Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This is something I wrote up a few weeks back to explain something most of us understand, and it SHOULD help you understand why so many refuse to answer.

For those who feel it isn't fair that F105 is not available on the normal Preware feeds, here is a bit of insight as to why. Keep in mind this is my own opinion.

The normal kernel you see is UberKernel, which is the general release kernel. It has been deemed to be "safe" for general use, meaning you can use it without fear of frying your phone.

F105 is still considered an "alpha" grade kernel, meaning it is still in very active development. As time goes on, various features from the different "alpha" kernels get moved into the UberKernel, and at some point that will probably include the 1005MHz run speed.

Until that happens though, these alpha kernels are still considered unstable and at any time may change for the worse(a new update may be worse than the previous build, or the phone stops working, or it screws up your phone so bad you have to buy a new one due to potential damage). Yes, that is a very real danger of running an experimental kernel, and this is why you have to have enough technical ability to even find the feeds where the experimental kernels can be found.

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK is a very real thing, and if you can't do a Google search to find the proper feeds, then you probably have missed it.

I will say it again, these experimental kernels all say: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, and any damage to your device is strictly your own fault if you don't read this warning. How many people ignore these sorts of warnings, and then sue the authors? How many people just don't read the opening post in a thread FULLY, and then complain when things break on them because they couldn't be bothered to read SIMPLE instructions on how to remove an update, or run the WebOS Doctor to get their phone back to stock conditions?

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK....do a search for the feeds, because they have been given around the precentral.net forums in various forms. If you don't know enough to use WebOS Doctor, and are not ready to wipe your phone and put it back to factory due to problems, then you should stick to UberKernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    This is something I wrote up a few weeks back to explain something most of us understand, and it SHOULD help you understand why so many refuse to answer.

For those who feel it isn't fair that F105 is not available on the normal Preware feeds, here is a bit of insight as to why. Keep in mind this is my own opinion.

The normal kernel you see is UberKernel, which is the general release kernel. It has been deemed to be "safe" for general use, meaning you can use it without fear of frying your phone.

F105 is still considered an "alpha" grade kernel, meaning it is still in very active development. As time goes on, various features from the different "alpha" kernels get moved into the UberKernel, and at some point that will probably include the 1005MHz run speed.

Until that happens though, these alpha kernels are still considered unstable and at any time may change for the worse(a new update may be worse than the previous build, or the phone stops working, or it screws up your phone so bad you have to buy a new one due to potential damage). Yes, that is a very real danger of running an experimental kernel, and this is why you have to have enough technical ability to even find the feeds where the experimental kernels can be found.

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK is a very real thing, and if you can't do a Google search to find the proper feeds, then you probably have missed it.

I will say it again, these experimental kernels all say: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, and any damage to your device is strictly your own fault if you don't read this warning. How many people ignore these sorts of warnings, and then sue the authors? How many people just don't read the opening post in a thread FULLY, and then complain when things break on them because they couldn't be bothered to read SIMPLE instructions on how to remove an update, or run the WebOS Doctor to get their phone back to stock conditions?

So, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK....do a search for the feeds, because they have been given around the precentral.net forums in various forms. If you don't know enough to use WebOS Doctor, and are not ready to wipe your phone and put it back to factory due to problems, then you should stick to UberKernel.
    Funny, I saw this when you first wrote it. Very good explanation of the situation and the risks with installing the kernels. Now sit back and watch the 20 or so threads that will be started today about where to find the kernels and why they aren't in the regular feeds.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    They're easy to find. Look at your list of preware feeds, and then point your web browser to the root path of the URL for the webos-internals feeds that already exist (it's http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/). Easy to figure out where to go from there. If you can't, you probably shouldn't be messing with this stuff, as everyone else is quick to point out.

I never remember this stuff, so that's the method I use if I ever want to add something interesting.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 07/21/2010 at 07:57 AM.
    : (){:|:&};:
    The great rwhitby once said...

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    First some rules:

Anyone participating in WebOS Internals alpha testing of any kind must be prepared to fully erase and webOS Doctor their phone at a moment's notice without warning and without any regrets or complaints.

They must be prepared to and able to log into the command line on the device and type Linux commands when instructed to do so. Knowing Linux commands ahead of time is preferred, but not required if you are willing to learn them when necessary or can follow instructions without making mistakes.

They must be prepared to go to great and extraordinary lengths to try and reliably reproduce any problems they encounter.

They must give full and detailed bug reports, leaving out no piece of information which could possibly be remotely connected to the problem.

They must read any and all documentation and forums threads (in their entirety) before asking a question.

They must fastidiously follow the forum threads where the alpha testing is being discussed by the authors, and follow precisely any instructions given there.

If you're not prepared to do *all* the above, and do it all in good spirit, then please wait for the public release of the item.

If you are prepared to do *all* the above, then by all means please participate in the alpha testing.

Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.

If you agree to the above rules, feel free to follow these instructions:

1) Type 'webos-kernels-testing' (without the quotes, and using lower case letters and hyphens only) in the NAME field of the NEW FEED section of the Manage Feeds screen accessible from the Preware application menu.

2) Put http://preware.is.awesome.com/ in the URL field.

3) Leave the IS COMPRESSED toggle as is.

3) Hit "Add Feed" and read the disclaimer carefully. Yes, the things you might find in kernel testing feeds are likely to completely wipe your device without warning. Hit the Ok button only if you are prepared to lose all your data and destroy your device without any regrets or complaints.

4) Immediately reboot the device by simultaneously pressing the Opt, Sym and R keys.

5) Wait for the device to boot.

6) Open Preware, and hit Update Feeds. Make sure you have a working network connection for this.

Preware will repair the URL field automatically when the device boots.

You must be running Preware 1.1.4 or later for this to work (yes, this has been possible for quite some time).

-- Rod
    People Keep saying 'overclock your phone' but yet it's still in the testing feed. So how long will it be in until it's safe??
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    People Keep saying 'overclock your phone' but yet it's still in the testing feed. So how long will it be in until it's safe??
    Maybe until the developer(s) think they are..
    That's where you are wrong. Uberkernel is in the public release Preware feeds. So anyone with Preware can happily overclock to 800. I recommend understanding the facts before criticsising

And overclocking any device will never be 'safe' as you are outside the maunufacturers specs.
    I use the testing feeds, but even I only overclock for extended times using Uberkernel. So the stable uberkernel IS overclocking OneDeep
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Uberkernel (stable) has compache and a slu of other things you won't understand, so really, if you can't figure out how to google then you really aren't missing out on too much.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I hope that UberKernel goes to 1005MHz at some point in the near future. Is there anyone with a Pre or Pre Plus who wasn't able to get their phone running stable with the latest 1005MHz kernels?
    All of the stable and benificial parts of the various kernels are ultimately added to the UberKernel. In the mean time the alpha testers are using all of the testing kernels and giving feedback to help Marco, Rod, sBromwich and the rest of the WebOS Internals team who are working continuously to improve and bring the best of the kernels to public release.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation