Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I must say this is a great community!!! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and for the support you provide. Awesome! Bryan, thanks for having similar issues, thought I had gone completely nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    I must say this is a great community!!! Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and for the support you provide. Awesome! Bryan, thanks for having similar issues, thought I had gone completely nuts.
    You know what's funny? I left work and, not a quarter mile down the road, all of a sudden I'm getting better accuracy! Go figure.
    Last edited by BryanEW710; 08/09/2010 at 09:57 PM.
    I don't know if it's possible to work around when you return, but your app is detecting a hidden VZNav as a non-VZNav. I installed the "Hide VZNav" patch, and trying to launch via the patch shows "VZ Navigator is not installed". Maybe there's some way to reconcile these two things?
    Ok, I have an odd issue, only affecting specific areas, most notably my house. It is always off by about 1/5 of a mile, but the odd thing is that it is ALWAYS off by the same amount and direction, every time. Randomly, it'll occasionally show my ACTUAL position with great accuracy
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    You know what's funny? I left work and, not a quarter mile down the road, all of a sudden I'm getting better accuracy! Go figure.
    Environment plays a funny role in these things.

Quote Originally Posted by bill.allrobots.org View Post
    I don't know if it's possible to work around when you return, but your app is detecting a hidden VZNav as a non-VZNav. I installed the "Hide VZNav" patch, and trying to launch via the patch shows "VZ Navigator is not installed". Maybe there's some way to reconcile these two things?
    That patch simply sets the visible status to false. That *should not* affect the behavior of the app itself, so idk. I'm afraid you will just need to remove that patch unfortunately to get the best results from this app/patch. Stick it at the bottom of the last launcher page?

Quote Originally Posted by KarateF22 View Post
    Ok, I have an odd issue, only affecting specific areas, most notably my house. It is always off by about 1/5 of a mile, but the odd thing is that it is ALWAYS off by the same amount and direction, every time. Randomly, it'll occasionally show my ACTUAL position with great accuracy
    That is odd. Afraid that is a bit out of my league. Maybe Ebag33 can comment (he's the GPS expert). All I can say is to make sure Google Services is disabled.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    That patch simply sets the visible status to false. That *should not* affect the behavior of the app itself, so idk. I'm afraid you will just need to remove that patch unfortunately to get the best results from this app/patch. Stick it at the bottom of the last launcher page?
    Cool with me. Just wanted to bring it up in case it was an easy fix, since a new version's on its way soon anyhow.

Thanks for all the work you've already put into this thing.
  7. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I (think) I've noticed what causes the top bar to be missing. It always happens to me after my drive to work, when my Pre is laying on it's side in my car door handle. Could it be the Pre attempting to put the patch-VZnav image into landscape mode (even though the screen never comes on)? Not sure if there is a way to "lock" the patch screen into portrait mode, but that's my best guess so far as to the cause of the top bar issue.
    I thought the VZN splash screen didn't run in landscape, though.
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...yep...does not keep GPS awake...thats what this app does well...
    It's not supposed to replace this app or do what this app does. It does not keep GPS awake, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. But as to that one particular comment regarding accuracy, IMHO it makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by KarateF22 View Post
    Environment plays a funny role in these things.

That is odd. Afraid that is a bit out of my league. Maybe Ebag33 can comment (he's the GPS expert). All I can say is to make sure Google Services is disabled.
    I'm an expert...hah!

Sounds like a reflected GPS signal. Lots of things can reflect it, large building (high rise), cliff face, etc. Basically enough GPS signals are being bounced around that your device believes it's in a different location than it really is. Basically the signal takes a few extra miliseconds to reach you, which given the speed it's traveling at can put you miles away. And since the same signal keeps bouncing off the same path, you get the same position fix.

There's lots of good articles that explain GPS errors. Here's just one of many:
    Sources of GPS Error

I would love to try this myself, but I need stock devices to test on. I would also love to incorporate the instructions into the app. But, I fear the continual issue of people not reading will do more harm than good. Let those who read/find it in this thread follow their hearts.
    I agree entirely. I had my concerns with the hack when I first posted it. So far, I haven't had anyone actually brick their device. Though I did manage to kill my speaker phone playing around with QPST.....doh!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I (think) I've noticed what causes the top bar to be missing. It always happens to me after my drive to work, when my Pre is laying on it's side in my car door handle. Could it be the Pre attempting to put the patch-VZnav image into landscape mode (even though the screen never comes on)? Not sure if there is a way to "lock" the patch screen into portrait mode, but that's my best guess so far as to the cause of the top bar issue.
    No, VZ Nav does not run in landscape in the parts that are exposed. None of the orientation get's touched. Afraid we must look deeper!

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    It's not supposed to replace this app or do what this app does. It does not keep GPS awake, though it certainly wouldn't hurt. But as to that one particular comment regarding accuracy, IMHO it makes a huge difference.
    Have not tried them, but correct. QPST will handle some accuracy, and GPS Fix works to keep things awake. A match made in heaven?

I'm an expert...hah!
    Much more than me sir. I'm just a lil ole web developer who also happens to be a really great problem solver with excellent debugging skills. I can also try a million things and see how the results turn out. I molded this app strictly off of observation, and good ole fashion trial and error. I understand GPS and many things surrounding it, but that does not mean I can pretend to know the inner workings of it (like QPST).
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Is it true that the GPS only tracks 3 satelites? I found this when using an older program called Pretracker 0.5. That could be causing a lot of the accuracy issues. I was using a bluetooth GPS with my Centro to run TomTom and Flightmaster, and it was tracking up to 13 satelites. Maybe 3 was the limit for Pretracker, but if it is only 3, that will be pretty weak. I have just uninstalled BFG Maps, and Chartographer, to see if it is any better just using Google Maps. As recommended, Google services is off.
    I am also not using the v2 of GPS fix patch. Just seemed to work better before without it. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the great information.
    My first post has been updated to give more information on this topic. Please be sure to give it a read.

3 reference points is a minimum. 13 is better. Basically, the more points it can reference, the more accurate the location will be. This is why GPS varies based on location and environment. If a mountain or other tall structure blocks some, you lose. If a bad thunderstorm is rolling around, it will cause problems. If you step inside, those signals do not penetrate everything, and again you lose accuracy.

Apps on your device are not causing issues related to GPS. We do not have that kind of control over things... v2 of the patch also does not improve accuracy. Going outside improves accuracy. Getting away from objects that block signals improves accuracy.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Just an update.

Verizon 1.4.1.1 Pre + user.

using GPS Fix v. 1.0.0 with patch
    *Google location services off.

The last few days I have been consistently getting strong GPS signal. It takes my phone 30 seconds to 1 minute to find signal after I leave the subway (manhattan). But other than that, it is very rapid. Thank you. for the first time I have been getting use of my SmartRunner app. The signal has been fairly accurate. Sometimes off by about 50 yards but usually right on target.

Now if only there was an ***** proof way of enabling Ebagg's alternate GPS modes (sorry, terrified and intimidated by the whole QPST etc...).

Thanks again for all the hard work. I now consider my Verizon GPS "Fixed"
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Now if only there was an ***** proof way of enabling Ebagg's alternate GPS modes (sorry, terrified and intimidated by the whole QPST etc...).
    It's really much less scary than it seems. Just follow directions carefully, and you'll be fine.
    It's really much less scary than it seems. Just follow directions carefully, and you'll be fine.
    Just like those big warning labels on tanning beds. This may cause cancer, but really, you'll be fine!
    - James Harris

Author of:

My gps has been working perfect since I've updated this app with the vz patch.

I keep both GPS & Google services on and it always finds me within 20 secs and at least a 10 meter accuracy.

Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    The last few days I have been consistently getting strong GPS signal. It takes my phone 30 seconds to 1 minute to find signal after I leave the subway (manhattan). But other than that, it is very rapid.Thanks again for all the hard work. I now consider my Verizon GPS "Fixed"

Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    My gps has been working perfect since I've updated this app with the vz patch.
    Awesome! Please be sure to leave a review in the app catalog.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Here is an update. I deleted BFG Maps and Chartographer. Immediately, Google Maps was almost dead on my position with no jumping around. I still have the v2 VZ patch disabled although its still installed, still have aGPS patch installed. Even played with Google Services. Found if I have it on, Google Maps launches much faster, but as you have said first goes to a tower location, but shortly after, gave me a very accurate position. If it's off, it takes Google Maps longer to launch and shows a good position pretty quickly after. Not sure why, but seems a little better.

Is there a program that shows satelite reception and strength. Be neat to know how many it receives. A plane I flew only received 7 and because of it couldn't be used for precision VNAV. So thank you for helping me learn more about how the Pre works and for the great work to make it work better for us Verizon users.
    As of this moment, I am officially on vacation. I'll check in periodically, but do behave yourselves
    - James Harris

Author of: