Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Sorry for the noob question, but does this have anything to do with my Location Services settings? Do I have to enable 'Auto Locate' in order for this app to work, or would the prompt at the start of the app (allow auto-locate) be enough?

Also, if the app continues pinging the gps even after swiping the card away, I assume I should open the app again and disable it in order to save battery when I have no need for GPS services, right?

Thanks for the info, and many, many thanks for creating this app! I'm going on a road trip later this month and this will definitely come in handy!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I have ver 0.1.0 and I can lock my GPS in a position, but it can't seem to track me tho. I am using trapster and It doesn't seem to track me, NOT until i launch VZ navigator, then it tracks me.

I am not sure if this has something to do with your app, but when i use trapster before, it was a hit and miss with launching vz navigator sometimes it tracks, sometimes it doesnt. but now it locks and tracks when vz and your app is used (not open) and vz navigator is open.
    Try v0.2.0. It has some 'alternate' tricks to wake the GPS when you load the app.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGozniak View Post
    Sorry for the noob question, but does this have anything to do with my Location Services settings? Do I have to enable 'Auto Locate' in order for this app to work, or would the prompt at the start of the app (allow auto-locate) be enough?

Also, if the app continues pinging the gps even after swiping the card away, I assume I should open the app again and disable it in order to save battery when I have no need for GPS services, right?
    1.) Yes, you need to enable location services. It will ask for permission if this is off, and in order to work, you must enable it for this app.

2.) Yes, to shut it off, load the app and change the "enable" property to No. It will no longer run in the background.

In all honesty, the battery drain is not bad. By keeping a lock on a regular basis, it does not have to work so hard each time. I spent a full 8 hours of very heavy phone usage with 5 min GPS interval. Lasted me just fine yesterday. Today was the same, but a bit less phone usage and 12 hours lasting.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    My experience:

In and around my building, GPS Fix keeps saying [Success] and showing notifications that it's updating (5 minute increment), but even if I launch it directly after a fix, Google Maps is still showing a rather large (miles) bubble that couldn't possibly be coming from GPS, it's just cell tower triangulation, same as before.

So, is something going wrong for me? Or is my GPS that imprecise, and it's been "working" all along?

I'll report back when I go out farther than the parking lot.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Thanks tons for the app, I think this may finally do the trick, but I'm not sure it's there yet. Here's my experience. GPS was working fine last night judging by Google Maps and MyGPS. I tried it again this morning after ~8 hrs of sitting idle on the touchstone and Google maps had me ~1/2 mile away and MyGPS's last fix was at 9:00 PM the previous night. I brought down GPS Fix and configured it and enabled it. It indicated success, but neither Google Maps nor MyGPS changed. I tried a few different settings in GPS Fix with no luck. I then hit the Navigator button and within about 30 seconds Google maps started flicking between my actual location and 1/2 mile away eventually settling on my location and MyGPS starting getting fixes.

I don't subscribe to VZNavigator and I do have the latest version of GPS Fix. Perhaps now that the GPS is awake, GPS Fix will keep it that way? I'll figure that out tonight.

Verizon Palm Pre Plus with 1.4.1.1 and GPS Fix 0.2.0
    Rgds/Mark M.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmeltser View Post
    Thanks tons for the app, I think this may finally do the trick, but I'm not sure it's there yet. Here's my experience. GPS was working fine last night judging by Google Maps and MyGPS. I tried it again this morning after ~8 hrs of sitting idle on the touchstone and Google maps had me ~1/2 mile away and MyGPS's last fix was at 9:00 PM the previous night. I brought down GPS Fix and configured it and enabled it. It indicated success, but neither Google Maps nor MyGPS changed. I tried a few different settings in GPS Fix with no luck. I then hit the Navigator button and within about 30 seconds Google maps started flicking between my actual location and 1/2 mile away eventually settling on my location and MyGPS starting getting fixes.

I don't subscribe to VZNavigator and I do have the latest version of GPS Fix. Perhaps now that the GPS is awake, GPS Fix will keep it that way? I'll figure that out tonight.

Verizon Palm Pre Plus with 1.4.1.1 and GPS Fix 0.2.0
    +1

My experience and same equipment, almost exactly. I don't get GPS signal inside my home. I left GPS Fix 0.2.0 enabled evening before. In the morning commute, I cannot get a fix. I finally enable GPS by my old way: turn off GPS radio, turn on GPS radio, wait 10 seconds, turn on VZnav, wait another 15 seconds.

Overall, my personal experience is that GPS Fix will keep GPS active for as long as there is GPS signal. Once inside with no signal for a prolonged period, I have to do the whole VZnav dance all over again. Which basically means it is not useful because neither my home nor my workplace has GPS reception. Any insight into this? Am I overlooking something? Thanks!
    Just an update to my testing.

Last night I brought my phone in the basement and lost GPS. Updated reported as failed. Today went outside and ran GPS Fix and within a minute got a new GPS fix, and it worked in Google maps. I don't know if it makes a difference but under Location Services I have unchecked "Use Google Services" under preferences.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    First of all, thank you James for tackling this issue. This has been my biggest complaint of my Pre. I hope everyone who is using this takes the time to send you a few bucks for your efforts.

Anyway, my question is what is the deal with Wi-Fi. I see this mentioned in several posts. I have Wi-Fi at home and at the office, so I leave it on all the time.

Does this affect the function of the GPS?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    James,

I tried to send you a donation and when I clicked on the "Donate" tab, it took me to the default PayPal login screen. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I thought it would take me directly to a page that would allow me to send you a payment.
    Thank you! I have had a Verizon Pre Plus for about four or five months and the GPS issue has been one of two major gripes. VZ Nav has only helped on the margins for me and GPS Wrestler not at all, but in my test this morning for an hour this worked like a charm - tracking me in my car as well as any GPS I have used. I used it once with VZ Nav opened and once without - worked both times. It is funny to watch google maps first "find" my location the usual 1/4 mile off, then suddenly seconds later find my true location.

It seem to drain my battery fairly quickly although (1) I am not sure it was more than using google maps without this app, which has always drained my battery quickly, and (2) I was passing through some low signal areas which I am guessing might drain it more quickly?
    Anyone else notice is polling every second when the app is open? I thought it was just because I had google maps open the first time, but when I opened it a 2nd time with no GM open, "Last Ran:" updates every second. Just pointing that out.... On a good note, All the updates are successes
    First off, thank you SOOOOOO much for creating this app. This is what makes the Palm User Community so incredible.

I did have one question. When I turn on GPS Fix and then try to get my location using Google Maps or one of the two golf GPS apps I purchased, it *always* (inside or outside) is plus or minus 26 yards. It's like there's some limitation keeping it from being more accurate than that. Using the old method (turn on GPS, open VZ Nav, open the actual app I want to use) it would take a lot longer to get a lock, but once I left it open for a while it would usually get down to plus or minus five yards or less.

I know you said you can't do much about GPS accuracy, and I understand that, but I'm wondering if this is related to the app somehow.

I'm using a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon ... with GPS Fix 0.2.0 installed.
    Last edited by smmullen; 07/21/2010 at 10:11 AM.
    Version 0.2.0 seems to be working much better for me. The fix coordinates follow me around, and the circle of confusion on the google maps app is a few yards at worst. I had to toggle the WIFI off and turn off my CDMA antenna (gMaps kept defaulting to the cell tower accuracy). With just the GPS antenna on I got a fix with the app, then turned on wifi and fired up gMaps. Google followed me walking around my building. I turned off the GPS antenna and gMaps picked up my fix on the WIFI router. I walked around the building and the little blue dot stayed fixed. I took a few pictures with geotagging enabled, so I'll have to see how well that worked when I get home.

I'm really pleased to have GPS accuracy in gMaps now! A few extra notes. Keep your hands away from the bottom of the Pre. This increased accuracy by quite a bit. It's also the part of the phone that got really hot while using the gMaps app, so I'm guessing the antennas are at the base? I'll post with more testing and see if there's a way to make gMaps use the GPS without having to turn off the CDMA antenna.

~Happy Mapper
    As I promised I would get back to you when i made my trip to North Phoenix (i'm as far south as you can get in Phoenix) So I left work and hoped on the I-10 heading west about 5-10 mins of driving i launched Trapster. Within 15 sec Trapster had my location and heading. which it has never been that fast. On top of it I always had to Launch VZ Navigator to wake up the GPS. Did the Same thing on the way home except using BFGMaps it found me again within a sec (5-10) sec.

On the Way to work this morning (i live 4 miles away) I launched Trapster. Now normally even with the VZ navigator it would take about 30 secs to fully launch. This worked in less then 15 sec. I would have to says that if you have a strong 3G signal(4-5 bars) it works like a charm.. Anything less and I'm not sure because I'm in an area with great coverage

Edit: BTW after my initial launch for the GPS fix Program I hadn't opened in until 3 mins ago to get interval

Edit 2: just realized i never opened Google maps to see how it runs... Still takes 30 Sec to load but finds me just fine
    Last edited by Major Payne; 07/21/2010 at 10:49 AM.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    As I promised I would get back to you when i made my trip to North Phoenix (i'm as far south as you can get in Phoenix) So I left work and hoped on the I-10 heading west about 5-10 mins of driving i launched Trapster. Within 15 sec Trapster had my location and heading. which it has never been that fast. On top of it I always had to Launch VZ Navigator to wake up the GPS. Did the Same thing on the way home except using BFGMaps it found me again within a sec (5-10) sec.

On the Way to work this morning (i live 4 miles away) I launched Trapster. Now normally even with the VZ navigator it would take about 30 secs to fully launch. This worked in less then 15 sec. I would have to says that if you have a strong 3G signal(4-5 bars) it works like a charm.. Anything less and I'm not sure because I'm in an area with great coverage
    how often is your pinging interval?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Thank you everyone for your reports.

I talked with Ebag333 a lil bit, and he had the same insights you guys are teaching me. The NV Nav method must have a second component. For some of you it works great, for others, not so great. For the time being, if you have problems, load VZ Navigator. I will work on figuring out the second component.

Accuracy issues are really not something I can work on. It's the laws of physics at play here in regards to the methods used. The reports of accuracy getting better after VZ Nav/Google Maps is interesting. Again, will explore further.

RadRacer513, yes, that is by design. I am using a second method (startTracking) when the app loads now to wake up the GPS.

tallarob, I keep hearing this about the donate button. Will get it fixed. It all just goes to jharris@zip-codes.com

Richard M, battery drain varies. But a low signal area will cause the chips to work harder. It's not just GPS in these cases, but the radios for voice and data working hard too.

smmullen, try leaving GPS Fix open for a few minutes (keep the screen active though). See if it get's a lock much more accurate. I am using a second method when the app is actually open. Trying to narrow this down and I think the method I apply there will do the same. You can also try opening the app, loading VZ Nav, and letting it run. Please let me know.

tallarob, Wifi affects GPS because in the lack of all other possibilities, it looks to Google. They (from their maps project) have catalog the ID's of Wifi spots to their location. Given what Wifi your device can see, it can get an approximation of where you are. This is why some will get low accuracy with Wifi on as the matches are not to-the-foot like other methods can provide.

back to work...
    Last edited by spdsktr; 07/21/2010 at 10:51 AM.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    how often is your pinging interval?
    I set Mine to the Default setting of 5 mins. I have a Touchstone at home and Work So it doesn't bother me that I lose battery fast. I also have a car charger in my other car that I take on the weekends.

Not sure if i ever mentioned this I'm on Verizon Pre Plus
    Last edited by Major Payne; 07/21/2010 at 10:54 AM.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I set Mine to the Default setting of 5 mins. I have a Touchstone at home and Work So it doesn't bother me that I lose battery fast. I also have a car charger in my other car that I take on the weekends.

Not sure if i ever mentioned this I'm on Verizon Pre Plus
    thanks we have the same phone. I had problem,s with trapster yesterday but it was with an old one. have not tried it with the 0.2.0 ver. you had this right?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    I am currently running version 0.0.5 of GPS Fix

Ok wierd Now nothing i have can access my GPS Restarting my phone

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    smmullen, try leaving GPS Fix open for a few minutes (keep the screen active though). See if it get's a lock much more accurate. I am using a second method when the app is actually open. Trying to narrow this down and I think the method I apply there will do the same. You can also try opening the app, loading VZ Nav, and letting it run. Please let me know.
    Thanks for addressing my question. I had actually been loading GPS Fix, turning it on, and then trying to get a fix. When done, I would turn it off and close the app. A few minutes ago I realized that I had left it turned on, so I checked the accuracy. It was much better ... down to plus or minus 10 yards. Given that I was sitting inside (next to a window) that's pretty good. I suspect if I stepped outside it would improve even more.

I'll try just leaving it turned on. What frequency do you recommend to get a mix of GPS success and battery preservation? Has anyone tested it at 15 minute intervals or more?
    Ok wierd Now nothing i have can access my GPS Restarting my phone
    I do not think any app will be able to 100% fix all issues. It's just not going to work. We need Palm intervention in many regards here.

Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Thanks for addressing my question. I had actually been loading GPS Fix, turning it on, and then trying to get a fix. When done, I would turn it off and close the app. A few minutes ago I realized that I had left it turned on, so I checked the accuracy. It was much better ... down to plus or minus 10 yards. Given that I was sitting inside (next to a window) that's pretty good. I suspect if I stepped outside it would improve even more.

I'll try just leaving it turned on. What frequency do you recommend to get a mix of GPS success and battery preservation? Has anyone tested it at 15 minute intervals or more?
    I would not leave GPS Fix open for too long. Make sure you get a good accuracy, and then close the app. The background processes + the card processes will kill your battery. Background operation of 15 min interval works well. Try stepping it down a but if issues arise.

People wish I would give them the "best" setting to use. Unfortunately, I cannot. It has so many variables (and how each of you have different variables to consider) that it ends up being what works best for you.
    - James Harris

Author of: