Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    Oh, so manually launching VZ Navigator from within GPS Fix or from Launcher, will still launch regular version. Patched version is ONLY when GPS Fix launches it, itself, when it feels it is needed?
    Correct. I left VZ Navigator intact so it could still function normally. It's just the 'extra' parameters that let me launch/close it automatically. People do still use it, and they would have had my head for cutting off that revenue stream.

Hit P on your keyboard.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Ok, I fixed the "alert" bug. I moved a few things around. Hiding a few sections on first load (so you know where the reading material is). I added an email option for support. Hitting the VZ Navigator button will load patched version (since I can see this being a bit confusing). I moved the News up top (and I can make it bold red now for critical news!). I made some minor changes to hopefully big effect. The downloads are hot, but the forum is not popping like I thought it might. Proves that the solution to FMR is not the community.

Anyways, the updated version is attached in case you do not want to wait for the app catalog and you know how.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

What's FMR?
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ok, I fixed the "alert" bug. I moved a few things around. Hiding a few sections on first load (so you know where the reading material is). I added an email option for support. Hitting the VZ Navigator button will load patched version (since I can see this being a bit confusing). I moved the News up top (and I can make it bold red now for critical news!). I made some minor changes to hopefully big effect. The downloads are hot, but the forum is not popping like I thought it might. Proves that the solution to FMR is not the community.

Anyways, the updated version is attached in case you do not want to wait for the app catalog and you know how.
    Well With the FAQs and explanation within the app plus the forum and install via APP catalog... explains why the thread isn't booming... good thing :-). However are you sure you want email link in support section... I think support pointing to this thread would be better fit because with email options people might ignore the thread all together and hassle you where as here the community can at least help and users might already find answers to their issue.

(keep in mind I have not yet installed the newer version) But if you want to keep email support button maybe pop up with something saying did you read the precentral forum thread yet. For best support check out the thread.

Or if you get emails that answers can be found in the app just shoot them a reply to look where necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    What's FMR?
    Free Music Ringtones... It was on its way to #1 hot app by spdsktr. He pulled it because people were being lame. Here is an example <=== Discuss it at this thread.

Not to mention the ungrateful ones the mods had to jump on this thread and fix it up!
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...p-catalog.html
    Check this link out for details: http://jeharrisonline.com/palm/fmr.asp
    Last edited by jack87; 08/05/2010 at 04:37 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Didn't realize you were the Free Music Ringtones guy too. Great app also. Was wondering what happened with that.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Someone fill me in: what happened to FMR? I still have it on my phone...
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
    Take FMR discussions to their appropriate threads please.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...al-thread.html
    Last edited by spdsktr; 08/05/2010 at 04:48 PM.
    - James Harris

Author of:

:lol: Sorry for opening a can of worms...
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    :lol: Sorry for opening a can of worms...
    No worries. I just want to keep this thread on topic is all. It was wrong of me to make the mention in passing.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I'm a Verizon customer, and I'm getting a little overwhelmed by the wealth of "GPS fix" patches. I'm no longer sure what I should be running to make my GPS experience as good as it can be. Currently I have installed:

Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS (I barely understand what this does)
    GPS in Device Menu (so I can turn it on and off manually)

Now there's GPS Fix, and GPS Fix for VZ Navigator, and there's also Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps... I can't imagine there would be a benefit to having ALL of these installed. Can someone boil it down and say, "You need this and this and that's it"? I don't care about any advanced functionality, I just want GPS to work when I launch a GPS app.

Ron
    @ron: .....you forgot the QPST mod.... Gps fix seems to be working welll for people...i uninstalled vznav, so gps fix and the associated patch doesn't work for me...i also use gps wrestler, it along with QPST seems to work well enough for me...for now...i'm DR'ing my pre+ soon and will then have vz nav again....at that point i'll give gps fix a full run with the patch and app
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
    I'm a Verizon customer, and I'm getting a little overwhelmed by the wealth of "GPS fix" patches. I'm no longer sure what I should be running to make my GPS experience as good as it can be. Currently I have installed:

Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS (I barely understand what this does)

Now there's GPS Fix, and GPS Fix for VZ Navigator, and there's also Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps... I can't imagine there would be a benefit to having ALL of these installed. Can someone boil it down and say, "You need this and this and that's it"? I don't care about any advanced functionality, I just want GPS to work when I launch a GPS app.

Ron
    Well the trick to this is that some phones appear to be slightly more persnickety when it comes to GPS. On my Verizon Palm Pre Plus, I never had much luck with the aGPS patch so I uninstalled any patches related to GPS (not including some homebrew apps that simply use GPS). I then installed GPS Fix and set it to run every 20 mins and installed the GPS Fix for VZ Navigator and set GPS Fix to use the patch. Finally, I went into location services and turned off Google Services under Locate Me Using... in the preferences menu. I am able to get a GPS fix fast enough now, that I no longer need the Google swag as to where I am.

I haven't entirely determined if I needed the GPS Fix for VZ Navigator patch in addition to the base GPS Fix since mine was working fairly well on just GPS Fix, but my understanding is if you are someplace without a GPS signal like a concrete building for an extended time period, the patch is better at restarting GPS once you come back out into the light.

That's what worked for me. I'm sure others will weigh in. I will say that after 2+ years of a VZ Blackberry Curve and ~6 months on the PPP, this is the first time I can consistently use GPS with no issues. Kudos to James for tackling this when neither Palm nor Verizon seemed to have any interest.
    Rgds/Mark M.

Ron
    Ron,

It can be overwhelming. I am fairly confident that all you need is the GPS Fix app, and the patch GPS Fix for VZ Navigator. The aGPS Patch by ebag33 cannot hurt as it modifies other things, but is not necessary with this full solution.

The rest of the patches are for other functionality. The Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps is designed to turn GPS on when you load Google Maps, and then turn it off entirely when you close them.

If you are on Verizon, then the patch is highly recommended. Without it, you will have to manually kickstart GPS with a VZ Navigator launch. With it, you should never have to worry.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Ron

Ron,

i have tried them and this app and patch is all i have now and my gps is working well
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    been using the patch and v1.0.0 since the day it came out and can easily say that this is the best thing to happen to my vzw pre+ since I got it 2 months ago and was disappointed to find that the gps was greatly crippled. I have had a great experience since v0.2.0 and even better since the vzwnav patch was released.

However, I noticed a slightly annoying bug with the patch tonight while I had my pre plugged into my computer and not on my touchstone. I noticed the screen turn on when the patch executed and it closed itself as expected, but when I turned the screen on to use my phone, the top bar and notification bar were still not present, as if the patch put it into full screen mode and it just stayed there. the quicklaunch bar was still there, and an upswipe opened the launcher, but I couldn't get the notif bar or top bar to show up without opening another app. Only noticed this once but will monitor it a little more closely later.

Thanks so much for all of the work on this. Hopefully one day it won't be needed :\
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooj View Post
    been using the patch and v1.0.0 since the day it came out and can easily say that this is the best thing to happen to my vzw pre+ since I got it 2 months ago and was disappointed to find that the gps was greatly crippled. I have had a great experience since v0.2.0 and even better since the vzwnav patch was released.

However, I noticed a slightly annoying bug with the patch tonight while I had my pre plugged into my computer and not on my touchstone. I noticed the screen turn on when the patch executed and it closed itself as expected, but when I turned the screen on to use my phone, the top bar and notification bar were still not present, as if the patch put it into full screen mode and it just stayed there. the quicklaunch bar was still there, and an upswipe opened the launcher, but I couldn't get the notif bar or top bar to show up without opening another app. Only noticed this once but will monitor it a little more closely later.

Thanks so much for all of the work on this. Hopefully one day it won't be needed :\
    are you also running advanced configuration in launcher (acl)? Because that has been happening to me too, but only since I installed acl. I think there might be a bit of a conflict betwwen them, and I think it has to do with vzn running full screen because while the top bar is gone so are any notifications and if you get a new notification it has square corners (like while running a full screen app).
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I have the top bar vanishing issue as well. Opening an app restores it. I do not have the ACL patch installed, nor have I ever installed it. I do have advanced options in launcher, hide quick launch bar in launcher remix, add date mm/dd, and 5x4 icons V2. These are the only patches I can think of that might affect top bar, other than vz nav patch. However, I have had these installed for months, and have only recently experienced the top bar issue.
    I'm working on v2 of the patch. It will disable the fullscreen nature of the app in patch mode. Will also have functions so I can confirm the patch is installed, and some other tools. My initial thought was to minimal, but now I think all out might be ok Testing now.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srkDesign View Post
    are you also running advanced configuration in launcher (acl)? Because that has been happening to me too, but only since I installed acl. I think there might be a bit of a conflict betwwen them, and I think it has to do with vzn running full screen because while the top bar is gone so are any notifications and if you get a new notification it has square corners (like while running a full screen app).

I was using the advanced launcher patch at the time but noticed my phone really slowing down and not registering taps and drags correctly shortly after installing. Just removed that patch since I never really sed it and seems to have fixed those problems. Wel'll see about the vznav one

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I'm working on v2 of the patch. It will disable the fullscreen nature of the app in patch mode. Will also have functions so I can confirm the patch is installed, and some other tools. My initial thought was to minimal, but now I think all out might be ok Testing now.
    great to hear. Thanks again for all of the hard work you have put in to helpig fix this problem!
    Last edited by Skooj; 08/07/2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: quoted wrong post. Oops!
    v2 of the patch is now uploaded to the second post of this thread. I will submit to Preware later. It still fullscreens, but I turn around and tell it to stop immediately (it was easier). It also updates the message and opens a method for apps to check if the patch is installed or not. I expect this to expand some more and I'm helping app dev's out here.

Uninstall any version you have before installing this version.

I'm working on some new code. Today at the mall, I was able to get a fix using the getCurrentPosition option, but tracking was still stuck at not returning results. I will test further and confirm, but looks like I need to add a new 'wait' option to run. Will finish up tomorrow as soon as I confirm how long of a wait is needed.

The patch has a new watcher too. I realized last night that if the phone is in airplane mode, VZ Nav will override itself and show the "Airplane Mode is on" message. The patched loader now adds the option to auto close VZ Navigator. Handy for when GPS Fix loads it thinking other things are going on.
    - James Harris

Author of: