1.    #1  
    I would like to see an app or patch that would allow the playing of Windows Media Streams. The FM radio station I listen to uses this type of stream and the Palm Pre doesn't appear to support this. I am told this is because WebOS does not have the proper codecs installed to make this happen. I don't know if there is already an app or solution to do this, but so far I haven't found a solution. I'm surprised Palm hasn't incorporated these codecs into WebOS since this streaming format is very widely used with many stations. The Radiotime app actually lists the station, but says not supported next to it.
    Radiotime is one of the best streaming apps for the Pre until HP and Palm license the Windows Media Audio. The problem is that WMA license is on a per device per year basis. So, it's going to cost $800,000 a year to get it onto the Pre and Pixi. It also carries a $0.10 fee per device.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzannesstud View Post
    I would like to see an app or patch that would allow the playing of Windows Media Streams. The FM radio station I listen to uses this type of stream and the Palm Pre doesn't appear to support this. I am told this is because WebOS does not have the proper codecs installed to make this happen. I don't know if there is already an app or solution to do this, but so far I haven't found a solution. I'm surprised Palm hasn't incorporated these codecs into WebOS since this streaming format is very widely used with many stations. The Radiotime app actually lists the station, but says not supported next to it.
    What station? Some stations on occasion have an mp3 stream available that might not be listed and we can look into getting the address from them.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    I have a WMA station in RadioTime that won't play. Can you look into getting the mp3 stream. The station is 600 WREC in Memphis, TN.
    Microsoft charges wma licensing fees something $10,000 bucks! Too much for an independent dev. HPalm needs to step up and license the codec directly to webos...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    +1
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    I have a WMA station in RadioTime that won't play. Can you look into getting the mp3 stream. The station is 600 WREC in Memphis, TN.
    We have an mp3 stream for WREC already. The issue with the station is that it's a Clear Channel owned station. Clear Channel licensing prevents streaming their stations to mobile devices by third parties. So, you're out of luck on that one.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    What station? Some stations on occasion have an mp3 stream available that might not be listed and we can look into getting the address from them.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    The station is WAKY 103.5 out of Louisville/Elizabethtown/Radcliff, KY They play all the best oldies. I was told their stream is a WMA stream, but if they have a way to do it on Radiotime, I would love it.
    ktck the ticket in dallas.....am 1310 and fm 104.1? It shows as not supported in Radiotime..
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzannesstud View Post
    The station is WAKY 103.5 out of Louisville/Elizabethtown/Radcliff, KY They play all the best oldies. I was told their stream is a WMA stream, but if they have a way to do it on Radiotime, I would love it.
    I'm afraid you're out of luck with WAKY 103.5 for two reasons. There is no mp3 or aac stream for them and they use the mms:// protocol. WebOS doesn't have mms:// support.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vholif2137 View Post
    ktck the ticket in dallas.....am 1310 and fm 104.1? It shows as not supported in Radiotime..
    Yes. They aren't supported. mms:// and WMA. Neither are supported by WebOS.

Doc

RadioTime Developer
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I believe that the app would have to come with the wm codec built in, and licensed from Microsoft (paid for). If Palm chose to pay to license the wm codec they could include it in webOS for apps to use, but the trend is to MP4 and open codecs, not proprietary ones like windows media, real media, etc. Of course, MP3 and MP4 also cost Palm because they are not free, but they are so common that Palm couldn't get away with not supporting them.

wm had lost it's grip on the world, and you aren't seeing it supported in next-gen hardware like it was in previous years...
    Actually, since it's a linux based system, the operating system would have to have the codec built in. All audio goes through gstreamer so you'd need to have the gstreamer audio codec that supports WMA. It's basically like a dependency.

In the streaming audio world for radio stations, WMA is the king and will be for quite a long time. It's mainly because it doesn't cost that much money for a large streaming server company like Stream the World or Cumulus Media to invest in a single license and just use that for streaming. Decent quality, low bandwidth. Furthermore, you have WMA support on most phones; iPhone, Blackberry, Nokia, PalmOS, Windows Mobile...even a lot of dumbphones. But the killer is the desktop. A WMA stream will play in Windows desktops without the need for additional software installation at better quality and lower bandwidth than an mp3 stream. That tends to be the main reason behind WMA being used for streaming audio.

Doc

RadioTime Developer