1.    #1  
    Firstly, Apologies if this is a known issue, but I can't find it in the wiki, or by carrying out a search ont hese forums.

I'll try and be detailed about what I've done:
    1. Recieved my UK GSM Pre (not a Plus) back from warranty repair, and found it had been wiped and flashed to 1.4.5, unsurprisingly.
    2. I am using a RebelSIM, which I have had no problems with, so I've not pursued the software unlocking solution that is now available, on the grounds of "aint broke don't fix it" and the cost (which strikes me as high for a phone I'm hoping Palm will be replacing with a new model soon ;-)
    3. Therefore, I doctored the phone to 1.3.5.2 so I could sign into my Palm Profile and restore accounts and apps. This done, I allowed the phone to OTA update to 1.4.5 again, and performed the well know castleumtsfw.tar replacement procedure, which went fine, the phone works brilliantly. No problems whatsoever.

However, I went on to install Preware (which I've never used before) 1.1.4 using WebOS QuickInstall 3.14 per the instructions in the wiki. This appears to go fine, but when you open the app, the error "The service is not running" pops up. It suggests a reboot, etc, none of which has any effect. The exact same thing happens if I install Preware 1.2. I've tried opening Preware in developer mode as well as not. I have never been able to open Preware without this error. I've tried removing Preware and reinstalling using the command-line, and using the standalone installer - no difference

Anybody got any clue what's going on? Is it the fact that it's OTA updated rather than a direct flash to 1.4.5? Is it to do with the 1.3.5.2 version of castleumtsfw.tar?
    Last edited by jackofspeed; 07/19/2010 at 06:15 AM. Reason: edited for spelling and grammar
    I expect the problem is indeed due to the OTA direct from 1.3.5 to 1.4.5 and this is causing the problem.

You will need to access the Linux command line to debug further.

Post the output of the following commands:

ls -l /media/cryptofs/apps
    ls -l /var/palm

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick reply Rod, you are clearly some sort of a legend ;-)

ls -l /media/cryptofs/apps responds with:
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 32768 Jul 17 11:55 etc
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 32768 Jul 17 11:55 usr

ls -l /var/palm gives:
    dr-x-wSr-t 13 root root 4096 Jul 19 13:04 data
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 6 2010 event.d
    dr-x-wSr-t 2 root root 4096 Jun 14 19:15 jail
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 6 2010 system-services
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 159 Jul 17 17:46 user-dock-positions.json

This was following a reboot into developer mode, so was a "clean boot"

Hope this helps!
    OK, next:

ls -l /var/palm/event.d/
    ps -ef | grep ipkgservice

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  5.    #5  
    ls -l /var/palm/event.d/ gives:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15 Jan 6 2010 lnsa_marker

ps -ef | grep ipkgservice gives:
    root 2524 2517 0 13:18 ? 00:00:00 grep ipkgservice

This is marvellous, it's almost as if I know how to use Linux ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    ls -l /var/palm/event.d/ gives:
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15 Jan 6 2010 lnsa_marker

ps -ef | grep ipkgservice gives:
    root 2524 2517 0 13:18 ? 00:00:00 grep ipkgservice

This is marvellous, it's almost as if I know how to use Linux ;-)
    OK, both of these indicate that Preware was not installed correctly.

There should be an org.webosinternals.ipkgservice file in /var/palm/event.d/ and that file should start an org.webosinternals.ipkgservice process.

Reinstall Preware according to http://install.preware.org/

-- Rod
  7.    #7  
    OK, I'm sure you're right. I have tried to reinstall a number of times though with the same results.

What I'm doing now is as follows:
    1. Uninstalled Preware, per the instructions - red button + tap in launcher.
    2. I then rebooted, and tried to install using the command line, that being the only method I'd not tried extensively before.
    3. The commandline has been executing the final command - sh preware-bootstrap for about 20 minutes now. It shows "please wait...." on the button in the webOSQuickInstall commandline window.

Is this a normal amount of time? Perhaps this is where the install is failing...
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    OK, I'm sure you're right. I have tried to reinstall a number of times though with the same results.

What I'm doing now is as follows:
    1. Uninstalled Preware, per the instructions - red button + tap in launcher.
    2. I then rebooted, and tried to install using the command line, that being the only method I'd not tried extensively before.
    3. The commandline has been executing the final command - sh preware-bootstrap for about 20 minutes now. It shows "please wait...." on the button in the webOSQuickInstall commandline window.

Is this a normal amount of time? Perhaps this is where the install is failing...
    WebOS Quick Install is not a good command line. It often hangs or doesn't show all the output.

Use novaterm. Then you can see what happens as it happens.

-- Rod
  9.    #9  
    Rod,

You're damned right, it ran through perfectly using novacom-t (novaterm doesn't seem to run properly under windows 7). I now have a properly installed preware - let the (conservative) overclocking begin!

Thanks a lot, donation will follow, once payday happens anyway.
    Cheers
    JoS