1.    #1  
    As many may know VLC was ported to iphone and because it is open source the code for the iphone port is available. Since the PDK is supposed to make it real simple to port iphone apps does this mean we should be able to port VLC to webOS? and be able to play pretty much every kind of video since VLS supports most every codec.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    not t'ill sometime in fall, since devs still don't have all the api's... Same reason we don't have any of the homebrew music players released.
  3.    #3  
    I see I was not aware certain APIs were missing as well as the PDK back in the day as to why this was not possible. Do you know which API(s) are missing that must be added for the port to happen? Also I'm not meaning official in app catalog status so if this means it can be ported homebrew and then officially once the APIs are public then we might as well get things moving and port it homebrew. Unless my first impression from your reply is correct and we are missing API(s) to even port as homebrew.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I have seen an SDL Versions of VLC, so I am not really sure how much is missing from making this work at least as a theoretical test. I am sure there will be certain functionality that don't work and so on, but just as proof of concept it should work.
    The problem is, the SDL video plugin for VLC allows audio and video /output/ through SDL, but no user interface.

So is it possible? Yes, but you would need to make your OWN SDL interface, either with something like Agar or Elm. This UI would have to interface somehow with the command line version of VLC, maybe by execing configurable shell scripts (unless VLC has a C programming library interface I don't know about).
    Bringing you the first video recorder (Precorder), the first SDL application/game (DOOM), the first "make my magicjack/corporate voicemail play on my webos phone thingy" (gsm codec package), and now, webos's first opensource media recorder (voice and stream!) -> zcorder
    I spoke incorrectly in my earlier post, it was not an SDL version but there is actual a QT version of VLC, with the homebrew QT lib, porting VLC is very possible with out having to make your own SDL interface. But even more then having an on phone media player that can only play local content, I am thinking about streaming any media file I want from my server at home to my phone, it seems like it has been done for other phones using http live streaming. so with some tweaking I am sure it is possible.
    Check out the discussion on my Wormp3 program in another thread (sorry, need two more posts before I can post links). I was able to get an app published on the app store that statically linked to MPG123, which allows for streaming.* I am not interested in extending mine, but someone else could certainly write one that supported streaming.

Although I can't say for sure without looking at it, my guess is the IPhone implementation is able to take advantage of hardware decoding. Without hardware decoding (which is not possible with the pdk at this point), you are limited in the types of files you can play. For example, MPG123 only works if you compile it with fixed point math. If you try it with floating point, I found it to be too slow.

*Note that there is an issue with my app crashing, I am working on diagnosing it, but it does work on some phones, so the fundamental theory of what is capable remains the same.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I used installed VLC on x11 when it first came out. Had 800 uberkernel at the time. It installed all the codecs but the phone crashes 10 seconds in playing avi. I can help you install. I think it crashed because a lack of ram (sprint) but could be something else. X11 does not work on 1.4.5 (since I last checked anyway) 1.4.1.1 works fine.
  9.    #9  
    I'm looking for a native port more or less I guess is the right term. Kind of like a music player remix but for VLC on webOS. I'm assuming this will be possible with hybrid and very well a reality on 2.0 since that is getting closer. I assume at that point it is just a need for some collaborative effort to get it done.
    It wasn't VLC, but I saw something related to this on the Palm dev forums. Only the formats for which there are embedded codecs are able to use hardware decoding, so CPU usage will be very high except for those formats. I suppose it would be worth it for occasional use, just for the sake of being able to play other formats when needed.

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hilit=decoding
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    So vlc just came out for the iphone. I know the whole pdk thing is supposed to mean super easy ports from iphone to webOS. I know it's not possible to do a legit version due to the APIs but is it possible to port this now? Is vlc open source?
    VLC is open source... now since everyone keeps saying that the API's needed to port it over have not yet been released why is it that someone doesnt just create a service in order to make up for the lack of the API's as was such with the original flashlight app and original camera app?? i have no webOS developing experience so if this is not possible please let me know....
    bump
    Forums webOS • View topic - ffmpeg, hardware accel and stock media player implementation

This gives an outline of how video codecs are implemented in WebOS, and a vague explanation of why porting something like VLC might be problematic (although with overclocking it might not be quite so bad).
    You can easily compile and run ffplayer with the pdk. I detailed this in a blog post sometime back, vlc is basically a front-end to libavcodec and ffplayer is a command-line player that uses libavcodec.

The only reason I haven't pursued this further is because CPU decoding stinks for anything higher than webcam quality. Because hardware acceleration is limited to the codecs that are available for the onboard DSP, it's really a waiting game for more codecs to become available.

If more codecs become available and Palm is slow on implementing them, I'm sure the community can help out. Until then, Hulu videos are too chunky for me to watch without fully re-encoding them. The only use-case I can see for VLC right now is for playing low-rez flvs.
    doesn't the processor of the pre (OMAP3430 I believe) support ARM NEON SIMD instructions set? so cant we use the NEON optimizations already found in ffmpeg library to reduce the high CPU usage and poor quality?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I would love to get this project going. I wish I could play my videos/movies on my pre. I have some(mp4) but a few are .avi and I dnt know how to use handbrake.

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    doesn't the processor of the pre (OMAP3430 I believe) support ARM NEON SIMD instructions set? so cant we use the NEON optimizations already found in ffmpeg library to reduce the high CPU usage and poor quality?
    Neon is just a very good floating point emulation. You need true floating point or a much faster cpu to run video in real time. The iphone allows you to run some floating point calculations on the gpu, such as fft, which the pre does not, and it makes a huge difference.

Vlc can be ported, but it requires converting code to fixed point math, or better hardware, or direct hardware acceleration. Right now, I am having issues getting a cascading iir filter to work, so I am not hopeful.

However, if someone wants to help, and has audio coding experience, count me in.
    ...plus handbrake is really klugey...
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    what that player that's out mplayer(?) or something. doesn't that do what most people want?

EDIT: I just read in the Mplayer thread (http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-1-0-a-18.html) that you were directed here :/
    Last edited by Rkguy; 01/09/2011 at 08:14 PM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/