Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 594
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #221  
    James, how can I donate to the cause? You've put forth some extraordinary efforts and I'd like to @ least show some appreciation towards your work.

    Thanks!
  2. #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by cr_8_tiv View Post
    James, how can I donate to the cause? You've put forth some extraordinary efforts and I'd like to @ least show some appreciation towards your work.

    Thanks!
    The link is in the app, but you can click here: Donate (much appreciated!)


    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    I really hope this works....

    my vzw pre +: no agps patch, qpst done.
    if I leave it alone m gps will not wake. Luna restart fixes every time.....but only for so long. I either removed vznav or hid it...not sure. The vz nav button in this app launches google maps....will advise, I use the google maps all day...or well try to....
    Launching Google Maps is a fallback option, which means you removed it. You wills till need VZ Navigator (despite what it says in app) to at least start the connection (which it will then keep alive). I hope to change that soon though...
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  3. MiDoJo's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #223  
    tried delete and reload of gpsfix 0.7 closed card (with notification enabled) and it closed all occurances of gpsfix in jstop will continue to test throughout day. Am willing to beta dm me @nergal2 on twitter

    EDIT: I just ot my first gps kept alive notice so gpsfix not showing in jstop after card close is a non-issue. Sorry to waste any time with it
    Last edited by MiDoJo; 07/29/2010 at 01:05 PM.
  4. #224  
    I was wondering what the best timeout value is these days? I'm very sensitive to battery drain. I'm a pretty heavy user and I rarely last 8-10 hours on a charge. I also won't the GPS for much other than the occasional map and running.

    Should I set it 20? How high can I go?

    Thank you!
  5. #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    EDIT: I just ot my first gps kept alive notice so gpsfix not showing in jstop after card close is a non-issue. Sorry to waste any time with it
    Correct. It is not *always* running. It shuts down, then get's awaken by the system at the interval set. Runs it's stuff, then goes back to sleep til the next run. JStop should show it running every X minutes though while it does it's behind the scenes work.

    Quote Originally Posted by klemson View Post
    I was wondering what the best timeout value is these days? I'm very sensitive to battery drain. I'm a pretty heavy user and I rarely last 8-10 hours on a charge. I also won't the GPS for much other than the occasional map and running.

    Should I set it 20? How high can I go?

    Thank you!

    That is dependent on your circumstances, location, environment, and need for GPS. I know, complicated.

    I recommend 20 minutes or less. You use it less often, so 20 minutes should keep the connection alive. If you work in a metal building or place with very weak signal, then maybe shut it off during the day?
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Launching Google Maps is a fallback option, which means you removed it. You wills till need VZ Navigator (despite what it says in app) to at least start the connection (which it will then keep alive). I hope to change that soon though...
    ...not sure how to get vz nav back....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
  7. #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Correct. It is not *always* running. It shuts down, then get's awaken by the system at the interval set. Runs it's stuff, then goes back to sleep til the next run. JStop should show it running every X minutes though while it does it's behind the scenes work.
    Thanks for version 0.7 -- haven't had much time to try it, but it did seem to be working!!

    Is it possible to have it check if GPS is on, and if not don't "run its stuff"? I'm not sure if the "stuff" is much of a power drain, but as I'm also sensitive to power use, I only turn the GPS on when I need it so I don't need the fix obviously when its off (and for accuracy's sake I don't use location services, not sure if the different possibilities there make for more complications). I'm also ok running VZ nav each time I turn on GPS.

    Thanks...
  8. #228  
    I'm sorry but I need to ask a stupid question. Is there any advantage to setting the frequency higher? If all this is doing is keeping the GPS alive and a high value is acceptable (say 20 minutes), why would you set it lower? What do I get for the battery life trade off?

    Thanks!
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...not sure how to get vz nav back....
    Dr. your phone? Sorry, but I cannot send out their IPK.


    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Is it possible to have it check if GPS is on, and if not don't "run its stuff"? I'm not sure if the "stuff" is much of a power drain, but as I'm also sensitive to power use, I only turn the GPS on when I need it so I don't need the fix obviously when its off (and for accuracy's sake I don't use location services, not sure if the different possibilities there make for more complications). I'm also ok running VZ nav each time I turn on GPS.
    Short answer is no. My aim is to keep this compatible for app catalog, which means no undocumented/unsupported APIs.

    However... if GPS is off, I get a special notice when I try to get a fix. I use this to "age" the requests a bit (aka much more time between requests). The lack of being able to actually ping the GPS and the combo of the extra time between runs helps even more conserve battery when you have it off. It will resume normal operation once you turn GPS back on. No major impact here and the best of both worlds (i thought ahead).


    Quote Originally Posted by klemson View Post
    I'm sorry but I need to ask a stupid question. Is there any advantage to setting the frequency higher? If all this is doing is keeping the GPS alive and a high value is acceptable (say 20 minutes), why would you set it lower? What do I get for the battery life trade off?
    The advantage to a higher frequency is obviously battery life. The disadvantage to a higher frequency is less reliability in GPS being fully awake when you need it.

    If you are on Verizon, then 20 minutes is the max to keep the connection alive that get's established by VZ Navigator.

    If you are on any other carrier, then a longer setting will not hurt. You may still have to do a manual Fix from time to time in order to use GPS in other apps if it get's stuck. This app was designed to keep it at least in a non-slumber mode.

    ---------------------

    Good news! I finally learned how to do patches (knew how to alter palm apps, but not the .patch process).

    Delete All Conversations/Texts: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ons-texts.html

    You can delete all of your IM and Text messages at once (confirmation required).

    I only mention it as now I know the process so I can work on the next idea to solve this lil issue we have here. Good things await
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  10. #230  
    Alpha Testing on the VZ Navigator PATCH begins in 5 hours (when I wake up). Went a bit faster than I expected.

    I have some alpha testers already, but anyone else want to alpha test? It's stable, but not much testing yet.

    * Must know how to follow a step by step guide
    * Must be patient enough to help reproduce the same results over and over
    * Must known webOS Quick Install
    * Must be willing to Dr (although *extremely* unlikely) Only mention because it is *possible*

    Email me at erupnu@gmail.com

    --

    For the technically inclined (or some Palm/Networks in Motion guy wondering what I did to THEIR not-open-source app), the patch modifies 3 files:

    app2app-assistant: Allows a new param (close:true) to be passed along and returned as app2app.return. This is the instruction I need later in the app.

    stage-assistant: Looks for the app2app close return. If it exists, it disables the power monitor and screen monitors. I load the app in background when screen is off and don't want it turning the screen on!

    splash-assistant: Looks for the app2app close return in the .onLogin callback. app2app.return == close, it stops the procession to the next screen by A.) putting content into SPLASH_WRAPPER about the auto close, B.) Sets a delay to close the stage, C.) Does an illegal break to stop processing.

    If app2app.return != close, it let's the app proceed unhindered. I can get away with the lack of power/screen monitors since it will auto close itself after 25 seconds.

    I know that seems complicated, but it's really not. I mention it so those that need to know, know. Carry on
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  11. #231  
    Some feedback on version 0.7:
    -If I have the GPS Fix card opened, but not enabled, I still got alerts regarding the gps accuracy?
    -on my drive home tonight, the accuracy was off in a way I've never seen it before, like a constant 2 block offset.

    Prior to this app I would see either.
    a) no lock at all
    b) with google location services on, a consistent and inaccurate lock 1/4-1/2 mile away. For this reason, I no longer have google location services on.
    c) very accurate lock, right after Vz Nav was opened.

    Now I see the position drifting around, even when I am stationary, and the (in google maps) size of the "ring" around the position is also frequently changing. This is seen even after a manual gps fix, where the accuracy is reported as "high". Again, I never saw this kind of behavior before...
  12. ght
    ght is offline
    ght's Avatar
    Posts
    772 Posts
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Some feedback on version 0.7:
    -If I have the GPS Fix card opened, but not enabled, I still got alerts regarding the gps accuracy?
    -on my drive home tonight, the accuracy was off in a way I've never seen it before, like a constant 2 block offset.

    Prior to this app I would see either.
    a) no lock at all
    b) with google location services on, a consistent and inaccurate lock 1/4-1/2 mile away. For this reason, I no longer have google location services on.
    c) very accurate lock, right after Vz Nav was opened.

    Now I see the position drifting around, even when I am stationary, and the (in google maps) size of the "ring" around the position is also frequently changing. This is seen even after a manual gps fix, where the accuracy is reported as "high". Again, I never saw this kind of behavior before...
    Was it raining? I have observed such behavior during rainstorms with my Pre Plus and with my Garmin Nuvi 750.
  13. #233  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Was it raining? I have observed such behavior during rainstorms with my Pre Plus and with my Garmin Nuvi 750.
    Nope. In San Diego no rain probably until October, and the marine layer hadn't kicked in either.

    Behavior this morning--location didn't move much except when VZ Nav was invoked (still to an inaccurate location), or when a manual GPS fix was applied (results were inaccurate as well).

    I'm going to remove and reinstall GPS fix and see if that makes a difference.
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    Nope. In San Diego no rain probably until October, and the marine layer hadn't kicked in either.

    Behavior this morning--location didn't move much except when VZ Nav was invoked (still to an inaccurate location), or when a manual GPS fix was applied (results were inaccurate as well).

    I'm going to remove and reinstall GPS fix and see if that makes a difference.
    Before I answer your previous post, I have 3 questions:

    1.) What do you expect from this app?
    2.) Did you read the details regarding accuracy in the app? If not, why not?
    3.) Do you know the things involved with GPS?

    Not being sarcastic or rude, I really want to know what is going on in your mind in regards to this app. I may end up changing the name...
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Alpha Testing on the VZ Navigator PATCH begins in 5 hours (when I wake up). Went a bit faster than I expected.
    This looks encouraging! What can we expect if alpha testing goes as planned? 100% GPS patch on VZ? (Maybe that's wishful thinking)
  16. #236  
    thanks for all of the useful information in this thread
  17. #237  
    Any word on when the newest fix (to undo some of the ineffective changes since 0.6.0) is coming in?
  18. #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    Any word on when the newest fix (to undo some of the ineffective changes since 0.6.0) is coming in?
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2580394


    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    This looks encouraging! What can we expect if alpha testing goes as planned? 100% GPS patch on VZ? (Maybe that's wishful thinking)
    Expect: GPS to always be unlocked and non-slumbering Even after coming out of Mode Switcher (mode = off, next app run = GPS unlocked == some delay possible). Early testing is showing consistent results in it being unlocked.

    If for some reason your chip does not wake up, you can run the manual GPS Fix button and it can run through all of the permutations automatically. The patch will be required though for VZ users.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  19. #239  
    :facepalm:

    I'm sorry. Not sure how I missed it...
  20. #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Before I answer your previous post, I have 3 questions:

    1.) What do you expect from this app?
    2.) Did you read the details regarding accuracy in the app? If not, why not?
    3.) Do you know the things involved with GPS?

    Not being sarcastic or rude, I really want to know what is going on in your mind in regards to this app. I may end up changing the name...
    I'm not really sure why my posting elicited such a response, I was simply relaying my experiences with the different versions, as I believe others have as well. I guess I thought I was being helpful but somehow was antagonistic?

    I'll still try to summarize my experience:
    -0.6.0 performed well for me. If improvements were made after that version for the sake of keeping GPS alive while inside a building over a period of hours, that is not a core need for me, as I would turn GPS off during that time to save power anyway.
    -I and others posted that 0.6.7 had some issues.
    -I am finding that 0.7 has worse accuracy than what I previously experienced in 0.6.0, and even in the seconds after Vz Nav is invoked or a manual GPS fix is attempted, the GPS location is still not accurate. I would interpret this as the app itself affecting GPS accuracy, not simply pinging VZ Nav to have it update. I got more accurate results just using Ebag333's patch and firing up Vz Nav, but yes, the lock would not be maintained unless in constant use, which is why I find the potential for your app to work to be attractive.

    I hope this is useful information. If not or it is perceived as negative, I'll go away, and maybe the app isn't for me.

    Thanks...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions