Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    Just a thought, but doesn't Verizon's original spec page for the Palm Pre, including aGPS, still exist, preserved in the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive?
    A screenshot image of this from Verizon's webpage has been posted here.
    My GPS had gotten worse since the last the latest webOS upgrade. GPS Fix doesn't help and launching VZ Navigator isn't helping much.
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    Bummer to see people still facing this issue with VZW Pres
    ya this does kinda suck for you verizon people out there

How you been jack?
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    i'm having good luck with just the good ole' vznavigator trick...i do have the qpst mod tho. verizon totally borked this phone from the get go...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    i'm having good luck with just the good ole' vznavigator trick...i do have the qpst mod tho. verizon totally borked this phone from the get go...
    You have to do the VZN trick even with QPST in place? One more reason not to do it, IMHO.
  6.    #526  
    The QPST tweaks improve accuracy and *potential* fix times. Those are hardware issues, and true of all Pres and Pre Pluses, not just Verizon's. GPS Fix addresses the Verizon-specific problem where no other location-based software can trigger the hardware GPS remotely as well or quickly as can VZ Navigator. That's a webOS issue (at least the version on the Verizon devices). Combining the approaches is what yields the most usable *and* accurate GPS functionality. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    The QPST tweaks improve accuracy and *potential* fix times. Those are hardware issues, and true of all Pres and Pre Pluses, not just Verizon's. GPS Fix addresses the Verizon-specific problem where no other location-based software can trigger the hardware GPS remotely as well or quickly as can VZ Navigator. That's a webOS issue (at least the version on the Verizon devices). Combining the approaches is what yields the most usable *and* accurate GPS functionality. {Jonathan}
    I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    You have to do the VZN trick even with QPST in place? One more reason not to do it, IMHO.
    the qpst mod isnt aimed at "fixing" the verizon aGPS issue. it only enables the other methods of getting a gps fix. so, now i have a REAL gps unit that i can use in the middle of nowhere, even with all the other radios off...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    the qpst mod isnt aimed at "fixing" the verizon aGPS issue. it only enables the other methods of getting a gps fix. so, now i have a REAL gps unit that i can use in the middle of nowhere, even with all the other radios off...
    Now that makes even more sense!
    So, now that WebOS 2.0 has been announced, and it will be coming to existing pre's/pre plus's (and Pre 2 will be coming to Verizon), what do you think the odds are that after the 2.0 upgrade we'll have working GPS on Verizon?
    Odds are VZW will bork the Pre2 as well...
  12.    #532  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    So, now that WebOS 2.0 has been announced, and it will be coming to existing pre's/pre plus's (and Pre 2 will be coming to Verizon), what do you think the odds are that after the 2.0 upgrade we'll have working GPS on Verizon?
    Good question. Depends on how much the public exposure, the ongoing complaints, and (most importantly) HP's much larger footprint for leverage, matters to Verizon Wireless. {Jonathan}
    I don't know if any of you guys are still following this thread. I just want to update that I think VZ has implemented what it threatened to do, which is to hobble the VZ-navigator loophole. Over the past couple of weeks, I was experiencing increasing difficulties in getting GPS fix. Last couple of days, I could not get a location fix despite repeated opening of the VZ-navigator card. When using GPS-trip panel as a readout, the status bar reports, with each opening of VZ-navigator, an immediate status of GPS satellite lock, good signal. Then within 15 seconds, the status reverts to "searching for satellites....", where it will remain.

Anyone else experiencing a degradation of capabilities in the last week or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I don't know if any of you guys are still following this thread. I just want to update that I think VZ has implemented what it threatened to do, which is to hobble the VZ-navigator loophole. Over the past couple of weeks, I was experiencing increasing difficulties in getting GPS fix. Last couple of days, I could not get a location fix despite repeated opening of the VZ-navigator card. When using GPS-trip panel as a readout, the status bar reports, with each opening of VZ-navigator, an immediate status of GPS satellite lock, good signal. Then within 15 seconds, the status reverts to "searching for satellites....", where it will remain.

Anyone else experiencing a degradation of capabilities in the last week or two?
    nope...the vz nav trick is working for me...i haven't enabled gpsfix lately since i've not "needed" gps alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Good question. Depends on how much the public exposure, the ongoing complaints, and (most importantly) HP's much larger footprint for leverage, matters to Verizon Wireless. {Jonathan}
    Maybe we need to complain to HP?

Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I don't know if any of you guys are still following this thread. I just want to update that I think VZ has implemented what it threatened to do, which is to hobble the VZ-navigator loophole.
    Would verizon be able to do it on their side--without screwing up VZN totally, or could they sneak an update into our phones without us knowing?
    Ok, I've broken it! I had the aGPS Patch by Ebag33 on my Verizon Preplus when it updated to 1.4.5. Now I'm stuck. I can't update it or remove it and my GPS doesn't work. At this point, I just want to get back to basic GPS working....even inaccurately. I got lost in the middle of nowhere & no GPS to give me a clue where I was. I know that spssktr's GPS Fix won't help BUT is there a post on this thread or another thread that can tell me how to remove the aGPS patch from my phone. HELP! I'll go back to the OLD functioning as bad as it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by joykenn View Post
    Ok, I've broken it! I had the aGPS Patch by Ebag33 on my Verizon Preplus when it updated to 1.4.5. Now I'm stuck. I can't update it or remove it and my GPS doesn't work. At this point, I just want to get back to basic GPS working....even inaccurately. I got lost in the middle of nowhere & no GPS to give me a clue where I was. I know that spssktr's GPS Fix won't help BUT is there a post on this thread or another thread that can tell me how to remove the aGPS patch from my phone. HELP! I'll go back to the OLD functioning as bad as it was.
    Have you done a battery pull?

Pull the battery while running, then put it back and let it boot. It'll take a while, but you should have GPS back.

As for removing patches, there's an emergency patch recovery feature in WOSQI. If that still fails, doctor? :-/
    Is anyone else getting a vz nav splash screen when unlocking their pre?
    it says:
    note: activating gps systems.
    this window will close automatically in 30 seconds

I've had gpsfix installed for a few months and never saw this prior to yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsmpre View Post
    Is anyone else getting a vz nav splash screen when unlocking their pre?
    it says:
    note: activating gps systems.
    this window will close automatically in 30 seconds

I've had gpsfix installed for a few months and never saw this prior to yesterday.
    That is the patch talking there. It's normal operation. When GPS is locked on a Verizon device, this activates as part of the unlocking process.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    I too can not either update or remove this Patch. My IPKG Log says something like:

-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.google-maps-enable-verizon-agps-server-for-improved-gps.prerm 2>&1

Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]

Apply anyway? [n]

1 out of 1 hunk ignored --saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna=applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

Unreversed patch detected!.....

Apply anyway? [n]

2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects...[skipping some text]...notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]

Apply anyway? [n]

1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects...[some text omitted]...poundGPS-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$

Yeah...I really understand this! NOT!

I haven't really used WOSQI since the initial install of Preware, so I'm a bit reticent (word for the day!) to try that if there is an easier way. But, if not, I guess I ought to give it a go. This patch hasn't been updated since June 2010 I think, so I don't know if the developer is planning on updating it for 1.4.5.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!