Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 594
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #441  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Unlikely. Are you a subscriber to VZ Navigator? They plan on closing the loophole I exploit to make GPS Fix work, so it will regress quickly soon enough. I believe it will function if you are a subscriber, but non-subscribers will get failures.
    No, I am not a subscriber to VZ Navigator. I never have and never will be.
  2. #442  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I looked at the Verizon 1.4.5 Pixi doctor, the GPS files are identical to the previous versions for Verizon/Sprint Pre/Pixi/Plus.

    I did not look to see if the GPS services were the same, but I highly doubt they are different.

    Anyone who says 1.4.5 fixes GPS.....I would take that with an extremely large grain of salt.
    Correct, the files have not changed. I was referencing the server side parts to this that are required. That is likely where they will lock this down at, and that has not changed yet.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  3. shrxwin's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    #443  
    well my success early this morning and mid-morning (very quick fixes after getting outside) failed at the lunchtime walk and continued to fail - Google Maps had me still at work with a very small blue circle the whole time i was going to school then home. I finally opened GPS Fix and it was reporting poor accuracy, in my driveway i gave up and pushed the vz nav button inside GPS Fix and voila! I was at my house. so when I'm out and about i'll keep GPS fix running - and hope the loophole doesn't get closed anytime soon! thanks again for the work James.

    Clarice
  4. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #444  
    Yeah, I take it all back now. My GPS was getting a lock without VZ Nav yesterday. However, today it fails miserably. I haven't got one successful lock. Sigh... Verizon should burn for crippling this!
  5. danib62's Avatar
    Posts
    160 Posts
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    #445  
    honestly someone should start up a class action against vzw.
  6. #446  
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    well my success early this morning and mid-morning (very quick fixes after getting outside) failed at the lunchtime walk and continued to fail - Google Maps had me still at work with a very small blue circle the whole time i was going to school then home. I finally opened GPS Fix and it was reporting poor accuracy, in my driveway i gave up and pushed the vz nav button inside GPS Fix and voila! I was at my house. so when I'm out and about i'll keep GPS fix running - and hope the loophole doesn't get closed anytime soon! thanks again for the work James.

    Clarice
    This gradual degradation is REALLY puzzling. I, too, had my GPS magically emancipated without having to use VZnav or GPSfix after 1.4.5. It is still working this morning, and I got a <60ft fix within a couple of minutes of stepping outside and turning on GPS radio. If your experience is the norm, I am expecting by this afternoon or tomorrow, my GPS again will be locked down.

    I;ve experience the gradual degradation in the past, with 1.4.1. When I started on a 3 week driving trip, my gps worked wonderfully with the help of GPSfix. But by the last week of my trip, the gps was getting increasingly bulky to kickstart in the mornings, despite GPSfix and VZnav.

    I am making a flying guess that repeating commands from VZnav results in increasingly inaccessible GPS data. So this time I have NOT used GPSfix nor VZnav since the 1.4.5 update. We'll see if not using VZnav will delay the eventual lockdown.
  7. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #447  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    We'll see if not using VZnav will delay the eventual lockdown.
    I haven't opened VZ Nav once. I am being stubborn this time. I have completely hidden the icon away using Sconix's Advanced Configuration for App Launcher patch. My GPS has already been "locked down." I haven't had one successful lock since last night.
  8. #448  
    Bummer to see people still facing this issue with VZW Pres
    MatterOfFactJack
  9. #449  
    I have used GPSFix for at least three months with general success. My device does not "hold" a fix at night or when I lose signal, but when I go outside and "do the dance", I usually get a fix within 2 or 3 minutes. (The dance being, launch GPSFix, launch VZ Navigator -> Decline, Launch GPS App such as BFG Maps or Geocaching).

    Now that I have upgraded to 1.4.5 I am not getting a fix even after the dance. Also running Uberkernel and Govnah 1 500/1000 screenstate.

    Patches installed are:
    (I have listed GPS patches only, I have others installed)

    Enable Verizon AGPS Server (I don't recall if I removed this before update to 1.4.5 and see that this may be an issue)
    GPSFix for VZ Navigator
    GPS in Device Menu

    Under Location Services I have:

    Auto Locate = ON
    Geotag Photos = ON
    (there are no other options)

    For GPSFix:

    Enable = YES
    Use Patch = YES
    Freq = 20 minutes.

    Should I Dr. my phone? Anyone else have suggestions? I have not tried the QPST trick.

    This really stinks that there are so many issues with this.
  10. #450  
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Now that I have upgraded to 1.4.5 I am not getting a fix even after the dance. Also running Uberkernel and Govnah 1 500/1000 screenstate.
    Have you tried scaling back CPU to 500? I have found that VZW GPS does not like 1000 MHz, not even my Bruce Lee Pre. Before the 1.4.5, even 800 can lead to periodic bulking GPS, and I am assuming this hasnt changed.

    I have had exceptional experience with 1.4.5. Since upgrading, I have created custom profile for GPS using Mode Switcher
    - trigger: GPS-fix running in foreground or background
    - Govnah Srv to UberK default, back to screenstate 250/800 upon close.
    - immediate: GPS radio=on; off upon close.
    - VZ navigator, delay 15 sec
    - GPS TripPanel (my readout, delay 30 sec)
    - Close all above apps upon close of profile

    In every instance for an entire week, I could get GPS lock within 1 minute of enabling GPS-fix (which I use as trigger to turn on mode), including the delay times to activate everything in profile.

    Switching background toggle in GPS-fix to off and closing app is trigger to get out of this mode and return to normal/default profile with GPS radio off.

    **edited to add that I am no longer using the gps patch that accompanies GPS-fix. Don't know if that made any difference. Removed it b/f 1.4.5 update. Never needed it after.
    Last edited by luau joe; 09/20/2010 at 09:49 AM.
  11. #451  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Have you tried scaling back CPU to 500? I have found that VZW GPS does not like 1000 MHz, not even my Bruce Lee Pre.
    Wow. That did the trick! I would not have gotten there on my own. I changed Govnah profile to Palm default, and had an accurate lock in 20 seconds. I have not done extensive testing for repeatability, but that is the first lock I have had since upgrading to 1.4.5.

    I guess I will have to learn how to make custom profiles so that when using GPS apps the CPU shifts to lower speed.
  12. #452  
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Wow. That did the trick! I would not have gotten there on my own. I changed Govnah profile to Palm default, and had an accurate lock in 20 seconds. I have not done extensive testing for repeatability, but that is the first lock I have had since upgrading to 1.4.5.

    I guess I will have to learn how to make custom profiles so that when using GPS apps the CPU shifts to lower speed.
    Whoa... I've never heard about this or tried it... Been running Delta Dagger (800MHz) this whole time. What a bizarre problem...
  13. #453  
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Should I Dr. my phone? Anyone else have suggestions? I have not tried the QPST trick.

    This really stinks that there are so many issues with this.
    I meant to respond earlier but got distracted with a BIOS update.

    The moral of the story, hold off on drastic actions like doctoring until all other options are explored. I would not think that the speed has much impact, but a battery pull can. I would try running like you were after pulling the battery.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  14. #454  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I meant to respond earlier but got distracted with a BIOS update.

    The moral of the story, hold off on drastic actions like doctoring until all other options are explored. I would not think that the speed has much impact, but a battery pull can. I would try running like you were after pulling the battery.
    Battery pull had no effect. I had pulled the battery for other reason many times since 1.4.5....

    I am going to try to do some more consistent testing over the next few days...

    And I really appreciate your work on this.
  15. #455  
    has anyone seen an improvement in the VZW GPS after 1.4.5?

    I could be dreaming, but it seems to be working better, even when I'm not using GPS fix. Has anyone else noticed that? The GPS still kills the battery so I try to leave it off, but when I've turned it on for Foursquare or google maps, it seems to be working better.

    Am I dreaming?
  16. Tigrao's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #456  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    Have you tried scaling back CPU to 500? I have found that VZW GPS does not like 1000 MHz, not even my Bruce Lee Pre.
    Are you kidding me!? I just clocked my CPU back to 500 Mhz, fired up Google Maps, and I had a lock! Is it really as simple as installing 1.4.5 and not overclocking to get good GPS results?
  17. #457  
    I just had the same thing happen. Yesterday it took forever to get a GPS fix, I had the uberkernel default profile. I just switched it back to palm default after reading this thread and I got a GPS fix within 10 secconds! Very strange...
  18. #458  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    has anyone seen an improvement in the VZW GPS after 1.4.5?

    I could be dreaming, but it seems to be working better, even when I'm not using GPS fix. Has anyone else noticed that? The GPS still kills the battery so I try to leave it off, but when I've turned it on for Foursquare or google maps, it seems to be working better.

    Am I dreaming?
    I've noticed the same too. In 1.4.1, it would take about 2 -3 minutes after turning on radio for accurate GPS lock. In 1.4.5, the process less than 30 seconds.

    I also noticed that immediately after I updated to 1.4.5, VZnav was no longer needed. However, that only lasted for about a day or two, which coincided with me updating UK and messing around with 1G overclocking.

    Now I've scaled back to default 500MHz before turning on gps radio. I have been experiencing very reliable gps startup, as detailed in my earlier post. I think the gps would be fine at 800, but scale back to 500 was intended for battery conservation than anything else.
  19. #459  
    Ok, 1 report is a fluke. All of you guys seeing this really kind of puzzles me.

    I'll talk to Rod and will see what might be going on here. Gonna steal my Wife's Pre again for some more testing... *goes undercover*

    EDIT: non-overclocked Pre still having the same issues. Not surprising considering the GPS related files themselves have NOT changed.

    EDIT 2: Keep the reports coming. I want to know if ALL of you see the same thing, or if it is just another "pool" of possibilities.
    Last edited by spdsktr; 09/20/2010 at 01:26 PM.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  20. #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ok, 1 report is a fluke. All of you guys seeing this really kind of puzzles me.

    I'll talk to Rod and will see what might be going on here. Gonna steal my Wife's Pre again for some more testing... *goes undercover*
    Thanks, James!!!!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions