Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I can tell the help on this app is going to need extensive work, even for the 24 Beta downloaders
    Don't let it overwhelm you like FMR.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    James will these help the Sprint Pre's at all?
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2563397

Yes. It started as a Verizon fix only, but I see how I can broaden the scope a bit to fix a lot of GPS related issues on all carriers. All credit goes to Jonathan though. This was his idea, I simply executed it.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    So would there need to be any changes? I see in one of the threads a user had problems because the app id was wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    So would there need to be any changes? I see in one of the threads a user had problems because the app id was wrong.
    No, it works well in it's current form for ALL carriers. The id issue was me needing the appid for VZ Navigator, that is all. Now I have it, including source. This is what will help me better integrate the tools needed for VZ users. They are the only ones who need this 'extra step'. I hope to make it seamless, this way I can alleviate all the questions and confusion.

If you are a verizon user, then you must launch VZ Navigator. Then the app will work.

For Sprint, AT&T, Bell, O2, etc, simply skip the VZ Navigator step. The rest works as expected. All it really does is performs a GPS getLocation at the interval you set. This effectively keeps the GPS active or 'unstuck'. By being active, it has a 'cache' it can pull from or use as a base for a new GPS coordinate. It's subtle, but it works. The rest is all fluff to add 'value' and information to you.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Would this be of help with the golf distance finder apps? Seems like there's always people complaining about them taking a long time to adjust correctly.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Would this be of help with the golf distance finder apps? Seems like there's always people complaining about them taking a long time to adjust correctly.
    It will help for getting a fix. Accuracy is another matter, one I cannot control nor guarantee. Those apps require high accuracy down to a foot or so in order to function properly.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Does the app stop looking for an updated coordinates if the phone is in airplane mode? I ask because I can't take my phone into work so I put it in airplane mode to preserve battery. I typicaly experience a 30% drain while at work, but sometimes I get a 100% drain. I often suspected a GPS app misbehaving.

So long story short, If in airplane mode, will the app sleep instead of wiping out the battery?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Does the app stop looking for an updated coordinates if the phone is in airplane mode? I ask because I can't take my phone into work so I put it in airplane mode to preserve battery. I typicaly experience a 30% drain while at work, but sometimes I get a 100% drain. I often suspected a GPS app misbehaving.

So long story short, If in airplane mode, will the app sleep instead of wiping out the battery?

Thanks
    Airplane mode would negate this app from actually getting GPS, yes. But, I have an idea for a work around. I will be checking for this and age the checks, once you come back out of airplane mode, it will establish a lock again. See below for why this is important.

------

IMPORTANT: I have identified what actually constitutes a VZW connection in the GPS code for VZ Navigator. The good news, I can duplicate this in my app.

I should be able to setup the app to do the VZ Navigator lock in app. This will negate the need to actually load VZ Navigator. Thus, the app should just work no matter what. No need to reboot, when you come out of a tunnel or airplane mode, it should pick it right back up.

I am going to nail this down in a bit. Look for version 0.1.0 in a bit, I will need help confirming this theory.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Just to clarify things. Once I open VZ Navigator, I can close it? I always thought that you needed to leave it open.
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    Just to clarify things. Once I open VZ Navigator, I can close it? I always thought that you needed to leave it open.
    For now, yes. Once 0.1.0 hits, you should never have to do this again.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Initial test for me...

Indoors location. VZW Pre Plus user. Did as the directions said, loaded GPS app, selected to load navigator to splash screen. Enabled GPS Fix, and closed navigator. Got a "fix" almost instantly on GPS Fix, but when launching google maps or mini maps, neither could find my location.

Will test again later when I am outside.
    Yes, once you run it, you can close it after you run the GPS Fix app.

Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    soo.. uhh how do I download this app?
    Quote Originally Posted by scarflash View Post
    soo.. uhh how do I download this app?
    Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Yep I tried that. Does it take a while to get the text?
    Ok, v0.1.0 submitted.

Verizon Users:

• Do not load VZ Navigator
    • Simply enable the app, and let it run

Seriously. I integrated the same VZ Navigator method directly into the app. It's only used for Verizon users. The option to load VZ Navigator is still there, BUT IS NOT REQUIRED>.

Other Users:

• Do not load Google Maps
    • Simply enable the app, and let it run

Google Maps is only there for convenience. I needed something to fill out the button that is used for VZ vusers

-------------------------

By removing the need to load VZ Navigator, this simplifies the app tremendously. Why make you do something when I can do it for you? Sorry, the questions related to the VZ Navigator part were just getting to much.

This also has an added benefit! If the connection timeouts for any reason (like going underground, or failing to lock), then the next time it runs, it should re-establish that elusive VZ Navigator connection automatically. That is why launching VZ Navigator is not required any more, ever.

I am on Sprint, so I need you guys to help me confirm this is working now. Anyone have a VZ Phone I can play with? I'm in Pensacola and can provide beer and food if you supply the phone
    - James Harris

Author of:

I started a new thread to thank you for initializing the GPS Fix application.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...26#post2565226

Solutions like this is why I Love this forum and my palm pre plus
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    weird, I have 0.0.5 installed and when I run Preware it tells me there is an update, but when I tap on it it brings me to the app catalog and under the program it has a button tap to launch (no update). Any ideas?

Love this ideas if it works great You are the man!!!!! I hate Verizon most of the time
    Last edited by slydog43; 07/20/2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    weird, I have 0.0.5 installed and when I run Preware it tells me there is an update, but when I tap on it it brings me to the app catalog and under the program it has a button tap to launch (no update). Any ideas?

Love this ideas if it works great You are the man!!!!! I hate Verizon most of the time
    Launch the app catalog. Tap on the shopping bag. Now look for the app and get the update. There is a time disconnect between the feeds. The shopping bag uses a real time check to see if an update is available, whereas the rest do not.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Anyone have a VZ Phone I can play with? I'm in Pensacola and can provide beer and food if you supply the phone

Sorry buddy, too far north for me or I'd help ya out.

On another note, how about a "Frequency" of 'Never' that would essentially turn the app off? Or does it turn itself off when I turn off the GPS on the device?

Thanks again for all your work.

-- HA. nevermind. I missed the enabled part. Ignore me thanks!.
    Last edited by discombobulate; 07/20/2010 at 01:49 PM.
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast