Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    VZ Navigator Subscription not required. Never was to get the dance working. . .
    I might have confused what akienmaciain said: I thought he was saying that even VANav was actually reporting the wrong location; I figured without a subscription I couldn't check to see where VZNav said I am.

I recently had to change devices because of a problem with the power switch, and the replacement device is a bit more balky than my original one. It seems to need more prodding to make the GPS work properly.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Please note, the following fix for frozen GPS is still being tested (however it has worked 4/4 times I've had to do it)

if GPSFIX is giving you a reading that says it's low_medium_or_good but your other apps still don't register a gpsfix (i.e. GPS Dashboard just spins or never shows any speed even if you are moving at 80mph, or VNAV says that your are still where you left 10 min ago, or or or ...)
    exit all gps apps
    open gpsfix
    turn off gps (either through location services or if you have gps listed in your device menu per a patch)
    get a fix in GPSFix
    it'll switch to unknown and toss you the error that location services is off
    exit gpsfix (not sure if this is needed yet)
    wait about 10-30 seconds (instant may work have not tried yet)
    turn on gps services
    go into gpsfix
    get a fix if you are outside (or even in a moving car) it should get you a high or even very high fix
    if others are willing to try this maybe my 4/4 will turn to a much higher number
    Interesting...I've been having the same problem!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Interesting...I've been having the same problem!
    You're having what same problem, it does not do any good to say that without a quote :-/
    The same issue you were talking about in your previous post: GPSFix is registering at least a Good accuracy but your GPS apps (like GPS Dashboard Plus, in my case) can't seem to find a lock (keeps spinning at the splash screen) or Google Maps still shows my previous location.
    The same issue you were talking about in your previous post: GPSFix is registering at least a Good accuracy but your GPS apps (like GPS Dashboard Plus, in my case) can't seem to find a lock (keeps spinning at the splash screen) or Google Maps still shows my previous location.
    Amen to that. As I mentioned in a previous post. Even when GPS fix reports an accurate fix Google maps shows me at home about 30 miles away when I am at work. I did try a battery pull it worked (GPSFix gets a fix, google map puts me in the right place.) but the effects don't seem to last beyond 0.5 hours at most. Too bad because I think the author of this app is investing a lot of time into it and if it works I'd gladly pay good bucks for it if/when goes commercial in the App catalog. but right now it is not working for me. That said I'll continue to download any updates so that I may provide any debugging input that may make the product work.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psmith View Post
    Amen to that. As I mentioned in a previous post. Even when GPS fix reports an accurate fix Google maps shows me at home about 30 miles away when I am at work. I did try a battery pull it worked (GPSFix gets a fix, google map puts me in the right place.) but the effects don't seem to last beyond 0.5 hours at most. Too bad because I think the author of this app is investing a lot of time into it and if it works I'd gladly pay good bucks for it if/when goes commercial in the App catalog. but right now it is not working for me. That said I'll continue to download any updates so that I may provide any debugging input that may make the product work.
    I have the same issue quite often now, however a battery pull does nothing for me but make my location completely unavailable in gmaps. Went on a road trip yesterday and was able to finally get a gps lock about half way to my destination and it stayed strong until I got home last night. it seems as though my new device just takes A LOT of effort and waiting to get it to actually kick in and get a fix. I'm thinking another replacement might be in my future...
    I think I have some answers now, but need to confirm some things. Will let everyone know. Sorry for the delays, been a bit busy and some other things going on. You will all see soon enough.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by psmith View Post
    Interesting. GPS Fix reports an accurate location, but Google Maps is way off?

Try loading GPS Fix up. Then load Google Maps. Let Google get it's fix. Then swap over to GPS Fix and tap on the "Get Fix" button. Swap back over to Google Maps and watch it. Does it jump to where it should be after a few minutes?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

I find that I need to run the patch a couple times right after I walk outside. That's the same even when I'm reading a "Good" or better accuracy according to the app.
    ...not sure it's breaking news but I read that vzw's gps system is locked down through API security...only "authorized apps" get access....why does vz nav not work for me sometimes...just like gmaps, gpsfix etc..
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...not sure it's breaking news but I read that vzw's gps system is locked down through API security...only "authorized apps" get access....why does vz nav not work for me sometimes...just like gmaps, gpsfix etc..
    This is correct. Sad, but true.

The odd part is that I am hearing more and more of even VZ Navigator (with subscription) failing. My first instinct is a battery pull. If that does not resolve it, then I want to hear from you.
    - James Harris

Author of:

I find that I need to run the patch a couple times right after I walk outside. That's the same even when I'm reading a "Good" or better accuracy according to the app.
    Run the patch for what exactly? A more detailed account would be helpful.
    - James Harris

Author of:

This is correct. Sad, but true.

The odd part is that I am hearing more and more of even VZ Navigator (with subscription) failing. My first instinct is a battery pull. If that does not resolve it, then I want to hear from you.
    when I had it for a couple weeks back in june even vznav would fail to wake the gps chip...only I don't remember if I restarted luna or phone or full shutdown with battery pull....just a luna restart works now...sometimes even twice!
    Run the patch for what exactly? A more detailed account would be helpful.
    What I end up doing is opening GPSFix when I walk outside. Sometimes the last accuracy reading will be High, other times Good, and others Low to Very Low. If I were to start up a GPS app like Google Maps or GPSDashboard, I would find that it either can't find me or that accuracy is way off. If I run the VZN patch from GPSFix twice after I walk outside, this is more or less negated.

The problem is that running VZN twice when I went outside was exactly what I was having to do previously (before I installed GPSF).
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    when I had it for a couple weeks back in june even vznav would fail to wake the gps chip...only I don't remember if I restarted luna or phone or full shutdown with battery pull....just a luna restart works now...sometimes even twice!
    Yeah, that is common. It's an issue that affects devices on all carriers, even Verizon with their quirkiness. A full restart/battery pull is required. Nothing I can to do automate that I am afraid.
    - James Harris

Author of:

What I end up doing is opening GPSFix when I walk outside. Sometimes the last accuracy reading will be High, other times Good, and others Low to Very Low. If I were to start up a GPS app like Google Maps or GPSDashboard, I would find that it either can't find me or that accuracy is way off. If I run the VZN patch from GPSFix twice after I walk outside, this is more or less negated.

The problem is that running VZN twice when I went outside was exactly what I was having to do previously (before I installed GPSF).
    Try this again, but wait like 3-4 minutes for maps to get a fix. Do not run the patch until after this time period. See if it is persistent. If the patch is again required, try a battery pull then see if you can replicate.

Just out of curiosity, but do you let the patched launch run completely or do you close it as soon as it is launched?
    - James Harris

Author of:

I let it run until it closes itself. For some reason, even letting it run completely once by itself doesn't work.
    I let it run until it closes itself. For some reason, even letting it run completely once by itself doesn't work.
    Wifi on or off?
    - James Harris

Author of:

Wifi off.