Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Sounds like your device is like my wifes (well, before GPS became unlocked from underclocking). If this is the case, it will not work for you.

In this scenario (which I have documented even with a video), the device will not get a fix using any of the methods I employ except the patch. Opening VZ Nav enables the aGPS for the current session and allows the GPS app to proceed. As soon as that app is closed or stops using GPS, the lock is immediate. Accessing GPS again requires the VZ Nav dance for every GPS call needed. This basically means that the "continual background fix" will not work because that was designed to simply keep the aGPS session alive. It it closes automatically every time, then this simply fails.

It's a documented issue and so far my efforts to work-around or fix it have not been successful. The # of devices that experience this is small, but they do exist. It's a tough nut to crack. My apologies, but I can only do so much...

Correct -- Anonymous Texter isn't free. *MOST* of my apps are though. I simply added it because I get absolutely no donations anymore. The only people who have contributed are homebrewers posting in this thread. Figured people might enjoy an opportunity to support me AND get a useful app in the process. Note: The only reason Anon texter is paid is to weed out casual abuse/misuse. Buying it makes people think twice before inserting foot in mouth.
    Thanks for the explanation, sorry for the flame.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE & CALL FOR BETA TESTERS

Jonathan and I have been discussing a method to "de-Verizonize" a device. Basically, remove all components like VZ Nav and such to see how GPS responds.

It's safe, but the re-Verizoning of the device could *possibly* result in a doctor visit. Any brave soles wiling to test out some new ideas? We are still working on this, it's just taking time.
    Sign me up!!!
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Jonathan and I have been discussing a method to "de-Verizonize" a device. Basically, remove all components like VZ Nav and such to see how GPS responds.

It's safe, but the re-Verizoning of the device could *possibly* result in a doctor visit. Any brave soles wiling to test out some new ideas? We are still working on this, it's just taking time.
    Sure, why not... I'll do it
    Thanks! Will go post in that thread, but my first gut instinct is that we do not have enough low level access to do this.
    I started looking for low-level access to the GPS, and got stopped when I noticed that there isn't any /dev/gps in the filesystem. I was trying to use mpt to have the GPS send NMEA out the diag port...

Interestingly TilIpcTest has a "gps logging" mode, and then there is a "gpsfixes" file in /var/log. I wasn't easily able (lsof, fuser) to see what process was writing to that file though.

That would definitely be the way to go, making it a stand alone GPS?

I am Chicken Little. Besides, I will be traveling for work next week again for the next few weeks.

Under your scenario, how do you explain the collection of odd ball behavior we have been seeing from Verizon devices. E.g. 1.4.5 upgrade, kernal swapping, and then having GPS deteriorate gradually over the course of the week again. It is not like a sudden lockdown of the device, as one would expect if VZW slaps the big deny on providing aGPS assistance to unpaid units. This has been a gradual diminution of function over period of days. It's like slow motion death. You know it's going to die, but it will take its own sweet time dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    i fully support your efforts to promote your apps. your gpsFix app has made you legendary...
    ...and FMR
    I've used this app before with great success. But after 1.4.5. The app wouldn't work anymore. I read that overclocking may be the issue. So I set govnah to the palm kernel, and it started working again. So I decided to turn off the app to see if the GPS would still lock on. Two weeks later and I'm still getting a good GPS lock, with no app, patches, or VZnav. Very strange indeed.
    Any brave soles wiling to test out some new ideas?
    Yep!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I've used this app before with great success. But after 1.4.5. The app wouldn't work anymore. I read that overclocking may be the issue. So I set govnah to the palm kernel, and it started working again. So I decided to turn off the app to see if the GPS would still lock on. Two weeks later and I'm still getting a good GPS lock, with no app, patches, or VZnav. Very strange indeed.
    I am curious... how much did you use the GPS during these 2 weeks?

Mine worked flawlessly for about a week, and there was a couple of days when I was too busy to even bring up GPS. Then over a weekend when I had some time, I starting messing around with the gps. Had gps-fix pinging all weekend, even in evenings indoors where there is no gps signal reception. Performance started going downhill after that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    I am curious... how much did you use the GPS during these 2 weeks?

Mine worked flawlessly for about a week, and there was a couple of days when I was too busy to even bring up GPS. Then over a weekend when I had some time, I starting messing around with the gps. Had gps-fix pinging all weekend, even in evenings indoors where there is no gps signal reception. Performance started going downhill after that point.
    nevermind, gps is back to not working. @vzwsupport confirmed verizon is locking the gps and has no plans to unlock it. I called tech support and they have no record of an issue with the pre plus gps. They also said that the pre plus was never advertised as having agps only standalone, which is a lie.
    why is it every time i call verizon tech support, they never acknowledge the existence of a problem?
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    nevermind, gps is back to not working. @vzwsupport confirmed verizon is locking the gps and has no plans to unlock it. I called tech support and they have no record of an issue with the pre plus gps. They also said that the pre plus was never advertised as having agps only standalone, which is a lie.
    The infamous fading results.

TIP: Never listen to VZ Support in regards to this issue. You will get answers ranging from one end of the rainbow to another. Jonathan has worked hard to get an "Official" word from Verizon. That is confirmed and what we base our strategies on.

In this case, they publicly acknowledged that aGPS is available for VZ Navigator only. They also acknowledged that the loophole of opening VZ Nav for 3rd party apps will be locked down. I've heard other VZ Support state differently, but I will ignore that and follow the official word.

Official Response: http://www.precentral.net/verizon-wi...at-gps-issue-0

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    why is it every time i call verizon tech support, they never acknowledge the existence of a problem?
    Admitting a problem would be tantamount to opening the class action floodgates. Deny, deny, deny.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

let me know what i need to do i'm interested
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    let me know what i need to do i'm interested
    I'm working on the instruction set now. Will post once I test it fully myself (De-Verizoning and Re-Verizoning).
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    I'm working on the instruction set now. Will post once I test it fully myself (De-Verizoning and Re-Verizoning).
    I will be traveling in Asia next week, but will be back in N America the middle of the following week. I won't mind being the second wave guinea pig, depending if the first wave makes it back alive.....
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I might be a little late to the game, but I would also be willing to help any way possible as long as it's deemed at least half-safe.

I'd like to try this. I donated a few months ago. Thanks.
  18.    #518  
    Just letting you all know, the de-Verizoning method I originally tried *significantly* degraded my GPS' usability until I undid it. Don't experiment if you rely on location-based services (even with the GPS Fix fix) for mission-critical purposes. {Jonathan}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Just letting you all know, the de-Verizoning method I originally tried *significantly* degraded my GPS' usability until I undid it. Don't experiment if you rely on location-based services (even with the GPS Fix fix) for mission-critical purposes. {Jonathan}
    Crap
    Just a thought, but doesn't Verizon's original spec page for the Palm Pre, including aGPS, still exist, preserved in the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive?

And baring that, shouldn't it matter what *Palm* says the phone is capable of, not Verizon?