Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 594
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #401  
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Wifi off.
    Sorry, I was thinking Wifi due to the code I was working on. I MEANT to say how was your signal strength?
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  2. #402  
    You mean cell signal?
  3. #403  
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    You mean cell signal?
    I have been working non-stop and not articulating myself clearly -- must rest. Yes, cell signal. That is what is needed for the aGPS means.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  4. #404  
    I'll check tomorrow, but as far as I remember, it's always been 4 or 5 (out of 5) bars.
  5. #405  
    I have done a complete erase of all apps and data when my phone no longer played any audio, had any use of the camera, played any video, or played any sound. THIS IS NOT A SPEAKER issue. Verizon wouldn't take back the phone because it does work when DIALING A CALL ONLY. No other time.

    After I erased all the apps and reinstalled, everything worked perfectly.
    I painstakingly reinstalled all the apps and patches like openssh and lighttpd.
    I checked this problem after installing each thing and it was PERFECT until I installed this app. I forgot to install because when I tried using the PHP script that gets the gps info, I realized I needed it.

    I realized after installing this and rebooting, the problem reoccurred.

    I HOLD NOBODY ACCOUNTABLE but myself. I would just like to know if there is anything I can do to fix this without reinstalling everything again.

    Is there ANYTHING that this app could have touched to cause such a disaster.

    I am a unix Newbie, but I managed to figure out how to installed such things as the http server, and also how to retrieve a list of all the firewall rules that get added to the iptables. Honestly I thought that me flushing the iptables is what caused the damage the first time. After rebuilding and testing after every step, I am left with this app.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by bipedinfo; 09/08/2010 at 01:43 AM.
  6. #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipedinfo View Post
    I have done a complete erase of all apps and data when my phone no longer played any audio, had any use of the camera, played any video, or played any sound. THIS IS NOT A SPEAKER issue. Verizon wouldn't take back the phone because it does work when DIALING A CALL ONLY. No other time.

    After I erased all the apps and reinstalled, everything worked perfectly.
    I painstakingly reinstalled all the apps and patches like openssh and lighttpd.
    I checked this problem after installing each thing and it was PERFECT until I installed this app. I forgot to install because when I tried using the PHP script that gets the gps info, I realized I needed it.

    I realized after installing this and rebooting, the problem reoccurred.

    I HOLD NOBODY ACCOUNTABLE but myself. I would just like to know if there is anything I can do to fix this without reinstalling everything again.

    Is there ANYTHING that this app could have touched to cause such a disaster.
    I'd really start uninstalling things, rebooting in between.

    If you installed crap then checked after each install, then installed GPSFix **and rebooted**, that reboot may have been the trick... as in, it triggered the behavior that was caused by something you installed. Or, are you saying you rebooted after you installed each and every app and patch?

    I'm not trying to say it's impossible, but it's much less likely it's this app over other lower level things.
  7. #407  
    I agree with Bill abt reboots and testing in between. If the same exact process is not done for every app, then you cannot tel for sure.

    Bit, this app could not do that. It uses no audio, nor does it touch those systems. Nor do we have that kind of control over the device... Sorry, but I cannot see anyway that this app or any other non com.palm namespace app could cause this. I would bet that the issue is mechanical or electrical and the reboot triggered it after a full reset of the device and power management. Sorry, wish I could be of more help, but that is out of my league when it comes to physical issues.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  8. #408  
    typing on a pre at 2 am causes all kinds of spelling mistakes... Sorry
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  9. #409  
    I was careful to reboot after installing the http server. Everything was working fine after that. I tested each time by calling my phone to hear the ringtone. It was only after installing this. I am trying ti think of some way to rerun all the scripts and packages I installed. I am sure. It is only 12 am where I am.
  10. #410  
    2010-09-08T07:44:04.731597Z [7170] palm-webos-device user.notice audiod: _connectSocket: connect error 'Connection refused' on fd (15)

    This has appeared numerous times in the messages file under logs.

    Could this be the audio problem? Could this have been affected?

    I attached the whole log.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  11. #411  
    That does appear to be the error related to your problem.

    But I still fail to see your reasoning for how GPS Fix caused this... It does not use any audio. You can root through the source code all you want and will not find a reference to any audio controls. NO power management, no bus attempts, nothing that would cause this behavior.

    I only use the sanctioned/official API for getting location data. Then the (again, official Palm API) app launch method for the VZ Navigator stuff.

    Sorry, but I think it was coincidental. May I recommend Palm support?
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  12. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #412  
    James, a question for you regarding patch launch behavior:

    Is it possible (or perhaps already planned) to have the GPS Fix app not call the patch if it finds that GPS is turned off? I've begun using Mode Switcher, and I have GPS turned off at work and in a battery maximizer mode, but GPS Fix always calls the patch even if GPS is off, thereby (partly) defeating my reason for having GPS off in those modes - battery saving.

    If this is not possible, could GPS Fix interface with Mode Switcher's application service ability to be able to turn GPS Fix off or at least disable the Use Patch functionality? (BTW, I have NO idea how this stuff works, but maybe you do.)

    Again, amazing work you've put into this. Don't think I'm not grateful for this app/patch, as I am one of the lucky ones who have never been let down by my GPS since I started using this.
  13. #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipedinfo View Post
    I have done a complete erase of all apps and data when my phone no longer played any audio, had any use of the camera, played any video, or played any sound. THIS IS NOT A SPEAKER issue. Verizon wouldn't take back the phone because it does work when DIALING A CALL ONLY. No other time.

    After I erased all the apps and reinstalled, everything worked perfectly.
    I painstakingly reinstalled all the apps and patches like openssh and lighttpd.
    I checked this problem after installing each thing and it was PERFECT until I installed this app. I forgot to install because when I tried using the PHP script that gets the gps info, I realized I needed it.

    I realized after installing this and rebooting, the problem reoccurred.

    I HOLD NOBODY ACCOUNTABLE but myself. I would just like to know if there is anything I can do to fix this without reinstalling everything again.

    Is there ANYTHING that this app could have touched to cause such a disaster.

    I am a unix Newbie, but I managed to figure out how to installed such things as the http server, and also how to retrieve a list of all the firewall rules that get added to the iptables. Honestly I thought that me flushing the iptables is what caused the damage the first time. After rebuilding and testing after every step, I am left with this app.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Interesting that you say above:

    Verizon wouldn't take back the phone because it does work when DIALING A CALL ONLY. No other time.

    I've begun to realize that Verizon still thinks phones are for making phone calls only and that they basically don't really support smart phones.

    They just don't get it.
  14. #414  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    James, a question for you regarding patch launch behavior:

    Is it possible (or perhaps already planned) to have the GPS Fix app not call the patch if it finds that GPS is turned off? I've begun using Mode Switcher, and I have GPS turned off at work and in a battery maximizer mode, but GPS Fix always calls the patch even if GPS is off, thereby (partly) defeating my reason for having GPS off in those modes - battery saving.

    If this is not possible, could GPS Fix interface with Mode Switcher's application service ability to be able to turn GPS Fix off or at least disable the Use Patch functionality? (BTW, I have NO idea how this stuff works, but maybe you do.)

    Again, amazing work you've put into this. Don't think I'm not grateful for this app/patch, as I am one of the lucky ones who have never been let down by my GPS since I started using this.
    The patch works by making changes to the launch parameters of VZ Navigator. The additional launch param then disables a few things on VZ Nav launch (screen forced on), stops it from getting to the 'purchase' screen, then closes itself after 3 seconds. The dev of mode switcher can use the same exact launch params I do to 'unlock' GPS.

    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest("palm://com.palm.applicationManager", {
    	method: 'launch',
    	parameters: {
    		id: "com.palm.app.vznavigator",
    		params: {target: 'close:true'}
    	},
    	onSuccess:function(){
    		//--> Success!
    		Mojo.Controller.getAppController().showBanner($L("Wait for VZ Nav to close"), {source: 'notification'});
    		this.handleFocus.bind(this).delay(3);
    	}.bind(this),
    	onFailure:function(){
    		this.controller.showAlertDialog({
    			preventCancel: false,
    			title: $L("VZ Navigator Not Installed"),
    			message: $L("VZ Navigator is not installed. Could not complete this process."),
    			choices:[
    				{label:$L('Ok'), value:"ok", type:'dismissal'}
    			]
    		});
    	}.bind(this)
    })
    this.handleFocus.bind(this).delay(3) is a function that simply refocuses GPS Fix after 3 seconds. No sense in you watching a "please wait for this to close" screen for 30 seconds.

    FYI, Mr. bipedinfo and I spoke earlier. I am confident that GPS Fix did not cause his audio issue. HOWEVER, what he was doing gave me an idea. I shall return from the depths soon with hopefully good news.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  15. #415  
    Quote Originally Posted by bipedinfo View Post
    2010-09-08T07:44:04.731597Z [7170] palm-webos-device user.notice audiod: _connectSocket: connect error 'Connection refused' on fd (15)

    This has appeared numerous times in the messages file under logs.

    Could this be the audio problem? Could this have been affected?

    I attached the whole log.
    For the record, bipedinfo and I spoke earlier. Nice guy. His post does fail to mention that he is attempting to get a web server running on his Pre. He went so far as to load a list of Unix firewall rules (*hint*) to unlock ports.

    Since the file he emailed me is for Unix, and webOS is on Linux, I believe that this is the cause. The error data suggests that the Pulse audio server is offline. Those firewall rules may not have taken this into account.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  16. #416  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeAFe View Post
    Interesting that you say above:

    Verizon wouldn't take back the phone because it does work when DIALING A CALL ONLY. No other time.

    I've begun to realize that Verizon still thinks phones are for making phone calls only and that they basically don't really support smart phones.

    They just don't get it.
    I think they just won't take it back because it's clear it's not bad hardware... if it works in any capacity then it's some software problem, and it's no longer a defect but something he did.
  17. #417  
    New here. Needed to download and install Preware in order to get this. Preware wouldn't install -- couldn't find the device. Suggestions? Thanks!
  18. #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by eclsham View Post
    New here. Needed to download and install Preware in order to get this. Preware wouldn't install -- couldn't find the device. Suggestions? Thanks!
    This isn't really the place, but make sure Developer Mode is on and you're in "just charge" mode (NOT "usb drive")
  19. #419  
    Thanks. Check to both of those. I figured it out. Will keep stupid questions to myself in future.
  20. #420  
    Quote Originally Posted by eclsham View Post
    Thanks. Check to both of those. I figured it out. Will keep stupid questions to myself in future.
    Not at all. I didn't mean to imply it was a stupid question, just that there are places to ask about Preware etc.

    Anyway, glad you got it working. Hope the patch works for you!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions