Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    An update to the GPS Saga:

http://www.precentral.net/verizon-wi...at-gps-issue-0

Sorry guys, Jonathan tried his best, but they are being all Verizon-y and stuff. More homebrewing to come, but I cannot promise anything.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Ohh, and btw, this means GPS Fix will suddenly break at some point in the future...

Mr. Simon also confirmed the VZ Navigator workaround, but stated that it was a "hole" that Verizon Wireless intended to close.
    Depending on how they patch the "hole", I may not be able to work around it.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ohh, and btw, this means GPS Fix will suddenly break at some point in the future...

Depending on how they patch the "hole", I may not be able to work around it.
    this really tweaks my nipples... I will be contacting the FCC today from the letter then sent me and letting them know of this travesty. I'll also be contacting the BBB and whoever is the overseers of the advertising
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/14/2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Language - when auto censored you should edit your post to conform to forum guidelines
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    After 1.4.5 GPS in Google Maps and other third party programs seems to be working great for me, without VZNav. I did the QPST hack soon after I got my device in April. I am wondering if 1.4.5 changed something so that the QPST GPS hack actually works. This doesn't change anything as far as Verizon's response to these issues goes. Their stance on this issue is clear... they don't care. However, I wonder if they inadvertently created another workaround to the GPS problems .
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrao View Post
    After 1.4.5 GPS in Google Maps and other third party programs seems to be working great for me, without VZNav. I did the QPST hack soon after I got my device in April. I am wondering if 1.4.5 changed something so that the QPST GPS hack actually works. This doesn't change anything as far as Verizon's response to these issues goes. Their stance on this issue is clear... they don't care. However, I wonder if they inadvertently created another workaround to the GPS problems .
    Unlikely. Are you a subscriber to VZ Navigator? They plan on closing the loophole I exploit to make GPS Fix work, so it will regress quickly soon enough. I believe it will function if you are a subscriber, but non-subscribers will get failures.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I've used GPS Fix from the beginning. This morning after my update to 1.4.5 then update in Preware of my patches I first turned off GPS Fix (location services has been off for a long time) then did my Device Restart. Left the house and brought up google maps - had a fix within a block. left work for school and fired up Trapster, fix within the block. same leaving school back to work.

I've read the front page article, but I'm going to reserve final judgment until i've had a few days of success or the failure kicks back in...

Thanks for all the support with this fix James!

Cheers, Clarice
    ....i fnally un-QPST'd and dr'd my pre+ once 1.4.5 was officially confirmed last week. Now that vzw has publicly stated it intends to "close" the "loophole" for aGPS access, my fingers are crossed that james' patch and app hold till I can score tomtom on black friday.... My biggest question is why vznav couldn't wake the gps sometimes...even as a subscriber???
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    @shrxwin, are you a VZ Navigator subscriber or not?

This is 3 reports of things working better now, but stifled by hundreds more that say it is still broken. I would say interesting, but more like puzzling.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Hi James - I haven't subscribed to VZ Nav on this phone, and for the last couple of months have had your patch running every 10 min to reopen it. I've had all that turned off since my device restart.

I've been inside the building here at work for 2 hours now, I sit near a window but generally don't have a fix while here, and I don't seem to have one now.

When I head out for a walk or back to school later I'll be firing up gps Dashboard+ and/or Trapster and we'll see how quickly it reacquires.

Cheers, Clarice
    Do you have Google Services off? You said "Location Services" earlier.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Do you have Google Services off? You said "Location Services" earlier.
    sorry, haven't been in there for a long time! Location Services - Auto Locate is on, while "locate me using" has GPS On and Google Services is Off

Thanks Clarice
    No problem. Just getting a clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    My biggest question is why vznav couldn't wake the gps sometimes...even as a subscriber???
    Bad signal? Simply frozen GPS Receiver (it happens)? Simply no connection to aGPS Servers?

The myriad of potential scenarios is boggling, even more so than VZ's decision.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ok, I'm back with some results. I took a 30 min walk and it took 15 minutes to finally have a signal worth reporting. I emailed the GPX file from FitTrack to myself, and the path it recorded is very accurate.

so, definitely NOT the 20 second fix I got this morning while driving
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    ok, I'm back with some results. I took a 30 min walk and it took 15 minutes to finally have a signal worth reporting. I emailed the GPX file from FitTrack to myself, and the path it recorded is very accurate.

so, definitely NOT the 20 second fix I got this morning while driving
    I'm not surprised. The same thing happens to me almost every day unless I do a GPS fix when I step outside. Of course, even that's no guarantee...
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    so are these rumors that gps works in 1.4.5 false?
    IMHO, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    Yes, they seem to be temporary flukes. I do not think anything has changed *yet* in regards to GPS. It's the same ole, same ole. That will change once VZW does plug the "hole" though.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I'll test for myself soon. Right now I'm in the midst of a different experiment waiting to see how long it takes for the update to get pushed to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by danib62 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Yes, they seem to be temporary flukes. I do not think anything has changed *yet* in regards to GPS. It's the same ole, same ole. That will change once VZW does plug the "hole" though.
    I looked at the Verizon 1.4.5 Pixi doctor, the GPS files are identical to the previous versions for Verizon/Sprint Pre/Pixi/Plus.

I did not look to see if the GPS services were the same, but I highly doubt they are different.

Anyone who says 1.4.5 fixes GPS.....I would take that with an extremely large grain of salt.