Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by akienmaciain View Post
    I love it. Thank you so much. Any plans to make it run in the background?
    Already does. Toss the card away with it being enabled and it will continue on it's merry way waking the GPS at the interval you set.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I do not know that app, so I cannot comment on it I'm afraid. As suggested, try with Wifi off.
    Pop up the phone card, dial ##477#

I'll try it on my way to the car with wifi off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suava View Post

That fails for me as well. Immediate fail with "position not available". Sprint Pre with Wifi on or off. I site 200 yards from a cell tower as well, so signal is not an issue. Will dig into the phone app later to see if I can find what it is doing.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

It works flawlessly after several failed attempts. VZW Pre Plus, with no VZ Nav subscription. I changed several phone settings retrying between each change. After 4 or 5 tries I still wasn't having any luck getting an accurate read from the "gps fix" button or google maps. I assume each of the previous changes were irrelevant so I wont detail them.
    During each previous attempt I clicked the "decline" box when VZ Nav asked me to buy or decline the subscription. By simply closing VZ Nav without make a selection I got an accurate read from both the "gps fix" button and google maps. Maybe others experiencing slight location errors are declining rather than closing VZ Nav.

Thanks again for the great app.
    TJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Suava View Post

Ok, so it actually IS working! However, we are running into a cache issue. Palm has this in their code for this feature:

Code:
    if (response.horizAccuracy < 100 && reqTime < response.timestamp) {
    }
    Since there is a recent fix, the ##477## app (aka DialAction.GPS) sees the date, see's it is 'before' their required time frame, and thus throws the error. It's not actually an error by any means, simply not matching their parameters. This is caused by the GPS Fix app actually, but only because it ensures a 'recent' (but not recent enough) fix is available..

The GPS Fix app was designed to essentially keep running. This has the effect of waking the connection needed for Verizon customers. It then doubles as a means to keep a cache of data that other apps can use.

I hope that explains it. But the GPS in this method is actually NOT malfunctioning. I could make a patch for this to remove the time requirement (and even show the timestamp).
    - James Harris

Author of:

Quote Originally Posted by tejota03 View Post
    It works flawlessly after several failed attempts. VZW Pre Plus, with no VZ Nav subscription. I changed several phone settings retrying between each change. After 4 or 5 tries I still wasn't having any luck getting an accurate read from the "gps fix" button or google maps. I assume each of the previous changes were irrelevant so I wont detail them.
    During each previous attempt I clicked the "decline" box when VZ Nav asked me to buy or decline the subscription. By simply closing VZ Nav without make a selection I got an accurate read from both the "gps fix" button and google maps. Maybe others experiencing slight location errors are declining rather than closing VZ Nav.

Thanks again for the great app.
    TJ
    Accepting or declining VZ Nav was never a determining factor. Simply launching it was the factor.

Which version of the app were you running? I want to make sure that with v0.1.0 you do not launch the VZ Navigator app at all. It duplicates the method used by VZ Navigator so this step should be irrelevant.
    - James Harris

Author of:

got it working! Works great! Turned it on in the car and it tracked me to within 20 ft! Great job James!
    Thought it was version v0.1.0, but it was 0.6. Following the 0.6 instructions I needed to open VZ Nav. I've updated to 1.0 and I got it to work without ever opening VZ Nav (why is the button still there? just curious, makes me want to push it). Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by lucallmon View Post
    got it working! Works great! Turned it on in the car and it tracked me to within 20 ft! Great job James!

Awesome! BTW, I am adding your experience into the FAQ part of the app.

Quote Originally Posted by tejota03 View Post
    Thought it was version v0.1.0, but it was 0.6. Following the 0.6 instructions I needed to open VZ Nav. I've updated to 1.0 and I got it to work without ever opening VZ Nav (why is the button still there? just curious, makes me want to push it). Thanks again
    As expected then, awesome! The button is there for those with OCD that like to push buttons. Gives you a sense of control.

It swaps to Google Maps for those with non-Verzion phones. Besides, I already had it there... Nah, it's another method to attempt waking the GPS receiver, that's all.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Hey there,
    So my experience last night & today was: the gps appeared to be giving good results in the app, but it wasn't actually changing position.

(I was across the bay in Oakland last night, and went to use the GPS today - it still thought I was in Oakland, even though GPS Fix said that it was getting good positioning.)

I restarted the phone and only started GPS fix. GPS fix couldn't, well, get a fix.

I disabled GPS Fix, restarted the gps (I have the gps on/off patch in my device menu), started VZNav, started GPS Trip Panel and waited for the fix to come in.

I then started/enabled GPS fix.

Here's another odd bit: looking at the phone right now, the last fix was at 2:41 p.m. I've set the frequency to 20 minutes. It is 3:05 now - seems like another fix should have occurred?
    swinokur,

1.) What kind of signal do you have? How many Bars? Are you in 1x/Ev/etc mode?
    2.) Is Wifi on or off?
    3.) Do you always have GPS issues, even after launching VZ Navigator?
    4.) Have you tried the GPS Wrestler app?

From what you describe, your device simply has an issue with GPS in your area. That is why it failed repeatedly. When you went to Oakland, it got a fix, and your issues with GPS is why it pulled Oakland from the cache (the cache is a backup just to return something). Why your device has issues is a question I need to figure out before I can try a solution.

FYI To All -- Accuracy issues are not related to this app. I have no real control over the services used nor the physics involved with getting GPS. The app serves as a means to keep the "connection" alive required for Verizon users (and GOS in general for other users), but does not have any means to "fix" other GPS related problems. I will do my best in that regard tho, but many have attempted and failed already.
    - James Harris

Author of:

swinokur,

1.) What kind of signal do you have? How many Bars? Are you in 1x/Ev/etc mode?
    2.) Is Wifi on or off?
    3.) Do you always have GPS issues, even after launching VZ Navigator?
    4.) Have you tried the GPS Wrestler app?

From what you describe, your device simply has an issue with GPS in your area. That is why it failed repeatedly. When you went to Oakland, it got a fix, and your issues with GPS is why it pulled Oakland from the cache (the cache is a backup just to return something). Why your device has issues is a question I need to figure out before I can try a solution.

FYI To All -- Accuracy issues are not related to this app. I have no real control over the services used nor the physics involved with getting GPS. The app serves as a means to keep the "connection" alive required for Verizon users (and GOS in general for other users), but does not have any means to "fix" other GPS related problems. I will do my best in that regard tho, but many have attempted and failed already.
    Hey there,

In my neighborhood, I have pretty excellent vz coverage. Right now I see 5 bars and 3G. I have WiFi off.

WiFi goes on at night when I put the phone on the touchstone - I use mode switcher to toggle the WiFi on & off.

My GPS issues have generally been related to the GPS "going to sleep" and then needing a good prodding to wake back up again.

List of GPS stuff on my phone:
    - QPST patches as described in ebag333's thread
    - ebag's VZ patch to use the aGPS server

- simple gps
    - gps trip panel

Generally I've been lanuching VZNav, and then starting up simple GPS until it gets a good lock (and leaving it run for a bit until the accuracy gets fine). Lately I've been using GPS Trip Panel, since it shows me the strength of the GPS signal. (according to GPS Trip Panel, in my windowsill it says "signal strength good/high).

I've not tried the GPS Wrestler app.

Thanks!
    Ok, I believe I have some things figured out. It seems like different types of fixes work in different ways. I am going to implement some of this into the app and see how this works for you guys. Details later tonight (almost done).
    - James Harris

Author of:

Is the correct version 0.0.6 or 0.1.0, or are they the same. Preware indicated an update was available to 0.010but when it went to update version # (0.0.6) stayed the same. I even tried deleting and reinstalling.
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Is the correct version 0.0.6 or 0.1.0, or are they the same. Preware indicated an update was available to 0.010but when it went to update version # (0.0.6) stayed the same. I even tried deleting and reinstalling.
    Launch the app catalog. Tap on the shopping bag. Now look for the app and get the update. There is a time disconnect between the feeds. The shopping bag uses a real time check to see if an update is available, whereas the rest do not.

v0.2.0 is actually available now. It implements some other methods into the launching of the app.

swinokur, you should see a marked improvement with this version. Open the app, let it run, and see how accurate it gets.

This is getting very close to a version that can be released into the app catalog. Any graphics people wanna work up a really good icon for me?
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    here's my report:
    I was SO excited to find this early this morning! I installed 0.0.5 and on my way to dentist then to work tried and failed to get a correct location, including rebooting (WiFi always off).

took a walk later in the day and went through the VZ launch/close, reopened, and finally got a fix. and I've been accurate with all the GPS apps ever since! yippee!! even 3 hours after getting home. it's the first time in the two months since I got the phone that it knows I'm at home instead of on the other side of the river

caught up on this thread then went to my shopping bag and installed 0.2.0 and restarted the phone. launched Google Maps and I'm back on the other side of the river. closed it and opened GPS Fix. it took awhile for it to tell me it got a fix, tossed it off my screen and checked a couple of map apps. Since I'm inside I am not very confident on accuracy, sure enough, it has me at the cell tower over by my office a couple miles away. I'll report back later or tomorrow when I've had it outside for a bit.

thanks for all the hard work and quick turnaround - very impressive work! donation pending
    Last edited by shrxwin; 07/20/2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add: I'm on Verizon
    So far this has worked great for my Verizon Pre Plus. I can finally say I have no regret going with the Pre vs. a Droid now that GPS is finally working.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    i have set my interval to 1 hour and it seems to be doing well...

i also noticed some sort of battery drain when i am idle without running any apps. tried it last night and i think i drained 5%-10% in 4 hrs. will investigate further. Is this normal drain and not because of the app?

will continue to test, but this is really a great app! at least now i can use location based apps. better than nothing at all
    It will vary, but I believe that is normal. Seems normal for me.

1.) What is your typical hourly loss when not in use?
    2.) Are you overclocking?
    3.) Are you sure no apps are running in the background?
    4.) How was your reception?
    5.) Was wifi turned on? How about Bluetooth?
    for your questions:
    1. you are right probably the same. didnt really keep track of that.
    2. i am not overclocking
    3. no apps in background not even the gps fix app
    4. reception was 5 bars
    5. wifi was on BT off (i read the other posts here about turning off wifi off for accuracy)

anyway, i had this to report for my day with the patch.

I have ver 0.1.0 and I can lock my GPS in a position, but it can't seem to track me tho. I am using trapster and It doesn't seem to track me, NOT until i launch VZ navigator, then it tracks me.

I am not sure if this has something to do with your app, but when i use trapster before, it was a hit and miss with launching vz navigator sometimes it tracks, sometimes it doesnt. but now it locks and tracks when vz and your app is used (not open) and vz navigator is open.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    here's my report:
    <snip>

I'll report back later or tomorrow when I've had it outside for a bit.
    woo hoo! still sitting in the living room watching the last few Warehouse 13 eps and I checked back with a couple of the map apps and they now show me sitting at home. WiFi still off; VZ Nav never opened since restarting (after installing 0.2.0)

super happy thank you so much!

Cheers, Clarice
    v0.2.0 is actually available now. It implements some other methods into the launching of the app.

swinokur, you should see a marked improvement with this version. Open the app, let it run, and see how accurate it gets.
    Thanks very much, giving it a whirl now!
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast