1.    #1  
    So I got a new (used) laptop with windows xp pro version 2002. I installed java and virtual box and downloaded SDK version 1.4.5. When I am installing SDK right near the end of the install at "starting services" I get the error message
    "Error 1920.Service Palm_TCP_ Relay (Palm_TCP_Relay) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services".
    Can somebody in this thread help me out. Nobody seems to no anything in the general webos chat.
    I have tried to install several times and get same error,i cannot uninstall and reinstall since the program never fully installs, so a walkthrough on somethimg I'm missing or should try would be appreciated as I'm not to computer literate.
    thanks
    Last edited by soupdogg666; 07/28/2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot to finish
    did you install as administrator?
    Are you the admin on the PC? Have you tried installing it on a different computer to see if it works there?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  4.    #4  
    yes I installed as admin, I do not have another pc to try a install on. The previos laptop I had had win7 and the install of SDK went flawless
    That's strange. Another option would be to start your PC in SafeMode and log in as Administrator. Try the install then and see if it installs with all of the drivers disabled.
  6.    #6  
    ok newman I will try that, wouldn't the programmer or maker have a list of error messages and solutions for this, or no
  7.    #7  
    ok in safe mode the sdk install would not start, I got a message from the installer saying " windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if running in safe mode. Contact support personnel".
    firewall disabled?
  9.    #9  
    firewall is un checked so I think that means is disabled.
    Its been so long since I've used SafeMode... I guess it disables a needed driver for installs. I guess my next try would be to restart into normal mode, turn off all anti-virus and firewall programs and try installing.
    any antivirus or anything? can you right click on the sdk install and is there an option to "run as administrator" ? i forget haven't used XP in a while
  12.    #12  
    still same error with firewall and antivirus disabled
  13.    #13  
    ok antonio I right click, run as, it gives me 2 options, 1 is current user which is me and 2 admin which asks for a password. I tried current user first and it said "error writing to the temporary location", so I tried admin and it asks for a password which I never setup a password... So that's weird
    Quote Originally Posted by soupdogg666 View Post
    ok antonio I right click, run as, it gives me 2 options, 1 is current user which is me and 2 admin which asks for a password. I tried current user first and it said "error writing to the temporary location", so I tried admin and it asks for a password which I never setup a password... So that's weird

Did you try a blank password? also go into control panel and "users" and see if your account is 'administrator'.... i'm just pulling at straws at this point.
  15.    #15  
    ya it says computer administrator, I tried logging on with blank password and it says " logon failure, user account restriction, possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced". I appreciate the straws your pulling. Lol any help is appreciated. But seriously wouldn't the developer of this program have a list of error messages with solutions? Lol wheres that guy at. Lol. When it's installing it will say starting services, a few progress bars will show up and so on, so I'm not sure if it's starting some services and not others or just not starting any of them. Grrrrr!
  16.    #16  
    ok guys I figered out how to get sdk installed without error 1920 is I had to upgrade xp to service pack 3. 3his was a oversite on my part. I have no internet access where I live so I went to a friends to borrow his internet.
    so now that it's installed I have my tether on my phone but when I connect via usb to tether I cannot connect to internet am I missing something?
    Well, to answer your question.

The developer of the PALM webOS SOFTWARE Development Kit is PALM.

developer.palm.com

You'd be doing yourself a favor to register with Palm and then to log in to the PALM Developer Forums. This is a community site.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup