Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I do not think any app will be able to 100% fix all issues. It's just not going to work. We need Palm intervention in many regards here.
    Actually I this is the first time that the GPS is not responding.

I think the GPS chip is dead...

pulled te battery and ran a ##477# and it can't even get anything... of course it just became extremely cloudy out..
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I would not leave GPS Fix open for too long. Make sure you get a good accuracy, and then close the app. The background processes + the card processes will kill your battery. Background operation of 15 min interval works well. Try stepping it down a but if issues arise.

People wish I would give them the "best" setting to use. Unfortunately, I cannot. It has so many variables (and how each of you have different variables to consider) that it ends up being what works best for you.
    Just went out and grabbed lunch. While I was sitting in the Subway parking lot, I checked my location. Within seconds of Google Maps finally finishing its loading process my GPS located me and displayed my location correctly ... down to the exact parking space! I've gotten that kind of accuracy before, but had to jump through hoops (VZ Nav, reboot, wait, on and off GPS, etc.) and then wait for it to acquire. This was nearly instantaneous.

This app will improve my experience with Google Maps, Foursquare, golf GPS apps, and a lot more. Thank you so much!!!
    1.) Launch this app
    2.) Open VZ Navigator. Then close it.
    3.) Enable this app. Then close it

Now, go on your merry way. Think of it as siphoning. You start the process (with VZ Navigator), then the app acts like gravity/momentum and keeps it going. If you use mode switcher, then you have to start VZ Nav each time this mode is activated. The two apps are entirely seperate and distinct, there is actually no communication between them of any kind (although that will change).

The app will show as com.jamesharris.gpsfix.

If you shut off GPS, then getting a fix is impossible. That defeats the whole purpose of this app. You will have to restart the process each time you re-activate it. If I can sub-launch VZ Nav, then I can bypass this step for you. Would also allow me to "reactivate" VZ Nav on a regular basis as well. Still looking into it.
    Thanks for your response. I'm now on the 0.5 update.

What I notice is even when GPS is off, GPS fix still tries to get a fix (right now I'm displaying the messages when an update occurs), and in JStop, I now see a "GPS fix" process running.

For me (again, using in mode switcher), I'd like to kill the process when I turn off the GPS--don't know how easy that is to do. (another more minor matter is how to close the GPS fix card as you recommend, automatically. Maybe another setting or timer?)

Also, to what other participants have said, I myself am not using google services, only GPS, which when woken up properly (ie VZ Navigator) gives an accurate fix. So yes if the GPS signal is lost, all location info is not accessible, but I'd rather have that than an inaccurate fix.

Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Thanks for your response. I'm now on the 0.5 update.
    Try the v0.2.0 update, it should work with Mode Switcher. It accomplishes this since I use the same method VZ Navigator uses. However, this seems to be hit-or-miss with some people, to launching VZ Nav when coming back into GPS being enabled with Mode Switcher may still be necessary.

It sucks that you may not be able to have it your way right now (Burger King style), but that is just the nature of the beast for the time being...
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Try the v0.2.0 update, it should work with Mode Switcher. It accomplishes this since I use the same method VZ Navigator uses. However, this seems to be hit-or-miss with some people, to launching VZ Nav when coming back into GPS being enabled with Mode Switcher may still be necessary.
    Did that, still runs when GPS is off. FYI: in my "car" mode, I turn on GPS, launch VZ Nav, google maps, and GPS FIX (then sometimes remember to manually close the VZ Nav and GPS FIX cards). When I close that mode, mode switcher closes all of them and turns off GPS.

It sucks that you may not be able to have it your way right now (Burger King style), but that is just the nature of the beast for the time being...
    Oh I certainly know not to expect (my version of) perfection...and am most grateful to you for working on this.
    But it doesn't hurt to ask...
    Sorry to ask a dumb question, how does one download this?

I don't see "gps fix" listed in preware (yes I have palmbeta as a feed), and I have tried the developer page "send to my phone feature" and received no message.

Thanks.
    As outline here:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2565431

Email this link to your phone and tap on it:

Code:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.jamesharris.gpsfix

Almost there guys. I have some stuff that should really, really work very well. 10x more efficient as well!
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Is there anyone here that has been having issues with this app not resolving properly (Verizon) AND knows how to use webOS Quick install? If so, email me at erupnu@gmail.com .

Doing some Quality Assurance and want to test this out on you guys. I feel like a mad scientist!
    - James Harris

Author of:

I sure appreciate all your work on this. I now have what I would call a more or less properly functioning GPS unit in my Pre +. When I first got the phone VW suggested I try a 30 day free trial of their VZ Nav. I was so disappointed I canceled the service and deleted the program from the phone - or at least the icon. I don't know if that was a good idea or not but I had no plans to use their Nav program again.

I'm just a typical Pre + user, not a programer or developer and I don't understand a lot of the terms being used. But this morning I successfully downloaded your GPS Fix and have it set to 5 minute intervals. Google Maps now pegs me at my exact location (+or- 20ft rather than several miles away) and Minimap also pegs my location correctly. For whatever reason, I have not needed to open VZ Nav (again, I deleted it a couple months ago) to obtain a very quick fix on my location.

Thanks again. Rich
    Simply amazing!

I finally got around to installing this (0.2) because I have been desperate to find a way to get Smartrunner to work on my verizon phone. I had never got any type of recognition that the app was able to get a gps fix. Today after installing GPSFix, it got a lock within 10 seconds and seemed to track my speed and distance accurately. So far I have only tested it walking around the block, but hopefully I can get a run in tomorrow morning and post the results.

So far, very positive.

Also, loading google maps, the gps found me before the map was even loaded. thanks again for the great work.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Working awsome for me! Very big THANKS!

Okay, suggestion time: I use the patch Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps. Anyway a combo of that patch and this app could be done?
    Ok... v0.5.0 has been submitted. Wait for Beta Feed to update, or use the Shopping Bag in the App Catalog to update.

How is this different? Well, it's almost an entire re-write. Here is what is pertinent:

1.) Load the app, "Get Fix" (wait for it), Enable Background, then close.

2.) The app still uses the VZW method that is working for most people on the getCurrentLocation. If your location accuracy is too low or fails with this method, it goes into a SECOND method designed to wake it and get not only a signal, but better accuracy.

It's dynamic, so only happens IF IT NEEDS TO. It has auto shut off commands to kill itself after a set time or accuracy levels get to acceptable levels. Thus, only runs when absolutely needed depending on your situation. Saves battery for you know, other GPS things.

3.) If You are in airplane mode, have the GPS turned off, or some error (related to getting a fix) occurs, it will go into power saving mode. I cannot stop the 'still running' aspect. The app must keep loading itself up to test the GPS.

Power saving mode is a delayed restart attempt based on your current frequency (5, 10, & 15 min = 30 min delay, 15 & 20 = 45 min delay, on up to a 2 hour delay). This enables those using mode switcher to keep it active, and it will dynamically adjust to your "off" periods. There is no way to keep it out of process entirely as I do not know your off schedules.

Power Saving Mode also applies to those who deny location services permissions to the app :P (seriously, why use this if you deny permissions?)

4.) There is now more data related to accuracy. If you do a GPS Fix, it will attempt the second method to get a high accuracy level. If after a certain time it cannot, it kills itself and throws up your option. As user friendly as can be.

5.) A million under the hood changes. So much changed today, I cannot document it all.

6.) Donate button works, new help stuff, and a lil bit of personality. I hesitate to give it as much personality as FlashCards, but if you want it, I will add it.

If this version fails for you, I need the following information:

A.) Carrier + your Frequency + All GPS details in the Last Ran info
    B.) General Location where you are
    C.) Signal strength
    D.) When did you last load VZ Nav or Google Maps?
    E.) How has it behaved before?
    F.) Describe the situation in detail.

This SHOULD resolve the issues for 90%+ of you with it. If some still need to load VZ Nav, I have another idea. GPS is such a tricky situation, but I will strive for a 95%+ success rate.

Time to finally eat something
    - James Harris

Author of:

I love this app so much. I finally was able to se SmartRunner while at the skatepark today with great accuracy and no lost signal ever.

It was great to compete with friends to see who could get the top speed annd trac how man calories I burnt by the end of the day. (1200 BTW :P)
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Loving the app (on a Sprint Pre) for getting rid of cold starts. I have one question though. Since the efemeris is supposed to be good for about 4 hrs, does it make sense to have the polling frequency extended beyond the 1-hr mark? Maybe a 2-hr cycle can still maintain the efemeris still fresh. I dunno I'm just shootin' from the hip here of what makes sense in *my* head (don't try to venture there alone it is a SCARY! place) :-)
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Hi James. I'm looking forward to trying the latest version when I'm out tomorrow. I had trouble today getting an accurate fix with 0.2.0 - but when I finally did it stayed accurate until being home/inside for an hour. I look forward to seeing if I can get a fix before I make it to work tomorrow (15 min drive). Thanks! Clarice
    I'm loving V.0.5.0! 99% of the time my Verizon Pre+ has to use the second option but I don't mind because it's even more accurate than before.

Time to gie the 'Wheres my Car' app another go now that it won't lead me to the other side of the parking lot.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Hey James. Thank you so much for coninuing to develop this app. I think this is finally the GPS savior for Verizon customers. I posted earlier how it didn't work for me overnight. Well here's the next night's story -- I rebooted yesterday when my GPS insisted I was 1/2 mile away with 8 ft accuracy and noticed when GPS Fix loaded courtesy of mode switcher, the first attempt came up as failed. However, shortly thereafter, it came up as success without me doing a thing and I've not had any issues since. Haven't run VZNavaigator at all, yet Google maps finds me within 15 seconds or so. I've turned off Google Services for location since my GPS enabled Verizon phone seems to finally have GPS. For some of those Verizon users that 0.2 didn't work on, maybe a reboot was a missing piece. I've brought down the latest version and increased the time to 30 mins to see how it does. Thanks again!
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Thanks for the 0.5.0, James. I just grabbed and installed it. Currently in my office with no GPS reception. Will do a full battery-pull reset of my VZW Pre Plus, turn on 0.5.0 while indoors. Around lunch time (in about 4 hrs), will go outside with clear sky to see how it works. Will report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Well here's the next night's story -- I rebooted yesterday when my GPS insisted I was 1/2 mile away with 8 ft accuracy
    There's actually a few reasons why that can happen. GPS signals can be reflected, especially if you're in an area with high rise buildings. Basically the signal bounces off one building, and you received that bounced signal. Since the signal is bounced--but neither the GPS sat nor device realizes it--your position will be significantly off but with a high level of accuracy.

In theory, the device will see other GPS signals and hopefully realize that the bounced signal is bogus. But that conflicts with it's design that the strongest signal is generally the most accurate, so if the bounced signal is strong enough, the device thinks it's good.

GPS is incredibly complex once you start digging into it. Bounced signals, modified signals (IE: passing through something), interference, limited visibility....all that and more affects how well GPS works. Now add in the different methods of GPS (you did enable all the different methods, right?), and then thing get really complex.
  20. CT
    James,

If I start your program and then open Google Maps, my location is off by a mile or better. If I next hit VZ Navigator, allow Location Services and Decline Purchase, go back to Maps and hit the Locater it takes me to the correct location.

If I allow the Palm Pre to shut itself off, I have to go through that whole process again. I'm running webOS 1.4.1.1, Verizon config 1.3, and GPS Fix 0.5.0

Any thoughts on why it's not working? Thanks!
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast