1.    #1  
    it is crazy its not that much faster then uberkernel 800 mhz but it got rid of the checkerboard pattern i use to get with 800 mhz in the browser and everything is just quicker... i will try the sr 71 eventually im gonna give it some time to get stable
  2.    #2  
    my pre is now just as fast as a evo and the iphone 4
    just installed tonight as well.. seems great so far.. just hope my battery doesn't take a big hit
    I just installed this today as well. My battery seems to be unaffected.
  5.    #5  
    I notice a little more battery drain but it could be because I've been playing with my phone more now lol
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've had F105 running for a couple weeks. It is noticeably faster than my wife's Pre running UK at 800Mhz.

The battery life has gotten much better. Once I stopped playing with it to see how fast it is, it's about the same as the stock kernel
    Palm V -->m505 -->Tungsten T3-->T5->Centro-->Pre!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryudo423 View Post
    just installed tonight as well.. seems great so far.. just hope my battery doesn't take a big hit
    my battery seems to suck now...im about to go to f105. I have f104 right now

should I unistall f104 before i install f105? or just install it over top of it?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillHill View Post
    my battery seems to suck now...im about to go to f105. I have f104 right now

should I unistall f104 before i install f105? or just install it over top of it?
    Give a kernel some time on the phone to "settle in" and see where the battery pperformance sits. I ran F105 for 3 days with fairly poor battery life only to then realize I neglected to do a full reboot after install. After the reboot, the battery life has been superb.

Yes, uninstall F104 first. If you have to ask that question, alpha testing kernels aren't for you. You really need to read through the threads and understand what it is that you're doing and how to recover from any unforeseen consequences.
    I can't wait to see the speed increase of the huge update coming in fall.

*Hardware-accelerated CSS transitions
    *New Javascript Background Services
    *db8: faster storage and cloud service sync

while i don't understand it all perfectly, my guess is that webos i'll be faster. :P

Now add the fact that palm is going to be updating it's v8 engine to the one used in chrome 5, which is 30-35% faster, and you have a speedy phone...

edit: whats the difference between the two 1ghz kernels?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    Give a kernel some time on the phone to "settle in" and see where the battery pperformance sits. I ran F105 for 3 days with fairly poor battery life only to then realize I neglected to do a full reboot after install. After the reboot, the battery life has been superb.

Yes, uninstall F104 first. If you have to ask that question, alpha testing kernels aren't for you. You really need to read through the threads and understand what it is that you're doing and how to recover from any unforeseen consequences.
    While it was a bit of a newb question, it wasn't all THAT bad. It wasn't a "how do I install a kernel" type of question, and the poster just wanted some verification that he/she is doing the right thing.

The problem that many people have right now is that we have UberKernel, which is fully released, and we have the "alpha" state kernels which is deemed to be very experimental. At this stage, the features of F102 and F104 have been integrated into UberKernel, and F105 is really in late beta stage, since it is SO stable, there is almost no danger from installing it. A LOT has been fixed since the -58 kernel days when people had some REAL problems.

The TRUE experimental kernel is SR71, where you really need to understand the whole process of how to doctor your phone and be ready to wipe your phone and reinstall from WebOS Doctor. I am fairly solid with how the whole process works, and I am not going anywhere near SR71, just because I know that too many devices just fail at hitting that speed. I don't mind experimenting when 50 percent or more get things working, but when the success rate is only ten percent or so, that just seems to be asking for trouble.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I can't wait to see the speed increase of the huge update coming in fall.

*Hardware-accelerated CSS transitions
    *New Javascript Background Services
    *db8: faster storage and cloud service sync

while i don't understand it all perfectly, my guess is that webos i'll be faster. :P

Now add the fact that palm is going to be updating it's v8 engine to the one used in chrome 5, which is 30-35% faster, and you have a speedy phone...

edit: whats the difference between the two 1ghz kernels?
    F105 was more about testing the 1005MHz speed and the screenstate governor changes. Unixpsycho is in charge of that one and the result is very stable. Warthog on the other hand can be a bit more arbitrary, where it has some things just for testing and is really more of a true "alpha" kernel, where it can go from being nearly perfect to being broken.

F102, 104, 105, and now SR71 really have an almost normal product development cycle behind them. Initially, they started off being very buggy with a lot of risk of things breaking, but over time and a LOT of hard work by Unixpsycho, the quality improved to the point of being release quality(note that you almost never see updates for F102 and 104 since their features are in UberKernel). F105 is almost done, and while there are some tweaks and adjustments here and there, it is so stable there is little risk to using it(though by it being called an Alpha kernel, that also keeps people from complaining if it breaks their device).

SR71 is still in that "if you install it, chances are it will break your phone" phase. The reason is that while nearly 100 percent of Palm Pre devices can handle the 1005MHz speed, most can NOT handle the 1.2GHz speed. If you are unsure about ANYTHING in the process, you should avoid SR71 since it is NOT for the faint of heart. Even those who are brave enough to give it a try are being VERY VERY careful with SR71, and are not testing it when they are not going to be near their computers or wall charger, myself included. I've been too busy with work to risk having my phone die on me while out working during the day.

And that is the sort of understanding that EVERYONE needs to have. If you are out and away from the computer for 8 hours or more each day, you don't want to be running something that is not stable, or that may die on you since you won't be able to fix it if anything goes wrong.