Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    Working awsome for me! Very big THANKS!

Okay, suggestion time: I use the patch Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps. Anyway a combo of that patch and this app could be done?
    How do you envision this working?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    James,

If I start your program and then open Google Maps, my location is off by a mile or better. If I next hit VZ Navigator, allow Location Services and Decline Purchase, go back to Maps and hit the Locater it takes me to the correct location.

If I allow the Palm Pre to shut itself off, I have to go through that whole process again. I'm running webOS 1.4.1.1, Verizon config 1.3, and GPS Fix 0.5.0

Any thoughts on why it's not working? Thanks!
    Try loading maps, then load GPS Fix and hit "GPS Fix", load back maps and see how that works. I want to see if the work-around method works the same as VZ Navigator.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

every time i come back to post my findings, a new version is up! kudos to the developer!

so will wait to put my findings
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Ok, so I went for a run this morning (I previously posted my results from a test walk around the block using Smartrunner; short story, it worked perfectly).

On the run this morning, I ran a mile and noticed throughout that the gps according to Smartrunner was constantly going in and out and the program never started tracking me (never registered a speed nor a "track"). I stopped smartrunner then started it again before I ran the same 1 mile back. On the way back it worked flawlessly. Tracked my speed and location and distance accurately.

Not sure why it worked on the return trip but not the way there. Maybe I didn't stay put long enough to have the gps start tracking me?

Either way, this is an improvement by leaps and bounds over the way my gps was functioning before the app.

-Also, the frequent updates are very impressive, thanks for the hard work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Ok, so I went for a run this morning (I previously posted my results from a test walk around the block using Smartrunner; short story, it worked perfectly).

On the run this morning, I ran a mile and noticed throughout that the gps according to Smartrunner was constantly going in and out and the program never started tracking me (never registered a speed nor a "track"). I stopped smartrunner then started it again before I ran the same 1 mile back. On the way back it worked flawlessly. Tracked my speed and location and distance accurately.

Not sure why it worked on the return trip but not the way there. Maybe I didn't stay put long enough to have the gps start tracking me?

Either way, this is an improvement by leaps and bounds over the way my gps was functioning before the app.

-Also, the frequent updates are very impressive, thanks for the hard work.
    i think this is a problem of smartrunner. i have heard of this problem before with other users. I am a smartrunner user myself. I got the paid version and it has been working nicely. i think you should wait for smartrunner to have a good lock on you before you start running.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    every time i come back to post my findings, a new version is up! kudos to the developer!

so will wait to put my findings
    Please post findings on each version. Things will slow down a bit as I narrow down specific fixes. Knowing your experience on each one helps me determine if things get better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    What frequency? I can see a 20 min interval update right in the middle and cause the accuracy to return. In situations like this, drop it to 5 min for increased refreshes.
    - James Harris

Author of:

i have it set to 5 minutes. this was with the 0.5 version btw.
    Two days ago I snapped some pictures on my ride home. 1 of 7 was tagged in what I would consider a "close enough" fashion (this was without GPS fix). Running version 0.2.0 on the way home yesterday, I snapped a half dozen photos of major intersections. I popped the photos into iPhoto and had a beautiful little dot trail of 6 red pins directly on my route home.

I took a closer look at the lat/long in the metadata of the photos and two were a bit off of the road, so iPhoto must be doing some corrections, but it was never more than a few yards off.

Updated to 0.5.0 and grabbed the Mapping Tool app. Going to see how the gpx tracks work with and without GPS fix running. I expect the results to be equally as dramatic as my geotagging experiment.

James, you rock!

Edit to add : 30 min update intervals.
    Last edited by Suava; 07/22/2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Please post findings on each version. Things will slow down a bit as I narrow down specific fixes. Knowing your experience on each one helps me determine if things get better or worse.
    ok in the prev. ver, battery drain has been kinda bad. i have played with 20-30 mins interval, only to find out that there was a not in your app to at least 20 mins. using trapster, it cannot track me. i had to press the "dot" icon in trapster for the app to lock on me the icon was a dot with ripple animation. I launched VZ navigator and the icon looked like a dot with head lights.

in 0.2, i think battery was better. using trapster again i did not launch VZ nav, the icon in trapster was still like the ripple but this time it would intermittently change where i was but not really track "real time", unlike in the other version with VZ nav, where the icon was a dot with headlights it would track me real time. i have set it to 5 mins interval

I have yet to try 0.5. hopefully it solves the trapster problem.

NOTE: I have used Smartrunner with your second version and it worked well for me already. i have noticed that i get a lock faster in google maps too since the start. I also notices that my pictures when i upload to flickr has the GPS coordinated/location right and not wandering somewhere else. so i know this is working

i am not sure if this is a trapster problem too so that is another thing. but it is one of the most used gps programs i have. maybe this app helps locking in but not tracking? i am purely speculating

I will set now to 5 mins interval.

super thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    ok in the prev. ver, battery drain has been kinda bad. i have played with 20-30 mins interval, only to find out that there was a not in your app to at least 20 mins. using trapster, it cannot track me. i had to press the "dot" icon in trapster for the app to lock on me the icon was a dot with ripple animation. I launched VZ navigator and the icon looked like a dot with head lights.....
    I have yet to try 0.5. hopefully it solves the trapster problem.
    I am experiencing the same issue. I think Trapster, in "ripple animation" was tracking you to the nearest cell tower. Do you have Google Services turned on? When Trapster is doing the headlights, it is tracking via GPS.

My specifics: ver 0.5.0, VZW Palm Pre Plus.

1. GPS-fix **can** wake my GPS radio from a dead sleep (e.g. >2 hrs indoors without GPS signal). It takes a long time, upwards of 5 minutes. Sometimes it requires manually pressing "GPS fix" button a second time b/f getting good accuracy. Both iterations, GPS-fix had to go into second mode. In contrast, when I first activate VZW-Navigator, I get accurate fix within 30 seconds. Conclusion: there is something else that NZW-nav doing that is still elusive.

2. Once awaken, and as long as there is GPS signal, GPS-fix does a commendable job keeping the radio awake. (I had it set at 20 minute pinging intervals). Each pinging seem to take relatively short time, a matter of seconds. I don't think there is much hit on the battery there.

3. When I take the unit inside without GPS reception, each GPS ping is agonizing. Sometimes the unit will hunt, using the first option and then the second option for minutes on end, finally culminating in accuracy=poor but successful ping. Battery takes a huge beating in the process.

4. Although I set up outside, once I taken the unit inside without GPS signal for more than a few hours, GPS-fix was unable to give me full functionality when I re-emerge into the sunshine. To re-enable GPS, I had to either 1) use the manual "fix" button a couple of times on GPS-fix, or 2) start up VZW-nav again. With the former requiring a 4-5 minutes, and the latter requiring about 30 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    1. GPS-fix **can** wake my GPS radio from a dead sleep (e.g. >2 hrs indoors without GPS signal). It takes a long time, upwards of 5 minutes. Sometimes it requires manually pressing "GPS fix" button a second time b/f getting good accuracy. Both iterations, GPS-fix had to go into second mode. In contrast, when I first activate VZW-Navigator, I get accurate fix within 30 seconds. Conclusion: there is something else that NZW-nav doing that is still elusive.
    I agree. It is also what Ebag33 suggested to me. Tonight, I am going to curl up with the VZ Navigator code and literally go through it step by step in the launch process. See every little thing it is doing. They do have their own custom services, so I think that may be it as well. If so, then I cannot fix that. Maybe sub-launch VZ Nav and close it.

However...

v0.5.5 has been submitted. Wait for Beta Feed to update, or use the Shopping Bag in the App Catalog to update.

1.) This has a new method to attempt that VZ connection for people like you luau joe. Not sure if this will work or not, but we are going to try it.

2.) I reduced some of the time periods to stop the battery drain with the app open. If you are indoors, not much I can do there, so I stop trying.

3.) New debugging info, with 1 tap emailing. Hit I or D on the keyboard after/during/before the "GPS fix" button to see some data regarding the fix. Just error points and success points along with timestamps, nothing personal.

IMPORTANT
    luau joe, I need your help! Can you run through your steps outlined in your first point. Then show the debugging info and send that to me? I want to find out what happens when the elusive VZ connection attempt fails. This will tell me where to look. It has no personal data of any kind, so no worries about me having your GPS data.

If anyone else using the "GPS Fix" button in app has a problem, email me the data. You can post the details here, but I need that data.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Good news, I found the "missing piece" in the VZ GPS Saga.

The bad news is two fold.

1.) The idea I implemented in 0.5.5 will not work...
    2.) I am unsure I can duplicate this aspect.

Even if I could duplicate it, A.) It would probably be an intellectual rights/trade secret violation and B.) Definitely would not get into the app catalog.

So, that leaves me with my initial idea for getting around this for those that still have to launch VZ Navigator.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Even if I could duplicate it, A.) It would probably be an intellectual rights/trade secret violation and B.) Definitely would not get into the app catalog.
    Well, there's always Preware.

A full solution might have the effect of pointing out to Palm that one of their carriers is being perhaps a little bit "naughty?"

btw, 0.5.5 isn't showing up in the shopping bag feed at the moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Well, there's always Preware.
    Yeah, execept the intellectual rights part

A full solution might have the effect of pointing out to Palm that one of their carriers is being perhaps a little bit "naughty?"
    I think Jonathans legal stuff is more likely to net results. It's a complicated situation.

btw, 0.5.5 isn't showing up in the shopping bag feed at the moment...
    If I hit submit, it would... Done. Opps.
    - James Harris

Author of:

I think Jonathans legal stuff is more likely to net results. It's a complicated situation.

If I hit submit, it would... Done. Opps.
    Yeah I can imagine that "complicated" probably only begins to describe the situation whenever the carrier (and a third-party sw mfr contracted by the carrier) and the hardware mfr get in a room together...
    just to follow up in my report. I am using 0.5.0 ver.

Today i have used the fix with mixed results probably because the gps signal ranged from good to extremely low...

before i launched the fix i had this icon with trapster

this is the dot with the ripple effect i was talking about

after a few minutes it was tracking me but it was like not continuous like a a picture movie with slow frames. I even pressed the gps fix button but it was taking so long so...

i launched VZ nav and it looked like this
    this is the dot with headlights icon i am talking about

if according to @luau joe the ripple icon is based on cell tower and the headlights is indeed GPS, i shouldn't have launched the vz nav because the fix should have "awaken" the gps to get a good fix.

going home, passing the same route, i never got the "headlights" icon. even with vz nav on and gps fix button. i launched google maps just to see if everything was ok. I got this

It was tracking me but there was a delay in the "map update" like 1-2 mins delay.

GPS strength was possibly the culprit because it was playing around extremely low and medium. The funny thing is, GPS was "working" on the way to destination but not on the way back.

I used smartrunner too and it was going crazy, on and off locking, i ended up not being able to track my run. I had to restart the phone and upon restarting, no GPS lock and when i pressed GPS fix i got this error

it was probably because the pre just booted tho, but i just want to share the error. I eventually got a lock and was able to track my run with smartruner.

will try 0.5.5 when i can.

hope that helps you.

thanks for the app! (cant thank you enough)
    Okay,
    Did a test with 0.5.5.

Shut the pre+ down, restarted. Started Govnah and GPS Fix (with enable & alert off). I hit the GPS Fix button. (while outside). Got a couple timeouts. Hit the Navigator button & let VZNav start up. Then hit GPS Fix again.

I saw the last ran numbers incrementing after a bit but the accuracy never changed beyond "extremely low". I started SimpleGPS and saw that my accuracy was 9.8' h/25' vertical. So it looks like the accuracy numbers aren't perhaps getting read in correctly?

I have the debug trace on my pre ready to email to you, but the "one click email" button doesn't seem to fill in an address. Where should I send the trace? (if you need it.)

thanks!
    Send it to erupnu@gmail.com

Thought that was working as expected, hmm.

johnj2803, added some stuff to better give this error. I'll post it soon, hopefully with a new method of ensuring VZ Nav is loaded.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Send it to erupnu@gmail.com

Thought that was working as expected, hmm.

johnj2803, added some stuff to better give this error. I'll post it soon, hopefully with a new method of ensuring VZ Nav is loaded.
    Hmm... okay I just noticed that the "to:" area in email shows a (small) blank box on it than when clicked expands to your email address. I didn't notice that the first time around.

emailing log now...
    IMPORTANT
    luau joe, I need your help! Can you run through your steps outlined in your first point. Then show the debugging info and send that to me? I want to find out what happens when the elusive VZ connection attempt fails. This will tell me where to look. It has no personal data of any kind, so no worries about me having your GPS data.
    Do you still want the data, after you have found the missing VZW piece? As for my debug log, I certainly will, but you will need to tell me how. I am no programmer.
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast