Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    The nasty habit is requiring VZ Nav for EVERY gps call. Literally, everytime. You can load any GPS app, unlock the GPS with VZ Nav. It will be allowed as long as that app is running. If you close that app (or stop GPS in anyway), VZ Navigator is required to unlock it again. There is no ~20 minute window for these devices..

you mean like if i open up google maps and it puts me at a location i was at 15 mins ago from the last time it pinged, instead of where i am now? i have had this happen - but not consistently.

The VZ Nav screen is by design. Since you use the patch, it's actually EASIER to load VZ Nav and ensure GPS is unlocked that all the other techniques I use. It only does this when the screen is off, but it takes 30 seconds for it to work it's magic, thus, you see it from time to time.

There is logic to do this in many cases. It'll load when GPS is unresponsive. It will load every couple of hours. Being inside a building will cause a delayed GPS Fix, so it can revert to this as a "guarantee it" kind of technique. With apps like Mode Switcher turning things on and off, it has many different scenarios as to when it will run. For VZ Users, I rely on it quite heavily actually. No worries, it's as efficient as it possibly can be. You can even close it if you like..

got it.. so if it's detecting no signal or a weak signal it will automatically launch that pop up app (which is essentially VZ Nav) but if the signal is ok it won't bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonie luv View Post
    you mean like if i open up google maps and it puts me at a location i was at 15 mins ago from the last time it pinged, instead of where i am now? i have had this happen - but not consistently.
    Yes. Open Maps, unlock with VZ Nav, maps works, you close maps. Open maps again (even moments later), and you have to use VZ Nav again. The app will be "unlocked", but only until it stops tracking. Then the lock happens again. Run the

got it.. so if it's detecting no signal or a weak signal it will automatically launch that pop up app (which is essentially VZ Nav) but if the signal is ok it won't bother?
    Something like that.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    so I downloaded both gps fix 0.8, and the vze navigator patch from preware, and it worked like a charm!

I read through the entire thread however and don't understand if both gps fix and the vzw nav patch are BOTH needed? I am big into preware but a few of my coworkers are not, so they woulnt patch. Can I just have them download gps fix only from the beta feed or app catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    so I downloaded both gps fix 0.8, and the vze navigator patch from preware, and it worked like a charm!

I read through the entire thread however and don't understand if both gps fix and the vzw nav patch are BOTH needed? I am big into preware but a few of my coworkers are not, so they woulnt patch. Can I just have them download gps fix only from the beta feed or app catalog?
    Required? No. Recommended? Highly. Of course, this is for verizon only. Without the patch, you are tying one hand behind my back. The app has a step by step walk through of getting it, if they can follow directions, they can do it without any help.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

so how will they patch when you release gps fix into the app catalog?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    so how will they patch when you release gps fix into the app catalog?
    The same way you do now. The app is app catalog compatible. The patch is not. The app has instructions for how to get the patch. It's really no different than how we do it now...
    - James Harris

Author of:

FYI -- GPS Fix has been approved for an Official App Catalog near you. Tomorrow is gonna be a busy day, I better get to bed early.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Version 0.8 of the app is are rock solid. I'm running the patch of course and I'm set to update every 20 minutes (well, I'm usually at 10 or 15 but the battery life drain was getting on my nerves). There is one bug though: its been happening for a while and even in 0.8 its still here. The app keeps forgetting I don't want notifications. I've tapped the switch and its set to "off," but soon I get notifications anyway. Can't figure out why its doing this. I've tried reinstalling the app and the issue presists. Any suggestions? I can't doctor because I'm not able to activate my phone seeing as I don't have service now that I'm on vacation in the middle of nowhere and I'm about 10 minutes from even the faintest verizon signal. roughly 30 minutes from regular humans. Am I the only one with this problem? Thanks again for making this app- its a lifesaver

ps- I was looking around the app and took a look at the patching documentation (I'm already well versed in homebrew but I felt like looking at the app's documentation) and I found a typo: on step 2 of stage 1 (enable dev mode) you say the user should type "webos2009006" but the screenshot shows "webos0090606" and the actual javascript code in the launcher says "webos20090606" as well AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $You$ $could$ $just$ $go$ $with$ $the$ $konami$ $code$ $though$

Sorrry for any typos I've made in this post (oh the irony) but I'm writing the whole thing on my pre and it's 10 to 4 in the morning. Time for sleep
    Last edited by Seb_or_Sam; 08/05/2010 at 02:50 AM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    hmmm. Hit 'V' on your keyboard. What does it say for 'updatebackgroundalert'? Should be false.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I have the same problem with the notifications. I will set "Alert on Update" to No, but everytime I reopen GPS Fix it is set to Yes. Not a big deal, but thought you should know.

Otherwise, has worked great. I have Verizon and have not loaded the patch. Never felt like I needed it.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I just tested it again. When I pressed "V" , UpdateBackgroundAlert was set to False. I then closed GPS Fix and reopened it and Alert on Update was set to Yes. Am running version .8.0.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I installed the patch for VZ Navigator, "GPS Fix for VZ Navigator". When it opens from GPS Fix, VZ Navigator opens, blurb at bottom says subscription not required, but VZ Navigator is the same as always, has Buy or Decline buttons at bottom.

Wasn't this patch supposed to be me a different screen that automatically closes after 20 seconds or so?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    I have the same problem with the notifications. I will set "Alert on Update" to No, but everytime I reopen GPS Fix it is set to Yes. Not a big deal, but thought you should know.

Otherwise, has worked great. I have Verizon and have not loaded the patch. Never felt like I needed it.
    I'm getting this issue too. Running 1.4.1.1 on a VZW pre+. My other issue is I think I have one of those pesky devices that requires vz nav to be open always but I'm not quite sure. Either way thanks for all your work on this.
    m100 -> m125 -> zire 71 -> Treo 650 (VZW) -> Pre Plus (VZW) + TouchPad
    Yes. Open Maps, unlock with VZ Nav, maps works, you close maps. Open maps again (even moments later), and you have to use VZ Nav again. The app will be "unlocked", but only until it stops tracking. Then the lock happens again. Run the
    i see... unfortunately i have one of those devices :/. is there a way you can actually fix that?

i know you're always looking for feedback as to what we see, so here's my (very non-technical) experience with this issue. when i'm at my home on long island (open air, few tall buildings) i have great success with this. it will keep my location updated any time of the day when i open up google maps or another gps program such as golf pin finder.

during the when i'm at work in the city i can't get a fix even outside, probably because of the tall buildings. if i do get a fix it won't update. when i get home it sometimes stays in my previous location in the city and refuses to update w/out a battery pull.

btw your app is now in the catalog, congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    I got so wrapped up in the patch and it's details, I over looked this. It will save properly and NOT show notices if set to no, but the value resets when the app is loaded. Fixing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    I installed the patch for VZ Navigator, "GPS Fix for VZ Navigator". When it opens from GPS Fix, VZ Navigator opens, blurb at bottom says subscription not required, but VZ Navigator is the same as always, has Buy or Decline buttons at bottom.

Wasn't this patch supposed to be me a different screen that automatically closes after 20 seconds or so?
    Set the "Use Patch" option to "Yes". If you do not tell it to use the patched version, then it assumes it is not installed. It then defaults to the original VZ Navigator method.

i see... unfortunately i have one of those devices :/. is there a way you can actually fix that?

i know you're always looking for feedback as to what we see, so here's my (very non-technical) experience with this issue. when i'm at my home on long island (open air, few tall buildings) i have great success with this. it will keep my location updated any time of the day when i open up google maps or another gps program such as golf pin finder.

during the when i'm at work in the city i can't get a fix even outside, probably because of the tall buildings. if i do get a fix it won't update. when i get home it sometimes stays in my previous location in the city and refuses to update w/out a battery pull.

btw your app is now in the catalog, congrats!
    This sir, is my next great challenge. These devices have so far evaded every attempt known to man to get working. I might get some gray hair trying, but I will be trying my best. Thanks It is available for all now.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    "Set the "Use Patch" option to "Yes". If you do not tell it to use the patched version, then it assumes it is not installed. It then defaults to the original VZ Navigator method."

It is set to Use Patch.
    "Set the "Use Patch" option to "Yes". If you do not tell it to use the patched version, then it assumes it is not installed. It then defaults to the original VZ Navigator method."

It is set to Use Patch.
    Then you are all set and ready to go.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    wellllllllll, except that it was already set to 'On' when I had the issue with VZ Navigator. I rebooted my device even and it still is that way. Before rebooting, I removed GPS Fix and the patch. Restarted and reinstalled. Problem still there. Rebooted, problem still there...
    wellllllllll, except that it was already set to 'On' when I had the issue with VZ Navigator. I rebooted my device even and it still is that way. Before rebooting, I removed GPS Fix and the patch. Restarted and reinstalled. Problem still there. Rebooted, problem still there...
    What exactly are you trying to do? The "VZ Navigator" button in the app does not load the patched version. It's simply there for convenience to get to VZ Navigator. Maybe I should change that now...

But the app will determine when VZ Navigator is needed. The 'tell' that it's needed is very clear and when needed, it will launch the patched version when using the Get Fix or in auto background mode.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Oh, so manually launching VZ Navigator from within GPS Fix or from Launcher, will still launch regular version. Patched version is ONLY when GPS Fix launches it, itself, when it feels it is needed?