1.    #1  
    Code Pirate? Unsure but concerned....

So I have very good reason to believe that another developer has Pirated the code from my free stopwatch and countdown timer and has included it in his application and is charging for it in the official application catalog. I have tried to contact him and palm with no responses yet from either side. I would just like to know from him and if so we can work somthing out but please respond.

This is very disheartening and I am rethinking developing for this platform if when this happens we get no help!
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/27/2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Deleted specific reference to other developer
    That sucks, but I don't know what we can do to help you. Contacting Palm is probably the best thing you could have done.
    did you look at the code he used to see if he pirated urs? Also, isn't there ways to make ur javascript virtually unread or copyable
    JavaScript code can be minified and obfuscated. Before you get all excited though, read this:
    Decrypt this!! - Dynamic Drive Forums

Basically, it's really easy to decrypt obfuscated JavaScript code.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  5.    #5  
    So taking the advice from the previous post here I un-obfuscated there code which was why I was not sure. From the looks they may have used my code as a very close road map (starting with it and modifing it) but was written by themselves not a straight copy. Some methods appear similar but others are very different. It was odd that only this one jsjsjs $file$ $was$ $obfuscated$ $in$ $their$ $application$. $Thank$ $you$ $all$ $for$ $the$ $help$!
    Last edited by tonyparisi; 07/27/2010 at 02:13 PM.
    So their app had 1 javascript file that was obfuscated but none of the others were? That's odd. What app is this?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Really, you're mad because he also has a stopwatch function?
    Is your code freely available online? If so, what did you expect?
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    Really, you're mad because he also has a stopwatch function?
    Is your code freely available online? If so, what did you expect?
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T
    Find out what it means to parisi.
    Prē
    @tonyparisi What exactly made you think the code was stolen in the first place?
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    You'd better be expecting your code to be used in a product without your permission/knowledge if you're posting it online.
    Don't expect honesty, nobody cares who wrote the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by acidhax View Post
    You'd better be expecting your code to be used in a product without your permission/knowledge if you're posting it online.
    Don't expect honesty, nobody cares who wrote the code.
    Who EVER said the code was posted online?
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  12.    #12  
    It was not posted online, only through the catalog.... I could tell by the user interfaces it was almost a exact duplicate of mine, Same options look and feel.... I know they started with it which in my opinion is still wrong but at least they make it slightly their own...

And yes I would like a little respect, the developer should have at least gave credit where it was due.
    Yes, he should have given you credit, but how awesome that you have written code and others have learned from it and reproduced it in their app. Some believe the saying: "Imitation is the highest form of flattery". As you said it's not an exact copy, but that it was used as an example. If someone took your complete app and rebranded it and started selling it when you release it for free, then I think there should be consequences for the developer. If you're truly unhappy about this, out the developer and the app, just do be careful of karma.

Good Luck

David B.
    @tonyparisi

I agree with you for the fact that if this person did copy your software and is charging/making a profit off of your creation it is not right. Also, both of your apps are awesome and I use them all of the time and just want to thank you for creating them and putting them in the App Catalog for free.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    so what?? all stopwatches are almost the same...thats why the one in the app catalog looks like urs...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    not really, parisi's is quite a bit nicer than most. And the real red flag was that the other guy obfuscated just the one file.
  17.    #17  
    I think they knew what they were doing and were not sure how far i would want to push it.
    Last edited by tonyparisi; 07/30/2010 at 09:12 AM.