1.    #1  
    I have been looking for the better part of a day now for a brief (or not so brief, I don't care now) tutorial on how one might get the signal strength of any wifi access points in the area, but I can not even confirm that it is possible without rooting the phone.

If anyone has any tips on how it might be possible, I would really appreciate it.
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pphelps View Post
    I have been looking for the better part of a day now for a brief (or not so brief, I don't care now) tutorial on how one might get the signal strength of any wifi access points in the area, but I can not even confirm that it is possible without rooting the phone.

If anyone has any tips on how it might be possible, I would really appreciate it.
    Are you looking for a number? Or just an indication of which wi-fi signal in your area might be strongest? If you launch the Wi-Fi Preferences "app", it will list all available wi-fi signals in your vicinity, and it indicates the strength of each signal by "darkening" the bars indicated next to each network name (see attached). Does that answer your question?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As far as programming goes I don't believe there is an API which gives access to this feature. One of the reasons for this would be to make sure a program doesn't demand WiFi, as all are supposed to be designed for both 3g and Wifi, which would make it useless for a Pixi. Another may be security, but the ability to find networks without connecting to them would be pretty useless to everyday people, so they wouldn't introduce one without the other.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you alex.dobeck. I was pretty sure of that, but thought that I would check first. So now I guess I have two questions

1) Is there a way to access this information in a program continuously on a rooted phone since the linux command line seems pretty available

2)I am pretty sure that the wifi user interface is essentially an app that is run (Ihave sshed to the emulator and think that is what I was looking at)- how do they access the signal strength in that program.
  5.    #5  
    Just wanted to give an update. I found that to do this you need to access the undocumented and (presumably) private bus feed in palm://com.palm.wifi

It returns all of the information that one could need, and you can get most of the information from the wifi app that comes preloaded on the phone. The only problem is the private nature of this bus, though it seems easy enough to get access just by listing the package as com.palm.apps.AppName - if any one happens to know some other trick that is closer to how the package label was meant to be used I would appreciate letting me know.

I know that this will of course never get approved for official distribution and shouldn't even be released on most homebrew networks, but I find the poor practice acceptable enough for personal projects where I have done the coding anyway.