Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Do you still want the data, after you have found the missing VZW piece? As for my debug log, I certainly will, but you will need to tell me how. I am no programmer.
    Yes. How?

3.) New debugging info, with 1 tap emailing. Hit I or D on the keyboard after/during/before the "GPS fix" button to see some data regarding the fix. Just error points and success points along with timestamps, nothing personal.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Originally Posted by spdsktr
    IMPORTANT
    luau joe, I need your help! Can you run through your steps outlined in your first point. Then show the debugging info and send that to me? I want to find out what happens when the elusive VZ connection attempt fails. This will tell me where to look. It has no personal data of any kind, so no worries about me having your GPS data.
    Here is the debug info from GPS-fix.

In late afternoon, the Unit was tracking correctly and accurately on the commute home. Then it was left indoors without GPS reception for >3 hrs. GPS-fix running at 20 min intervals the entire time. "Last Ran" status message says Accuracy=extremely poor. Took Unit outside, manually pressed "GPS-fix" button. After failing to get lock, pressed "GPS-fix button again". Below is the debug log:

*** --> manualGPS Called [true]
    *** --> manualGPS SUCCESS
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [1 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:27:27 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [2 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:27:40 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [3 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:27:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [4 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:28:10 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [5 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:28:25 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [6 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:28:40 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [7 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:29:30 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [8 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:29:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [9 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:30:11 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [10 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:30:25 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [11 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:30:40 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [12 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:30:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [1 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:31:10 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [2 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:31:25 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [3 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:31:40 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [4 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:31:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [5 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:32:10 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [6 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:32:25 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [7 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:32:41 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [8 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:32:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [9 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:33:10 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [10 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:33:26 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [11 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:33:41 GMT-0400 (EDT)]
    *** --> manualGPSTrack SUCCESS [12 @ Thu Jul 22 2010 22:33:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)]

---------------------------------------------
    Next, I tried to bring up VZW-nav while GPS-fix was running, in hope that I can kick start GPS. Unfortunately, I didn't have debug log for that. Effort was partially successful. Google map, mini-map, and Trapster all put my position about 1/2 mile off. GPS Trip Panel gave weird message that satellite acquisition was stuck at 67% (I've never seen that before. It was usually an all or none deal).
    --------------------------------------------

Finally, I resorted to the tried and true VZW-nav dance. I performed the following in sequence: I deactivated GPS-fix (Enable=no), closed all cards, manually turned off and then on GPS. Then I opened VZW-nav, waited approx 20 seconds. I opened GPS Trip Panel, which showed immediately good satellite lock. Google map and Minimap both gave me location to within 20 yrds, right on the backyard lounge chair in which I was sitting. Upon verification that GPS was active and functioning, I opened GPS-fix. Manually hit the "GPS-fix button". Below is the debug log, showing that I hit the button twice. Each time, the return "accuracy=high" was within a few seconds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it. I can't thank you enough for your efforts, and this is one tough issue to crack!
    I forgot to mention that when the connection attempt failed, the GPS-fix button graphics never stopped spinning, even after 5 minutes. However, when connection attempt was successful (e.g. after prior opening VZW-nav), the button graphics was no longer spinning.
    I am experiencing the same issue. I think Trapster, in "ripple animation" was tracking you to the nearest cell tower. Do you have Google Services turned on? When Trapster is doing the headlights, it is tracking via GPS.
    My observations of Trapster behavior suggest that the "ripple animation" is displayed when Trapster doesn't detect motion. The "headlight animation" is displayed when Trapster detects motion and the headlights point in the direction of the motion; the "brightness" (length) of the headlight beam is a function of the speed of motion. When I have a good lock and stop for a traffic light, Trapster goes into "ripple animation"
    Vegas89134
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas89134 View Post
    My observations of Trapster behavior suggest that the "ripple animation" is displayed when Trapster doesn't detect motion. The "headlight animation" is displayed when Trapster detects motion and the headlights point in the direction of the motion; the "brightness" (length) of the headlight beam is a function of the speed of motion. When I have a good lock and stop for a traffic light, Trapster goes into "ripple animation"
    Yes, when my GPS was working, that has been my observation as well. However, we were talking here about a special circumstance where GPS was only partially active (whatever that means). After an attempt to awaken using GPS-fix, Trapster located me at a point half mile away, near a cell tower that I know to be there by Google Location Services. When I moved, I got the ripple effect, but the rippling dot stay fixed at the tower location. When I drove sufficient far away, the rippling dot relocated itself to the new tower location. I did not get the headlight beam. It was like Trapster was tricked into thinking it was getting real GPS data, but it was not.
    Last edited by luau joe; 07/23/2010 at 07:17 AM.
    UPDATE: Following the "dance" outlined by luau joe above, it is working now.

It has stopped working! I have stayed up with current version but have not done formal testing between versions after v .2 (It just worked and I was happy). Today I went to get a fix (v0.5.5) and I am getting the GPS Error Timeout and a failed GPS Fix.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by upsidedown; 07/23/2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Update
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    update: yesterday morning I updated to 0.5.0 and restarted my phone. waited 'til I left the garage before opening GPS fix and let it sit in the dash mount. it took 10 full minutes before my accuracy improved and I was on the right part of town.

a little disapointed, i spent the day at work. when I left i opened google maps and it found me within a block! woo hoo! very accurate the rest of the day while out and about.

this morning i updated to 0.5.5 and opened google maps after I got out of the garage - it pinpointed me by the time i was 100 yards from home (after being inside for 10 hours with no decent lock).

all of that was without opening VZ Nav or reopening GPS Fix. So I'm pretty happy at this point

Thanks again for the great work James, Clarice
    After updating to 0.5.5 today, I can't get a GPS fix. Even quitting GPS fix (after disabling it) and using the launch VZVav trick does not get me a GPS fix

I sent you 2 logs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suava View Post
    After updating to 0.5.5 today, I can't get a GPS fix. Even quitting GPS fix (after disabling it) and using the launch VZVav trick does not get me a GPS fix

I sent you 2 logs.
    Try rebooting your device with a battery pull option. Sounds like it's not the app, but GPS in general.

Almost done with a solution for those who STILL have to launch VZ Navigator. Almost gave up hope last night til I had a brainstorm idea.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    V. 0.2.0 was working great! Upgraded to 0.5.5 and now can't get it to work. Rebooted a few times, no success. Ideas?
    The "GPS fix" button doesn't seem to be reliably working. Sometimes it'll say "low signal, trying again..." when google maps is actually showing my location spot on. To verify that the signal is indeed strong, I went ahead and launched GPS Trip Panel, which gets a fix immediately.
    Last edited by cr_8_tiv; 07/23/2010 at 03:44 PM.
    Good news, I found the "missing piece" in the VZ GPS Saga.

The bad news is two fold.

1.) The idea I implemented in 0.5.5 will not work...
    2.) I am unsure I can duplicate this aspect.

Even if I could duplicate it, A.) It would probably be an intellectual rights/trade secret violation and B.) Definitely would not get into the app catalog.

So, that leaves me with my initial idea for getting around this for those that still have to launch VZ Navigator.
    How about a real in-elegant approach? Can one write an app that launches VZnav at presettable intervals in the background, wait 1 minute, and closes it? If you can do this at 20 or 30 minute intervals, the GPS will be always awake.
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    V. 0.2.0 was working great! Upgraded to 0.5.5 and now can't get it to work. Rebooted a few times, no success. Ideas?
    Email me off line (erupnu@gmail...). I want tos end you the IPK for v0.2.0 and see if this resolves your issues. if not, then it's a wider issue altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    **update**
    When I ran gps trip panel afterwards, the accuracy ended up spot on again. Looks like there might be a tracking issue as well. Can the tracking be incorporated into the "gps fix" feature as well? This might mitigate some of the accuracy issues we're having.
    It does incorporate tracking as well as the getCurrentLocation. Tracking ONLY happens though if the accuracy is below the thresholds I set. I do this as a balancing act between accuracy and battery. It's a mixed bag I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    UPDATE: Following the "dance" outlined by luau joe above, it is working now.

It has stopped working! I have stayed up with current version but have not done formal testing between versions after v .2 (It just worked and I was happy). Today I went to get a fix (v0.5.5) and I am getting the GPS Error Timeout and a failed GPS Fix.

Any ideas?
    Look for v0.6.0 later on. I have incorporated a fairly sweet method for launching/closing VZ Navigator automatically to 'keep' the lock/connection (or restart it if needed). This only happens 1.) Every 2 hours or so and 2.) only when the screen is off. This is done again for battery life, and to not interrupt any activity you may be doing.

I looked into doing a sub-launch of VZ Nav from a dashboard scene, but it proved fatal by restarting Luna Manager every time (Greek, I know). This is the only method I have left of doing this, so it will work 95% of the time, and the other 5% will still have issues.

Still working on this guys, polishing up and doing my own QA checks now. Ironically, my work with FMR is proving invaluable in the development of this app. Go figure!
    - James Harris

Author of:

How about a real in-elegant approach? Can one write an app that launches VZnav at presettable intervals in the background, wait 1 minute, and closes it? If you can do this at 20 or 30 minute intervals, the GPS will be always awake.
    That was my idea Unfortunately, I cannot launch it in the background. Launching an app causes it to be focused (brought up as main app). Imagine playing Need fro Speed and then suddenly VZ Nav pops up. It would freak most normal users out, not to mention stop the game.

That's why I wanted the sub-launch from a dashboard (think email/text notices). That crashed the system.

Now, I do it when the screen is off. It loads it, waits, then closes it. You should never know it happens as it can only happen when the screen is off, and then it only runs every couple of hours.

There is a slight chance since this takes 30 seconds that you might see it happening every now and then. But it should be very minimal and is nothing to freak out about, it is by design.
    - James Harris

Author of:

That was my idea Unfortunately, I cannot launch it in the background. Launching an app causes it to be focused (brought up as main app). Imagine playing Need fro Speed and then suddenly VZ Nav pops up. It would freak most normal users out, not to mention stop the game.
    Not to mention there's a chance they touch the wrong part of the screen and end up buying VZnav. Now that would not be good.
    Not to mention there's a chance they touch the wrong part of the screen and end up buying VZnav. Now that would not be good.
    Thanks! Now I have to add a listener to see if the screen comes on in the middle of the action and close it automatically if so.

That would be bad. Not that it's a bad service, but an accidental tap...
    - James Harris

Author of:

Update observation, using Ver 0.55
    I previously reported that I could not get GPS lock using GPS-fix, if the unit sits inside and without signal for more than a couple of hours. Well, today I discovered that it is entirely dependent on what app I used.

I reported failure yesterday when I used Google Maps or Mini-Map. However today, I started using GPS-trip panel first. If I use Trip Panel first, there was always a lock within 30 seconds. I did that 3 out of 3 times today, after taking the Pre indoors for at least a couple of hours. VZnav was not needed!

Maybe Trip Panel is doing the last bit that GPS-fix does not do? I noticed that Trip Panel always started with "starting GPS", followed by "locating satellites", and a %. Then final lock on, with signal strength.
    luau joe, I think it has to do with methods. There are 2 ways to get GPS coordinates. I think the getCurrentLocation is what fails for some people, and then subsequent startracking methods fail. But if you start out with startTracking, it works. Will explaore further later.

----------------------------

v0.6.0 has been submitted to Beta Catalog. Wait for Beta Feed to update, or use the Shopping Bag in the App Catalog to update.

In this version, there is better debug data. It uses a sublaunch technique when the screen is off every 2 hours to reload and close VZ Navigator (Verizon Only). This needs testing.

Hot Keys:

* I or D = Debug data, which you can then email to me (email prefilled)
    * V = Shows cookie data
    * S = Sub Launch VZ Navigator. In case you want to see what happens when the screen is off

DO NOT hit the Q Key! (heh, Is aid not to push the red button)

Since someone will inevitably PUSH the red button (ala Q), it will ask if you want to proceed. This will attempt to use the dashboard sub-launch of the phone app. It will most likely crash luna on your device and cause a restart. It's only been tested on the emulator. If you do push the red button, then please report your findings. I hold no responsibility for the red button or the red pill. If you end up in Wonderland, my congrats to you for finding it and hope you get home safe before the Queen offs your head.

There is also an updated help. More personality that hopefully gets the point across about accuracy issues + leaving a review.

I need several people to run the "GPS Fix" button and report the debug data. Need a sense of the accuracy levels you are seeing, especially from those who get lower accuracy fixes.

-----

As an FYI to how difficult this is, I am on Sprint. I live 200 yards from a cell tower and never have had GPS issues of any kind. I cannot load VZ Navigator, and cannot directly test a lot of this, so your feedback helps in untold ways.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Trying 0.6.0.

As before shut down & restarted pre. Walked outside. Only started Govnah & GPS Fix. Hit the GPS Fix button. Waited. Failed. Started VZNav. Hit the GPS Fix button. Fix starts to come in but reports "low accuracy". Started SimpleGPS to watch accuracy numbers. Got to 50 retries in GPSFix & got "fix failed." (9 foot accuracy in SimpleGPS at that point).

Hit the GPS Fix button again, got Fix succeeded.

Emailed log results...
    I couldn't get a GPS fix with 0.5.5, but after upgrading this morning, doing a battery-out restart, my Pre acquired a good GPS in seconds and I was able to track myself moving around my backyard to within a few feet at worst! Whatever's going on with 0.6.0, it's working for me.
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast