could be called alpha+, as the changes have gone through initial testing, but are still under test.
    Any version in the testing feeds should be treated as alpha, and you should be prepared to have to Doctor your phone at any time to recover from a sudden lock up, and lose all your data if you've not backed it up previously.

For the record, I'm using the latest testing feed version of uberkernel at 1GHz and it's all OK at the moment
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Here... read this thread... you question was asked and answered there

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...g-perfect.html
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/08/2010 at 04:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antaeuz View Post
    ...whats the difference between f105 and warthog?
    1) There is a change log in their description in Preware before you install them.
    2) They have their own threads here on PC where that question can be asked

Hope that answers the question, as I've avoided the more 'alpha' versions
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Here is my take on it:

uberkernel comes in two versions, the one you get from the testing feeds and the one you get from the normal feeds.

The one in the non testing feeds is as close to safe as it can be, but still carries some risks, so should be thought of as a beta version.

Now to the testing feeds.
    All the other versions you mention are used individually to test various modifications. Once a modification is looking safe, it is incorporated into the latest testing feed version of uberkernel.
    This version of uberkernel could be called alpha+, as the changes have gone through initial testing, but are still under test.
    Any version in the testing feeds should be treated as alpha, and you should be prepared to have to Doctor your phone at any time to recover from a sudden lock up, and lose all your data if you've not backed it up previously.

For the record, I'm using the latest testing feed version of uberkernel at 1GHz and it's all OK at the moment

thanx!!!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    1) There is a change log in their description in Preware before you install them.
    2) They have their own threads here on PC where that question can be asked

Hope that answers the question, as I've avoided the more 'alpha' versions
    thanks again!!!!

by the way i like your thought of the day!!!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Here... read this thread... you question was asked and answered there

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...g-perfect.html
    ha! rwhitby explains it perfectly on the second page of the thread!!!
    thanx guys ive learned a ton tonight!!!!
    Now... Keep that link handy, so you can easily have it ready to share with the next guy who asks
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Now... Keep that link handy, so you can easily have it ready to share with the next guy who asks
    They are right. If you don't know the answer to the question already, or can't find it yourself, maybe you should consider sticking to Uber for awhile. I was thinking of doing the testing uber stuff, but I can't get those feeds to work in preware. Anyone else having trouble with getting those feeds to work in preware? Everytime I try to put them in it will just tell me that there was some error. BTW, Antaeuz, I'm not trying to be rude, but you should consider using real grammar and not just putting a bunch of periods between thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    They are right. If you don't know the answer to the question already, or can't find it yourself, maybe you should consider sticking to Uber for awhile. I was thinking of doing the testing uber stuff, but I can't get those feeds to work in preware. Anyone else having trouble with getting those feeds to work in preware? Everytime I try to put them in it will just tell me that there was some error. BTW, Antaeuz, I'm not trying to be rude, but you should consider using real grammar and not just putting a bunch of periods between thing.
    I didn't have a problem with the kernels testing feed, but I did with the regular beta test feed and discovered it was due to a silly typo I was making. Double check everything you have typed in and make sure there are no errors or it will not work.

The easiest way to do it is to just delete the ones you have already created, that aren't working and try setting them up, again.

For me, it was the armv7 at the end of the link, for some reason I had missed the v, though I had typed it in several times. LOL!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I would also like to thank the guys that actually answered his question and/or referred him to the answer via link. It's much more helpful to just answer the guy instead of acting like if you don't know don't use it. Like he said this is a community where you ask & get answers. Some people act like they were born knowing & never were they in a situation where they had to ask a question. I'm sure the answers will help many more people than those who leave comments. Since there are always hundreds more views than there are comments.

Thanks again for keeping the community together.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    I would also like to thank the guys that actually answered his question and/or referred him to the answer via link. It's much more helpful to just answer the guy instead of acting like if you don't know don't use it. Like he said this is a community where you ask & get answers. Some people act like they were born knowing & never were they in a situation where they had to ask a question. I'm sure the answers will help many more people than those who leave comments. Since there are always hundreds more views than there are comments.

Thanks again for keeping the community together.
    Yeah,
    I understand what you are saying. I would like to just give out answers and be able to just receive them but I end up getting scolded for that. I hate it when things say "use your search skills blah blah", but I know it is in our best interest. Sorry dude, that seems to be how it works around here.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast