Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Ok, looking at the feeds, the patch file is blank (literally). I submitted the patch file again and hopefully they can figure it out. I was notified that the initial delay was two fold: breaking out the VZ doctor and then gitorious was experiencing issues. That explains why

A.) There was no error applying the patch
    B.) Why no code was actually altered
    C.) Why it loaded VZ Nav as normal

Go ahead and uninstall the Preware version if you did install it. I will let everyone know when the proper file is in place and I test it myself. You can still use the one I attached in the initial post with webOS Quick Install. Attaching it again just in case...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    this looks like a solution. How easy is to install this? I gather this is not an app and thus is not in the app catalog. I gather I should download it from somewhere else but I'm not entirely certain how to do this (I know, it's probably ridiculously easy....)

We technically unsophisticated types really appreciate how easy the pre is to use!

Thanks for using your skills to address this problem.

gba
    The patch is of course, not allowed in the app catalog. Preware is our official source for these things, and will be made available in there.

As I said, actual patch file can be manually installed with webOS Quick Install. Not sure what that is? Read the Homebrew guide:

http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

The in-app guide to getting the patch is coming, nearly done with it.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ok, looking at the feeds, the patch file is blank (literally). I submitted the patch file again and hopefully they can figure it out. I was notified that the initial delay was two fold: breaking out the VZ doctor and then gitorious was experiencing issues. That explains why

A.) There was no error applying the patch
    B.) Why no code was actually altered
    C.) Why it loaded VZ Nav as normal

Go ahead and uninstall the Preware version if you did install it. I will let everyone know when the proper file is in place and I test it myself. You can still use the one I attached in the initial post with webOS Quick Install. Attaching it again just in case...
    is this the same patch in your earlier post? Or should I uninstall the old one and install this one instead?
    You can still use the one I attached in the initial post with webOS Quick Install. Attaching it again just in case...
    Same one.
    - James Harris

Author of:

my GPS is working wonky now... I'm being reported in one program as Markey, ID another is showing another city in a differtent state totally.. here is the kicker...

I'm in Phoenix AZ.... not sure if it's me or the program(s)

Edit: Restart of phone fixed it
    Last edited by Major Payne; 08/02/2010 at 10:28 AM.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Rod,

There appears to be a new issue. VZ Navigator patch that I submitted came through in the feeds with a blank (0 bytes) .patch file. I submitted again to provide the proper patch file, but hopefully there is no issue with the underlying system.

Seems that the underlying system doesn't handle patches that modify carrier-specific files unless those carrier specific files have been installed in our patch test area. So when it regenerated the patch files, they came out empty.

I've pushed it through manually, and it should appear when the autobuilder runs next (usually within 30 mins).

-- Rod

That's the word. Patch is now available in Preware and I confirmed -- it installs properly now.

I will push an update tonight with details on the patch for non-homebrewers (they have lots of questions).

Go get your GPS on.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Quote Originally Posted by vegas89134 View Post
    Is there any need to replace the patch downloaded from your feed?
    It is not required -- same patch.

I recommend the Preware version for everyone, but only because this app (along with patch instructions) is going into the official App Catalog soon. There will be a massive wave of people being exposed to homebrew for the first time. I would prefer posts here not reference the "manual" method to avoid confusing them. Also makes updating easier.

Have a feeling I am about to supplant one problem for a different one
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Thanks for the continued work! I'm home from a long weekend with little to no cell service, so just caught up on the thread. looking forward to see how the update and patch work tomorrow Thanks! Clarice
    Just want to thank James,
    I was just away (in Russia) for 9 days. When I occasionally got WiFi connection, I would check for updates (was hoping for Verizon 1.4.5). This app was consistently the only one with updates available. Thanks for all the continued hard work on this problem. Dramatically increases the usefulness of my phone. Once I'm home for a few days, I'll report on my results with the newest version and patch.
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. Without it, the things done in this app would not have been possible.

I just submitted v1.0 to the Official App Catalog (aka no more Beta). It will probably be out in a few days. Please be sure to show it some love.

There is still work to be done. I know some devices have a nasty habit. I will attempt to break that habit next (luckily my test device does this habit). Updates will slow down considerably, but I felt this was good enough for a v1 release to all.

I expect MANY people here in a few days that are brand new to Homebrew. Let's show them some kindness and patience when they get here.

EDIT: I should note that the app is still available in the Beta Catalog. It will be available in the official catalog (through the App Catalog app) in a few days.

http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...sharris.gpsfix
    Last edited by spdsktr; 08/04/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    - James Harris

Author of:

There is still work to be done. I know some devices have a nasty habit. I will attempt to break that habit next (luckily my test device does this habit).
    What's that?
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Hi James. I'm having great success with version .8 and the patch. I installed the patch off Preware yesterday morning, and updated the app mid-day, turned on the patch and rebooted the phone (for a nice fresh start) and turned off Google Services.

I put the phone closer to the window in my cube and got back to work. when I had a chance i checked it - and it had me sitting at my building. I've never gotten my location while at work! Trapster acquired my location almost as soon as it opened after I left work. The phone has been sitting inside all night - i opened Google Maps and it was showing me at home still. This is the best/most accurate it has ever been.

Thanks again for all the work! Another donation will be coming along soon. Too bad we can't get Verizon to fund your work since you're doing their job

Cheers, Clarice
    Question about this patch/program.

If and when vzw ever fixes the problem, will you program in any way interfere with their fix? Will you program have to be uninstalled before updating to webOS 1.xxx?
    I have 0.8 instaled and it ha been a success for me too. Trapster has always been on GPS mode and no cell tower configuration. This is also with google serviices on because I use some apps that rely on it

I have the patch as well.

congratulations!
    My Verizon Pre Plus GPS service had been spotty, at best. I would have trouble getting a GPS lock and then keeping it would require relaunching VZ Navigator and getting a GPS fix via ##477#.

Yesterday, I installed GPSfix v0.8 and the associated patch.

I now have an instant lock on my exact location using BFGMaps, Google Maps, Trapster, YPMobile, and GolfPinFinder. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I even showed my appreciation by donating money via the PayPal donation link on post#2 of this thread.

You have done the Pre Community a great service, especially those of us with Verizon as a provider.
    i have a question about how the new patch functions. when i turn my phone on sometimes there is a window that is up that says it is starting up the gps and will close in 30 seconds. does this window only appear when there is no gps signal (i.e. inside my building in manhattan).

also, on a side note, not only do normal users owe you a great deal, but so do many app developers. for example i just bought golfpinfinder because it now functions properly... id never have bought it if your gps app didn't come along. thank you!
    EDIT: AlbanyHDTV, johnj2803, shrxwin, thank you for the reports. Glad it is working to make your GPS work as you expected it to.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    What's that?
    The nasty habit is requiring VZ Nav for EVERY gps call. Literally, everytime. You can load any GPS app, unlock the GPS with VZ Nav. It will be allowed as long as that app is running. If you close that app (or stop GPS in anyway), VZ Navigator is required to unlock it again. There is no ~20 minute window for these devices.

Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    If and when vzw ever fixes the problem, will you program in any way interfere with their fix? Will you program have to be uninstalled before updating to webOS 1.xxx?
    I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but it should not. The way patches work is they get overridden in OS updates if required, and can then be reapplied.

I have seen 1.4.5 (from my early access dev program) and nothing has changed in it. From what we have heard publicly, the next OS will be later this fall. I'm guessing Sept/Nov. I promise there will be plenty of advanced warning if something major changes.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie luv View Post
    i have a question about how the new patch functions. when i turn my phone on sometimes there is a window that is up that says it is starting up the gps and will close in 30 seconds. does this window only appear when there is no gps signal (i.e. inside my building in manhattan).
    The VZ Nav screen is by design. Since you use the patch, it's actually EASIER to load VZ Nav and ensure GPS is unlocked that all the other techniques I use. It only does this when the screen is off, but it takes 30 seconds for it to work it's magic, thus, you see it from time to time.

There is logic to do this in many cases. It'll load when GPS is unresponsive. It will load every couple of hours. Being inside a building will cause a delayed GPS Fix, so it can revert to this as a "guarantee it" kind of technique. With apps like Mode Switcher turning things on and off, it has many different scenarios as to when it will run. For VZ Users, I rely on it quite heavily actually. No worries, it's as efficient as it possibly can be. You can even close it if you like.

also, on a side note, not only do normal users owe you a great deal, but so do many app developers. for example i just bought golfpinfinder because it now functions properly... id never have bought it if your gps app didn't come along. thank you!
    Awesome, I hope this expands their sales as well as your satisfaction with GPS as a whole. They owe me nothing. But, maybe they will jump on board in spreading the word about this app. I started in Homebrew, and it feels great to keep on supporting my roots. Also kept it App Catalog compatible so it can get the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by spdsktr; 08/04/2010 at 11:04 AM.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Good point. I'd tried and rejected a lot of apps before I realized that it wasn't the apps, but rather the GPS antenna that was the problem.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Good point. I'd tried and rejected a lot of apps before I realized that it wasn't the apps, but rather the GPS antenna that was the problem.
    Ditto - thanks to the community here at PreCentral I knew FitTrack didn't have a problem, Verizon did. It was so nice this morning to actually use it and have my walk start recording at the beginning instead of when I'm already done and back at work