Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 594
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #241  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    I'm not really sure why my posting elicited such a response, I was simply relaying my experiences with the different versions, as I believe others have as well. I guess I thought I was being helpful but somehow was antagonistic?
    I honestly was NOT trying to be antagonistic and apologize for it coming off that way. I find that knowing HOW my users think allows me to better anticipate, answer, and solve these kinds of things.

    Please do not take it as me being mean or rude. It also was not an attempt to get you to read the Help. If you have, then it will skew the answers a bit. I need real world data. Knowing your expectations of the app, knowing if you read the help section, and knowing what you know about GPS will help me solve this for everyone and answer things before they become a question.

    That is why I asked for answers before I answered -- my response would skew those answers.

    If you have seen my work before, then you know I strive for PERFECTION in every regard. Knowing how you think, and me trying to think like you help quite a lot.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  2. #242  
    Just to add a really funky data point to all of this.....

    For starters, for a number of reasons totally unrelated to James and his work, I am not alpha testing the new patch. But, I would be a lousy tester anyways. You see... I spend a better part of two days monkeying with his earlier version, the GPSfix-plugin. The Plugin **broke** my Verizon Pre Plus!!!! But not in a bad way. Last evening, this morning, and this afternoon, even after battery-pull reboots, I was surprised to discover I could get GPS lock using a variety of 3rd party apps (Google Maps, Trip Panel, Trapster, Minimap), all without having to first execute VZnav, GPS-fix, GPS-wrestling, or anything. I am dumbfounded. Now I wonder how long my Pre+ will stay "broken".
  3. #243  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    You see... I spend a better part of two days monkeying with his earlier version, the GPSfix-plugin. The Plugin **broke** my Verizon Pre Plus!!!! But not in a bad way. Last evening, this morning, and this afternoon, even after battery-pull reboots, I was surprised to discover I could get GPS lock using a variety of 3rd party apps (Google Maps, Trip Panel, Trapster, Minimap), all without having to first execute VZnav, GPS-fix, GPS-wrestling, or anything. I am dumbfounded. Now I wonder how long my Pre+ will stay "broken".
    Seems like I gave up too quickly? I do not see how this is possible to be honest. Let's talk when you get back from your trip. Have fun!
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  4. #244  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Seems like I gave up too quickly? I do not see how this is possible to be honest. Let's talk when you get back from your trip. Have fun!
    I don't see how either. I kept checking GPS-fix to make sure that it wasn't enabled. But if it stays this way I am not going to complain.

    Nobody expects the spanish inquisition! ( )

    http://forums.precentral.net/images/smilies/cool.gif
  5. #245  
    Who want's cookie's?

    GPS Fix v0.7.5 has been submitted! Update through shopping bag or wait for feeds to update (2+ hrs). This version has patch support

    GPS Fix for VZ Navigator PATCH v1 has been submitted! Wait for Preware to update and show it under the NAVIGATION section of the patches (its the only GPS related section).

    Now, the documentation is weak right now, but it's more geared towards the non-homebrew community. You guys already know how to get patches and are following this thread

    It's fairly self explanatory. It will tell you when it thinks it needs to be loaded, and you load it. You can enable it for the background operation, or not. If you are NOT a Verizon user, you simply will not see it :P

    You can also hit P on the keyboard (for patch) to load it manually. Need a homebrewer guide here...

    Ohh, and please be sure to leave a review in the app catalog while you are there!

    EDIT: Attached a pic of what the patch allows me to do. Still loads VZ Nav, but you get this cool message and NO prompt to purchase. It literally stops the app before that part. If you load VZ Navigator up the normal way by tapping it's icon, it loads as normal. Special parameters MUST be passed to get this effect. This is the beauty of webOS and it's multi-tasking

    EDIT 2: I uploaded the patch. Looks like whoever is managing the patches is sleeping right now. If you install this version, do not install it from Preware. Use webOS Quick Install if you want to go this route.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by spdsktr; 07/30/2010 at 10:46 PM.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  6. #246  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Who want's cookie's?

    GPS Fix v0.7.5 has been submitted! Update through shopping bag or wait for feeds to update (2+ hrs). This version has patch support

    GPS Fix for VZ Navigator PATCH v1 has been submitted! Wait for Preware to update and show it under the SprintNav section (its the only GPS related section).

    Now, the documentation is weak right now, but it's more geared towards the non-homebrew community. You guys already know how to get patches and are following this thread

    It's fairly self explanatory. It will tell you when it thinks it needs to be loaded, and you load it. You can enable it for the background operation, or not. If you are NOT a Verizon user, you simply will not see it :P

    You can also hit P on the keyboard (for patch) to load it manually. Need a homebrewer guide here...

    Ohh, and please be sure to leave a review in the app catalog while you are there!

    EDIT: Attached a pic of what the patch allows me to do. Still loads VZ Nav, but you get this cool message and NO prompt to purchase. It literally stops the app before that part. If you load VZ Navigator up the normal way by tapping it's icon, it loads as normal. Special parameters MUST be passed to get this effect. This is the beauty of webOS and it's multi-tasking
    cant thank you enough for the continuous update on this app... downloaded the .75 update, still awaiting the preware patch
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  7. #247  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    cant thank you enough for the continuous update on this app... downloaded the .75 update, still awaiting the preware patch
    No, thank you guys for your help. Homebrew FTW!

    Two posts up, I uploaded the patch in case you want to get a jumpstart on trying it out.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  8. #248  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    No, thank you guys for your help. Homebrew FTW!

    Two posts up, I uploaded the patch in case you want to get a jumpstart on trying it out.
    cant seem to find it in preware...

    manual search and auto search.

    EDIT: stupid me... it was in your post
    Last edited by johnj2803; 07/30/2010 at 07:57 PM.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  9. MiDoJo's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #249  
    James, is the patch a suppiment to ebagg's or should I remove ebagg's first. GpS fix has been perfect all day btw
  10. #250  
    Which Preware feed would I find the patch in? Already upgraded to 0.7.5
  11. #251  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    James, is the patch a suppiment to ebagg's or should I remove ebagg's first. GpS fix has been perfect all day btw
    Ebaggs patch is nullified with the latest options. Technically, it's a red herring (Host/port issue), but cannot hurt to leave it installed by any means.


    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Which Preware feed would I find the patch in? Already upgraded to 0.7.5
    It's in all of them under the Sprint Nav Category (or maybe a new VZ Navigator category?).

    Might take a lil to show up, Internals reviews all patches before making them live and this one requires them to break out the Verizon Doctor to confirm it does no harm. Rod is working on it guys, please be patient (or use the manual method above if you like living on the edge).
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  12. #252  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    It's in all of them under the Sprint Nav Category (or maybe a new VZ Navigator category?).

    Might take a lil to show up, Internals reviews all patches before making them live and this one requires them to break out the Verizon Doctor to confirm it does no harm. Rod is working on it guys, please be patient (or use the manual method above if you like living on the edge).
    No worries. I had just thought that I'd missed it somewhere.
  13. #253  
    if you already have preware installed in your pre, install internalz then you can install the patch from the post above just email it to yourself

    that is what i did.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  14. #254  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    No, thank you guys for your help. Homebrew FTW!

    Two posts up, I uploaded the patch in case you want to get a jumpstart on trying it out.
    I have read and re read most of this thread and I am a bit confused. I have a un patched "virgin" Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I thought the gpsfix app could be used to keep the gps fix alive so that once I get a fix (using vznavigator trick and then using gps fix interval set to 20 mins) Id be able to use google maps as I drive to check my route and other location based info. But looks I need a bit more than ght gps fix app. What do I need? ebag333 patch (what is that?) and some other patch? I have not used homebrew apps or patched my pre plus in any way so far but may give it a try if it can fix my gps issues? Can any one confirm what (apps/fixes) I'd need beyond the gpsfix app to get my location based services to use the gps effectively?

    Thanks
  15. #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by psmith View Post
    I have read and re read most of this thread and I am a bit confused. I have a un patched "virgin" Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. I thought the gpsfix app could be used to keep the gps fix alive so that once I get a fix (using vznavigator trick and then using gps fix interval set to 20 mins) Id be able to use google maps as I drive to check my route and other location based info. But looks I need a bit more than ght gps fix app. What do I need? ebag333 patch (what is that?) and some other patch? I have not used homebrew apps or patched my pre plus in any way so far but may give it a try if it can fix my gps issues? Can any one confirm what (apps/fixes) I'd need beyond the gpsfix app to get my location based services to use the gps effectively?

    Thanks
    From what I can tell, this patch (the one spdsktr attached) allows the GPS-Fix app to sublaunch VZNav in a custom way and using a custom screen so that you can't accidentally buy it. That way you shouldn't have to launch it manually anymore. However, I don't believe it's necessary if you really wanted to launch it manually still... I just think the app is much more "clean" using this method.

    Also, thanks, spdsktr. You do good work.
  16. #256  
    Thanks bill.allrobots.org,

    You are correct. The app works without the patch to keep a connection alive. However -- there are times when it just might fail to keep the connection open. The only way to open that connection again is to open VZ Nav.

    The patch allows me to do this cleanly, in the background. Otherwise, VZ Nav would open and suck the battery dry from running a continual GPS tracking and keeping the screen on. I tried a special app to do this, but as shown by the video I did, will not work.

    The patch also allows for things like mode switcher (and probably profiles). If mode switcher is set to turn off GPS, wife, and/or radio for an extended period, the connection WILL be lost. The patch then allows the app to restablish that connection once those services are available again.

    It also does prevent the accidental "purchase" as it hides this option.

    Ebag's patch is technically a red herring. The Host/Port stuff it works on does not really affect anything. The missing piece is in the custom browser module they have (Sprint Nav is the first true hybrid, VZ Nav is the second). It will make no difference on this app. This app works to keep the connection alive whereas Ebag's patch mods a few apps to use the Host/Port.

    Major props to Ebag though. Without his initial work, I would have spent a lot more time finding answers.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  17. #257  
    Preware just updated.

    it's in the 'Navigation' category. They created a special one just for this

    if you want to see it in action, install, load GPS Fix, then hit the 'P' key and the modified version of vz nav will load. I'm out for the night, so lemme know how it works for you.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  18. #258  
    Pressing P while in the app (with patch installed) just brought up the vanilla VZNav screen... Not seeing the new behavior at all actually.
  19. markm's Avatar
    Posts
    102 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #259  
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.allrobots.org View Post
    Pressing P while in the app (with patch installed) just brought up the vanilla VZNav screen... Not seeing the new behavior at all actually.
    Yep, ditto for me. Hitting P or the VZNav button both seem to just launch VZNav normally.
    Rgds/Mark M.
  20. #260  
    Ok, apparently the preware version is hosed. I'm out and about tonight celebreating with my wife. I'll check on it in the AM.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions