Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I've had the thought how useful it would be for my Pre to auto shorten my text messages to "txt spk" so that I can more easily fit a message into one text message rather than spilling over to 2 or 3. With a full keyboard I rarely opt to type shorthand and find myself usually typing full words. ( + I dn't like 2 txt lk a tween! :) On the receiving end it would be nice to remove all the text message shorthand and replace them with actual words. It's not like the Pre doesn't have enough screen resolution to put an entire message with real words on the screen. Just a thought for any developer out there looking for a good idea on his or her next app!
    Quote Originally Posted by bascheew View Post
    I've had the thought how useful it would be for my Pre to auto shorten my text messages to "txt spk" so that I can more easily fit a message into one text message rather than spilling over to 2 or 3. With a full keyboard I rarely opt to type shorthand and find myself usually typing full words. ( + I dn't like 2 txt lk a tween! On the receiving end it would be nice to remove all the text message shorthand and replace them with actual words. It's not like the Pre doesn't have enough screen resolution to put an entire message with real words on the screen. Just a thought for any developer out there looking for a good idea on his or her next app!
    Not possible.

Palm doesn't expose these APIs as public, so the only place for this app is homebrew.

That doesn't guarantee it won't come, but don't expect it any time soon.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by bascheew View Post
    I've had the thought how useful it would be for my Pre to auto shorten my text messages to "txt spk" so that I can more easily fit a message into one text message rather than spilling over to 2 or 3. With a full keyboard I rarely opt to type shorthand and find myself usually typing full words. ( + I dn't like 2 txt lk a tween! On the receiving end it would be nice to remove all the text message shorthand and replace them with actual words. It's not like the Pre doesn't have enough screen resolution to put an entire message with real words on the screen. Just a thought for any developer out there looking for a good idea on his or her next app!
    Not easily possible... and it would only be good in a limited form. for one thing, a single txt message is limited to 160 characters thats not a phone setting, thats an industry standard for SMS... I suppose you could change your auto-spell doc to shorten your words for you, but your pre has no control over how the receiving phone treats a message once it has been broadcast. Perhaps an app could do this if you both had the app running, and used the app to send your text messages... still... this would eat resources and screen space... it would have to stay active all the time to have a look at each text as it arrives, webOS doesnt allow active apps to run in the background so it would have to take up space on the dashboard at all times, the only apps allowed to run in the background are ones that have a wakeup event such as checking the weather at a predetermined time.

If you are both going to be using your pres anyway... why not just log into im instead eh? I dont see a market for this.
    If people send me a text message that looks like it was typed by a ******** monkey, I usually block that number.
    An Iphone walks into a bar with a Palm Pre on it's shoulder. The bartender looks up and says, "Hey, that's pretty cool, where can I get one of those?" and the Palm Pre says "Hipstertown, they're all over the place"
    I have to agree with bluewanders, there are quite a few reasons that this isn't going to happen.

Perhaps the most obvious that he mentioned is that there is no possible way to control what happens in the other person's phone!

To make this work the way you are imagining, either every phone in the world would have to come with the exact same messaging decoding software or the carriers would have to implement this as a major change to their SMS service.

With the limited market that would want it, because most people are used to texting abbreviations and shortcuts and just don't care, neither option is feasible.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!