Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I'm having a hard time believing Verizon is crippling GPS on the Palm Pre+, hoping to generate a notable revenue from the use of VZ Navigator. There are two reasons for my thoughts here.

First, how much money could that be? I'm sure the number of Verizon Palm Pre+'s has been posted on this site, but how much would $10/month times the number of VZ Pre+'s actually be...in the grand scheme of Verizon's income? I don't see this as a big motivation. Now, if they could cripple the Android phones, there would be a bigger financial incentive. But that brings me to my second reason.

Has anyone here used Verizon Navigator? I have, I gave the 30 day free trial a trial...and that's what it was...a trial. I was taking a 2.5 week 6,500 mile trip across much of the US and into Canada. My Lola (the pet name my daughter gave to my Garmin iQue 3600) had finally succumbed to dementia (no longer able to detect satellites) so I was needing a GPS. I figured if I 'bought' the use of VZ navigator, I would have wonderful GPS locating ability.

Let's just assume the app worked as it was designed. If it did, it would be disappointing at best. The interface is not very intuitive, and it takes too much effort and attention from the user (who might be the driver!). You can't add waypoints along your trip. You can only have one destination. I want to be able to set my final destination for the day, but enter waypoints to visit along the way. No luck with VZ Navigator.

Now let's come back to reality...it doesn't work as it was designed. It wouldn't work at first, I had to take it to a Verizon service center and it took them a bit of effort to get it working. After that, it seemed like it would work. So, I began my trip. It locks up with no apparent reason. The graphics are a poor imitation of a 'real' standalone GPS. Sometimes the purple directional arrow disappears, leaving you to guess which way to turn. Oh, and if you go outside your data area (I drove into Canada) you can't even turn on the app, no data access, no app.

After I returned to the US, I hardly ever could get it to work again. I was thinking how mad I would be if I were paying for it.

So, if VZ only cares about money...using VZ navigator as a tool to raise revenue doesn't seem to make sense. They are smarter at making money than that.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'd say they're ignoring it more than sabotaging it. They do it because they can.
    I used to use VZNav (VERY occasionally) on my feature phone when I could pay $3 for a 24-hour period. Interesting to hear that it still sucks just as much on a robust, powerful platform like webOS as it used to on whatever mangled BREW system that old phone used...
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    You missed us, did you?
    yep!

well my tests only revealed one thing - I live to close to work to test the GPS - 15 min drive, only able to poke at buttons occasionally.

hopefully I'll have more time out and about to try various things sometime this week!

Cheers, Clarice
    Tested with my phone and see no difference when changing cpu frequencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I'm having a hard time believing Verizon is crippling GPS on the Palm Pre+, hoping to generate a notable revenue from the use of VZ Navigator.
    Except, in the precentral story, Verizon said that they would actively close the existing VZ Navigator workaround in a future update. So what little crumbs we cling to on the GPS front, Verizon would rather expend resources on disabling any GPS capability vs enabling it (or even doing nothing).

On another note, (back to the app) when using GPS fix and manually hitting the VZ Navigator button, it brings up the "default" VZ Navigator instead of the "neutered" version (per the patch). I do have the patch installed, and I seem to remember a version of GPS fix that was posted here that would only call the version with the "buy" option locked out when manually called. Is that still available somewhere?

Thanks...
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Ok my friends - today I had a little more driving to do - left my afternoon class at Boise State (go Broncos) and sat in traffic through downtown Boise, Google maps first showed me at what was presumably a cell tower on campus. a block or two later I looked down and I was out in the Jordan Valley (Eastern Oregon) almost 100 driving direction miles away! Cars started moving, I made it to Costco and on my way back home an hour later I brought back up Google Maps and it showed me in Northern Nevada, now 198 driving direction miles from Boise.

Great stuff I'd reboot the phone if it didn't take 5 darn minutes to come back up, I can be home by then!

Not sure why my original attempt at posting the pictures didn't work... I guess a link will have to do
    maps_2010-23-09_164716 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

maps_2010-23-09_174511 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Last edited by shrxwin; 09/23/2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: link to pictures
    @Clarice Wow... you have one sick gps in that device of yours! I much rather have no loc rather than erroneous location.

An overall update. I am frustrated and discouraged. Initial euphoria is gone. Over the past couple of days, the gps function in my device became steadily and increasingly balky. Last evening, it required 3 openings of VZnav AND 5 minutes before gps radio will establish a lock. It became the way it was at the end of my xc driving trip.

No more 15 second instant gps locks, as I experienced immediately after 1.4.5 update.

(Yes, I did the battery pull resets, kernal changes, clock up,clock down, etc)

What is everyone else experiencing?
    I wonder why it seems to get progressively worse over time. Seems every time something changes, it works great, then, over the course of a week or so, it gets worse and goes back to the previous level of behavior. I don't think that's a placebo.
    Mine cannot get a fix (just says error occured) when I try the ##477# (##GPS#). I think the gps chip somehow is "clogged" by repeated queries. Either from VZ navigator starts or gps fix or bfg maps or what ever. So now I have a non functioning gps that does not even show my position on plain old google maps even in the middle of a street in NJ.

I wonder if I can send it back to Palm/Verizon and claim a replacement. After all I can demonstrate that the GPS is not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    I wonder why it seems to get progressively worse over time. Seems every time something changes, it works great, then, over the course of a week or so, it gets worse and goes back to the previous level of behavior. I don't think that's a placebo.
    That is exactly my observation. It takes about a week to degenerate. Had this happen to me on 2 separate instances. First was immediately after I started using GPS-fix. Last instance was immediately after 1.4.5 update.
    First: A quick thanks for the GPSfix app. It has greatly improved the function of my sickly gps on my Pre+.

Second: Have you ever used QuickGPS on a WinMob phone? I mention it here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gps-issue.html
    I wonder if the software could be adapted to the Pre+ or the technology added to GPSfix. It does not need access to aGPS servers or data in order to give you fast, accurate GPS locks.
    Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    uickGPS on a WinMob phone? I mention it here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gps-issue.html
    I wonder if the software could be adapted to the Pre+ or the technology added to GPSfix. It does not need access to aGPS servers or data in order to give you fast, accurate GPS locks.
    I am beginning to wonder if there is really nothing wrong with our VZ Pre's. The whole problem probably relates to Verizon denying aGPS data, or worse, feed gibberish data to devices that do not have paid VZnavigator service.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    The one question I would really like to see addressed by either Verizon or the FCC is does GPS work reliably when 911 is dialed. A requirement for all phones is that they can reliably give their coordinates to dispatchers when 911 through the e-911 system.
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
    This app doesn't do anything. All it ever does is flash "Still trying" in the notification bar. Oh yeah, it does do one thing, whenever I open it it tells me there's an information update in the "News" section. When I open that section it's advertisements for apps in the app catalog. So this is essentially non-functional spam-ware.
    Quote Originally Posted by malber View Post
    This app doesn't do anything. All it ever does is flash "Still trying" in the notification bar. Oh yeah, it does do one thing, whenever I open it it tells me there's an information update in the "News" section. When I open that section it's advertisements for apps in the app catalog. So this is essentially non-functional spam-ware.
    Any more details on ye there device? What the still trying aspect is is accuracy. If it get's an inaccurate fix, it will keep trying for a little bit to get a better reading, but not guaranteed. Try stepping outside, I bet it get's a much better lock. It is getting a signal, which means it is doing it's job. There are just too many factors involved to promise accuracy.

And what is wrong with me advertising my own apps? I spent weeks of my time developing this app for everyone to use free of charge. Most of my apps are free anyways, so why can I not use my hard work to help spread the good word?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    i fully support your efforts to promote your apps. your gpsFix app has made you legendary...
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Any more details on ye there device? What the still trying aspect is is accuracy. If it get's an inaccurate fix, it will keep trying for a little bit to get a better reading, but not guaranteed. Try stepping outside, I bet it get's a much better lock. It is getting a signal, which means it is doing it's job.
    Palm Pre Plus with webOS 1.4.5. Three weeks ago I was at the Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, RI, outside all day, and failed to get a lock. Didn't even get an "Extremely low" lock. This was on a sunny day. The App doesn't work in the background. The only way it does seem to work is if I continually click the VZ Navigator button. I do have the patch installed.

Ok, yes, I know it's not responsible for getting an accurate lock. But I'd be happy if it just worked in the background all the time, pinging the server like it's supposed to.

BTW, Anonymous Texter isn't a free app.
    Sorry for my absense as of late, I had the flu. Almost back at 100% though. Will try to hammer through this stuff.

The Overclocking Workaround -- Seems this fizzeled out after a few days just like the 1.4.5 update. Not the panacea we had been hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by psmith View Post
    Mine cannot get a fix (just says error occured) when I try the ##477# (##GPS#). I think the gps chip somehow is "clogged" by repeated queries. Either from VZ navigator starts or gps fix or bfg maps or what ever. So now I have a non functioning gps that does not even show my position on plain old google maps even in the middle of a street in NJ.
    Turn GPS off, reboot device, then turn it on. Had an issue like this when I came back from my trip to Honduras. Took me a lil bit to get it working again. ##477# also is weird as it looks for a fresh, non-cached fix. If it is even 1 ms old, it will just say error.

Quote Originally Posted by AWChuck View Post
    First: A quick thanks for the GPSfix app. It has greatly improved the function of my sickly gps on my Pre+.

Second: Have you ever used QuickGPS on a WinMob phone? I mention it here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gps-issue.html
    Thanks! Will go post in that thread, but my first gut instinct is that we do not have enough low level access to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    The one question I would really like to see addressed by either Verizon or the FCC is does GPS work reliably when 911 is dialed. A requirement for all phones is that they can reliably give their coordinates to dispatchers when 911 through the e-911 system.
    I am about to see if I can reliably test this. If anyone else wants to try, contact your local sheriff. Explain you *need* to test e911 GPS reporting. See if they will give you permission to call 911 and try without arresting you. Calling 911 without a valid reason is actually a crime, so GET PERMISSION FIRST. I do need several reports of this working or failing for the record. Help anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    On another note, (back to the app) when using GPS fix and manually hitting the VZ Navigator button, it brings up the "default" VZ Navigator instead of the "neutered" version (per the patch). I do have the patch installed, and I seem to remember a version of GPS fix that was posted here that would only call the version with the "buy" option locked out when manually called. Is that still available somewhere?
    The IPK is linked several pages back. But is the "Use Patch" option set to yes? If so, it should try the patched launch regardless. The new IPK simply trys the patch regardless of the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post

So, if VZ only cares about money...using VZ navigator as a tool to raise revenue doesn't seem to make sense. They are smarter at making money than that.
    It's actually not just VZ Navigator, but their new LBS (Location Based Sevices) API's they launched. They spent money putting together aGPS like every other carrier. They just think they can make money off licensing it unlike the others who simply embed it's use. It is smart, but unfortunately does not sit well with users.

Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    So that was a long-winded way of saying that once we all verified that this approach can liberate our VZW gps', then perhaps we can ask our fearless leader, James Harris, to write us a modified GPS-fix patch that is amenable to MS automation. For the time being, in my MS profile I have either (a) GPS-fix, requiring a manual press of a button, or (b) VZnav (gasp!!)
    Actually, he can do this already... This code launches the "background" nature of the app to ping the GPS. This does not launch a card, so that would require a second call without that action, but it's all possible already:

Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest("palm://com.palm.applicationManager", {
    	method: 'open',
    	parameters: {
    		id: "com.jamesharris.gpsfix",
    		params: {action: 'pingGPS'}
    	},
    	onSuccess:function(){
    		//--> It launched successfully
    	}.bind(this),
    	onFailure:function(){
    		//--> GPS Fix is not installed
    	}.bind(this)
    })

IMPORTANT NOTICE & CALL FOR BETA TESTERS

Jonathan and I have been discussing a method to "de-Verizonize" a device. Basically, remove all components like VZ Nav and such to see how GPS responds.

It's safe, but the re-Verizoning of the device could *possibly* result in a doctor visit. Any brave soles wiling to test out some new ideas? We are still working on this, it's just taking time.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by malber View Post
    Palm Pre Plus with webOS 1.4.5. Three weeks ago I was at the Roger Williams Zoo in Providence, RI, outside all day, and failed to get a lock. Didn't even get an "Extremely low" lock. This was on a sunny day. The App doesn't work in the background. The only way it does seem to work is if I continually click the VZ Navigator button. I do have the patch installed.

Ok, yes, I know it's not responsible for getting an accurate lock. But I'd be happy if it just worked in the background all the time, pinging the server like it's supposed to.

BTW, Anonymous Texter isn't a free app.
    Sounds like your device is like my wifes (well, before GPS became unlocked from underclocking). If this is the case, it will not work for you.

In this scenario (which I have documented even with a video), the device will not get a fix using any of the methods I employ except the patch. Opening VZ Nav enables the aGPS for the current session and allows the GPS app to proceed. As soon as that app is closed or stops using GPS, the lock is immediate. Accessing GPS again requires the VZ Nav dance for every GPS call needed. This basically means that the "continual background fix" will not work because that was designed to simply keep the aGPS session alive. It it closes automatically every time, then this simply fails.

It's a documented issue and so far my efforts to work-around or fix it have not been successful. The # of devices that experience this is small, but they do exist. It's a tough nut to crack. My apologies, but I can only do so much...

Correct -- Anonymous Texter isn't free. *MOST* of my apps are though. I simply added it because I get absolutely no donations anymore. The only people who have contributed are homebrewers posting in this thread. Figured people might enjoy an opportunity to support me AND get a useful app in the process. Note: The only reason Anon texter is paid is to weed out casual abuse/misuse. Buying it makes people think twice before inserting foot in mouth.
    - James Harris

Author of: