Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    To the best of your knowledge, is there a similar app for non Verizon users?
    GPS Fix works for all carriers and models. Well, except for the Wifi only Touchpad since it does not have a GPS chip in it.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    First off, thank you James for all the hard work you have contributed to this cause. I am eternally grateful for what you have done!

I've noticed that even with GPS Fix enabled, that it fails to keep my gps alive. So, each time I launch a location based app I pretty much need to launch GPS fix. The issue is I'll often get a bunch of "GPS: failed" and "GPS: Permanent error" messages, but if I persist by pressing the GPS fix button (as well as "t,a,b,a,b...") over and over, it eventually gives me a good accuracy fix, even indoors.

Not sure if this information will help in diagnosing the problem, but I've been testing this method for the last couple days and its been working.

Just throwing an idea out there, but is there any way we could make this app do its thing every time an app requests location info?

I'll keep everyone posted to see if this method continues to work.
    cr_8_tiv,

1.4.5 or 2.1?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Pre2 running 2.1. Well, as of yesterday I decided to turn off Google Services and the gps seems to be working much more reliably. It's just that it takes much longer to get a high accuracy. It seems as if Google services isn't working period, and it definitely seems to be conflicting with the standalone GPS. I'll report back with more results after the weekend.

Thanks
    GPS Fix is designed to only use the TAB method on 2.x because that is all that is needed. Slower results without Google Location is to be expected.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Ok, so I've noticed that the "Attempt accuracy" menu option works almost immediately. Whereas, when I use the "GPS fix" button, it usually just spins for awhile and then can't even find a location. In fact, I just use "Attempt accuracy" every time now.

Pre 2 Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Ok, so I've noticed that the "Attempt accuracy" menu option works almost immediately. Whereas, when I use the "GPS fix" button, it usually just spins for awhile and then can't even find a location. In fact, I just use "Attempt accuracy" every time now.

Pre 2 Verizon
    This method seems to work very well. It would be nice if the 15 minute timer could automatically run Attempt Accuracy instead of what it does now which doesn't do anything for the Verizon Pre 2.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg123 View Post
    This method seems to work very well. It would be nice if the 15 minute timer could automatically run Attempt Accuracy instead of what it does now which doesn't do anything for the Verizon Pre 2.
    Great idea! I am hoping for an app update, as I mostly need GPS in rural areas, where data services are poor.
    The VZ Pre 2 that I had broke. Working on getting a new one so I can work on this app some more. #holdtight
    - James Harris

Author of:

cr_8_tiv likes this.
    James, you are friggin' awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    Pre2 running 2.1. Well, as of yesterday I decided to turn off Google Services and the gps seems to be working much more reliably. It's just that it takes much longer to get a high accuracy. It seems as if Google services isn't working period, and it definitely seems to be conflicting with the standalone GPS. I'll report back with more results after the weekend.

Thanks
    I'm confused. I went into preware and tried to download GPS Fix for VZNav and only found it in the unavailable folder and that it wasn't available for 2.1. Am I looking in the wrong place or am I missing somiething. I going on a golf trip this weekend and wanted to use one of the GPS golf app and was thinking that GPS Fix would help ensure that I could get a reasonably quick GPS location fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I'm confused. I went into preware and tried to download GPS Fix for VZNav and only found it in the unavailable folder and that it wasn't available for 2.1. Am I looking in the wrong place or am I missing somiething. I going on a golf trip this weekend and wanted to use one of the GPS golf app and was thinking that GPS Fix would help ensure that I could get a reasonably quick GPS location fix.
    The patch for VZ Navigator is ONLY for 1.x devices. It will not work and is not needed on 2.1 or the Pre 2. GPS Fix by itself will work wonders on 2.x and is all you need.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    The patch for VZ Navigator is ONLY for 1.x devices. It will not work and is not needed on 2.1 or the Pre 2. GPS Fix by itself will work wonders on 2.x and is all you need.
    Thanks for the quick reply but I can't seem to find the application just the patch. Where in Preware is it located?
    Never mind, I found it in the regular HP App store. I didn't realize it had been made official. I'll be trying this out this weekend on the courses. Thanks for all of your work on this project. In looking through this thread, it sounds like there were a lot of complications.
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930