Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    will try this... thanks

EDIT: it works! my smartrunner app got a lock even while i am inside a building!
    Last edited by johnj2803; 07/19/2010 at 04:11 PM.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    It just popped up in the beta feed (and installed).

The first thing I notice is that hitting the "navigator" button reports that Verizon Navigator is not installed. (it is: this is a verizon palm pre+ running 1.4.1.1)
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    It just popped up in the beta feed (and installed).

The first thing I notice is that hitting the "navigator" button reports that Verizon Navigator is not installed. (it is: this is a verizon palm pre+ running 1.4.1.1)
    Yeah, I needed the app ID in v0.0.3.

Go into the shopping bag and look for an update to 0.4, it's working properly in that version along with the final pieces. Just need a slight update is all
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Yeah, I needed the app ID in v0.0.3.

Go into the shopping bag and look for an update to 0.4, it's working properly in that version along with the final pieces. Just need a slight update is all
    ah yes! so odd that app catalog went from saying "not a webOS app" to allowing me to install, to having the update in the space of 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    EDIT: it works! my smartrunner app got a lock even while i am inside a building!
    It does work

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur
    ah yes! so odd that app catalog went from saying "not a webOS app" to allowing me to install, to having the update in the space of 15 minutes.
    Their system has been fritzy all day. It will normalize itself out.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

I can confirm this works flawless for me.
    (Except for the Navigator button not working, awaiting update from Palm.)

Worked on Google Maps, Trapster, SimpleGPS and gpsDashboard Free.
    Tested earlier in the day, closed all programs, tried again later in the day at a different location. No Problems. Almost instant GPS lock.

Many thanks spdsktr

EDIT: FYI, I set it for 10 minute intervals. I didn't notice any great battery loss compared to normal GPS battery loss. Will change interval later and see if it changes anything.
    hey there, I just took a ride underground - there was a gps lock at 4.32 - before I went under, but 30 minutes later no lock. I'm wondering if a 30 minute duration is too long for my phone or if perhaps the gps goes to sleep after a certain time w/o signal.

also, the get gps button doesn't update the timestamp
    discombobulate,

The issues you mention have been fixed in the 0.0.4 update. Use the shopping bag in the app catalog to get it.

swinokur,

I fixed the updating stuff on manual fix button. On your 30 min underground -- what frequency did you have it set at? If you go into a situation like this, I can see it timing out as it simply is not possible to get a lock at all in those conditions.

v0.0.5 is available through the shopping bag in the App Catalog. It should resolve *all* issues and be much more complete. Also has new code to see if location services are off and if so, alert you to activate them. Just covering all the bases here
    Last edited by spdsktr; 07/19/2010 at 07:40 PM.
    - James Harris

Author of:

so far so good...have a road trip tomorrow and will hopefully be able to use trapster.
    I wish we can all agree what interval is the most optimized/best
    I'm currently at 15 mins with no issue. About to move up to 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I wish we can all agree what interval is the most optimized/best
    That's kind of what this whole exercise is about! It's balancing the need for GPS with the loss of battery during the day. Mix in the 'unspecified' timeout period of the VZ Navigator connection, and it's all up for interpretation.

Hope that clears this right up
    - James Harris

Author of:

I think the testing of intervals is best done the whole day, just to get variables straightened.
  14.    #34  
    Went to 30; lost fix in Minimap and Navit. Stepping back down to 20. {Jonathan}
    yeah. I was more concerned about the unknown time-out setting for the GPS instead of the battery usage.
    Once I figure out what that is, I'll be pretty happy to set it to ping just below that.
    Just so I am clear, are people now getting a GPS fix without having subscribed to VZ Navigator? That would be awesome. As soon as .5 is in the feeds I will try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Just so I am clear, are people now getting a GPS fix without having subscribed to VZ Navigator? That would be awesome. As soon as .5 is in the feeds I will try it out.
    Correct, no subscription necessary. But you still have to load it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor
    Went to 30; lost fix in Minimap and Navit. Stepping back down to 20. {Jonathan}
    Sounds like a 30 min timeout. I will add a 25 min interval to the options and publish an update tonight.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Thank you, thank you, thank you (even for thinking of the concept)!!

My anecdotal experience has been if the screen turns off, the GPS is lost fairly soon after. I will be happily surprised if i can go longer than 5 minute intervals for the pinging.
    I did have a few questions on how this works:
    -once enabled, all you have to do is launch VZW navigator to start the pinging? You don't have to fire up GPS fix specifically any more?
    -what if you close VZW navigator, does it continue pinging
    -what if you turn off GPS?
    -what process name does this show up in JSTOP, or does is just look like VZW navigator?

I'd like to turn this on in Mode Switcher just for modes where I want GPS to be active (then turn off)...

Thanks!!
    1.) Launch this app
    2.) Open VZ Navigator. Then close it.
    3.) Enable this app. Then close it

Now, go on your merry way. Think of it as siphoning. You start the process (with VZ Navigator), then the app acts like gravity/momentum and keeps it going. If you use mode switcher, then you have to start VZ Nav each time this mode is activated. The two apps are entirely seperate and distinct, there is actually no communication between them of any kind (although that will change).

The app will show as com.jamesharris.gpsfix.

If you shut off GPS, then getting a fix is impossible. That defeats the whole purpose of this app. You will have to restart the process each time you re-activate it. If I can sub-launch VZ Nav, then I can bypass this step for you. Would also allow me to "reactivate" VZ Nav on a regular basis as well. Still looking into it.

I can tell the help on this app is going to need extensive work, even for the 24 Beta downloaders
    - James Harris

Author of:

James will these help the Sprint Pre's at all?
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast