Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I'm exhausted, but could not go to bed before I got some ideas finished up on this.

If anyone wants to help test this new stuff, email me. You MUST be willing to let the connection die with VZ Nav, then take my instructions to see if this new feature unlocks it.

Requirements: Must be familiar with webOS Quick Install (or Internalz). Must be patient and able to follow detailed instructions. Keen eye to see what happens and report in detail on it. Not afraid to use webOS Doctor (though this is *extremely* unlikely).

Email me and we shall begin tomorrow.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post

Also to those who get a fix that is far away, it's been said before but can definitely use repeating, Turn Google Services off in location services.
    thank for making that clear - I've been reading the GPS threads for 2 months and on GPS Fix from the beginning and never quite 'got' that out of what everyone was saying!

one thing I did while James was away was finally install preware/govnah/uberkernal and have been ecstatic about the speed improvements and the various minor patches (timestamps on txt msgs!). I've done none of the GPS related stuff however, since I know GPS Fix will be my solution

Have a great day, Clarice
    I think I'm anticipating the new version of GPS Fix more than I am anticipating the release of the 1.4.5 update
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Otay
    Poll Time

please post the following. Program working/not working, using/not using Ebagg's patch, using/not using QPST fix for GPS.
    My answers, in summary

Program working? All versions worked in maintaing GPS wakefulness **as long as unit had interrupted GPS signal**. 0.6.0 worked also thru short durations (2-3hrs) of no signal, but could not maintain wakefulness thru longer periods of no signal (6-9hrs). 0.6.7 was a regression in functionality. It could not maintain wakefulness even during short durations of no signal (e.g. 1-2 hrs).

Using Ebagg patch? No. Had Ebagg's patch for a while, which seemed to help in the speed of lock. Sometimes I could kickstart GPS by opening GPS-trip panel multiple times. In general, VZnav still required. I removed it in preparation for the OS update.

Use QPST? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I think I'm anticipating the new version of GPS Fix more than I am anticipating the release of the 1.4.5 update
    +1

Going on x-country driving/camping trip by this weekend. Right pond to left pond and back kind of trip. Really hoping James can get us a workable version by then!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    +2 !

after turning off using Google Services I just get a FAIL message instead of a seriously bad location. I'm OK with that. 15 min drive to work and no fix even after rebooting and then opening VZ Nav. starting to think my GPS chip is the problem, but i'll wait for the next version of GPS Fix to decide on that. I'm happy with my phone and it's quirks (yellow spots on screen, small crack by the USB even though i've never dropped it) that I don't want to have to exchange it!

cheers, Clarice
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    after turning off using Google Services I just get a FAIL message instead of a seriously bad location. I'm OK with that. 15 min drive to work and no fix even after rebooting and then opening VZ Nav. starting to think my GPS chip is the problem, but i'll wait for the next version of GPS Fix to decide on that.
    Your GPS chip is okay. Mine does the same thing. Sometimes after jamming, a battery pull reboot was necessary, not just a simple restart.

I always leave google services on. I travel enough so that I can still use local restaurant and hotel listings even though I don't have a real GPS fix. Just a rough location would suffice.
    So I'm a little confused about the GPS Fix button and the VZN Navigator button. According to the help, all I need to do is Enable, then close. So, why the buttons?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    So I'm a little confused about the GPS Fix button and the VZN Navigator button. According to the help, all I need to do is Enable, then close. So, why the buttons?
    vznav button in case gpsfix can't grab a signal (rare ut does occur) gpsfix button for when you are impatient "gives the user a sense of power"
    Jame,
    .6.7 the reason people are reporting it as losing a signal or as being a regresion.
    it no longer run in background (per jstop when closing fix card it disappears from running programs where previous versions would remain listed). It also does not remember setting notifications setting to no.
    a going to restart my device to be sure of this but am 99% sure of my above report
    I have been able to get a GPS fix with all versions, the only thing its seems that with the latest version there is more battery drain. Not 100% sure if its this app but nothing has really changed except updating this app. I will keep monitoring this, and wait for the next update.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I have been able to get a GPS fix with all versions, the only thing its seems that with the latest version there is more battery drain. Not 100% sure if its this app but nothing has really changed except updating this app. I will keep monitoring this, and wait for the next update.
    I believe the ..7 and ..9 versions are meant as debugging versions to help identify what was wrong. They are not meant to be improvements to the user.

I believe Spdsktr is working on a real fix that he is hoping he will be able to release soon. It is under going some alpha testing right now.

@Canderoc: I believe Spdsktr put the fix and VZnav buttons to allow manual activation of these functions so that he can see what's going on with the app in foreground and debug logging = "on".
    Last edited by luau joe; 07/27/2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Ok, so my latest attempt did not work as expected. Early tests were promising, but when I was able to get a 100% duplicative situation, progress went quickly.

Long story short -- the "unlock" of the GPS is confined to the com.palm.app.vznavigator namespace. It is demonstrated in this video for your viewing pleasure (video of a Pre+ from a Pre). The time between attempts is short, but it's reproducable even if you space them out by 30 minutes apiece.

What this means is that the "Plugin" I was working on cannot be used to unlock GPS in the same manner as VZ Navigator. The video also demonstrates that it's not necessarily the code in VZ Navigator either. I copied the VZ Nav app, gave it a different ID (literally, that is all that is different), and launched it. Still no joy.

All this means is 1.) I have to go another direction 2.) It will take more time.

I know everyone is anxious to get this 100% resolved, and I am working on it as fast as I can. Still have my day job as well. Even learning what does NOT work is valuable from a debugging standpoint. Every straw that is not a needle get's tossed out.

Answers:

1.) .7 and .9 was meant for some debugging code. I will release a new version with some more efficiency and to kill the stuff that does not work.

2.) The buttons are there primarily for debugging and the OCD's among us. VZ Nav is 1 button as instead of swipe up + launcher + 2nd page of apps + tap to load VZ Nav. The GPS Fix is for those immediate fixes between runs and also puts the debugging data in a hidden layer so you can see/email it to me with the proper shortcut.

3.) MiDoJo, it should not disappear unless you disable the background operation. To those who report that it is not saving states and stays disabled, the cookies are corrupt. I will work on a method to identify when this happens and reset it properly. For now, simply delete the app and reinstall. Should be easy to correct, had this happen to me in FlashCards so I was able to build code to spot and correct it. Just needs a port.

4.) Anyone getting a FAIL on a fix, load VZ Navigator. It should unlock the chip and allow it to function.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    What this means is that the "Plugin" I was working on cannot be used to unlock GPS in the same manner as VZ Navigator. The video also demonstrates that it's not necessarily the code in VZ Navigator either. I copied the VZ Nav app, gave it a different ID (literally, that is all that is different), and launched it. Still no joy.
    Here's a thought. Clearly the lock and unlock codes lie outside of VZnav. Could it be that detection of VZnav launch is the key that execute the code to unlock GPS? And closing VZnav results in execution of another set of codes to start timer for GPS lockdown?

So executing VZnav codes under another ID is not the same as executing an app named "VZnav", even though they are both exactly the same codes.

Plug-in seems to work well in keeping unlock state, but VZnav execution is still required to unlock. Closing VZnav will eventually cause lockdown, but closing PlugIn will not. If both are the same codes, then the only difference is in the names.

Here is my latest data point:

(1) If I perform this sequence: have VZnav open as a card, and then invoke Plug-In, verify gps function by ##gps#, then close VZnav: Lockdown will occur within 2 hrs.

(2) However If I perform this sequence: VZnav open as card, verify gps function, close VZnav, then execute PlugIn (while gps is still active), Lockdown does not occur.

The only difference between (1) and (2) is whether VZnav or the Plug-In was the last item opened. If closing VZnav was the last action, lockdown occurs. If Plug-in was last, lockdown does not occur.

Reboot wipes the slate clean. VZnav execution is necessary to unlock. Plug-in cannot unlock, but can prevent auto-relock as long as closing VZnav is not the last action.
    Last edited by luau joe; 07/28/2010 at 12:20 PM.
    luau joe,

The only issue I have with this is that I could not duplicate the Plugin keeping the unlock. The video shows VZ Nav unlocking it. What it didn't show was that all of that happened with no reboot and multiple tests using this. I ran that simulation over and over and over again with no power down. Just wash, rinse, repeat with nothing in the middle.

This is what I mean by inconsistent results on VZ GPS issues. You experience one thing, and I can experience something else entirely.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Is this a reason why we do not have a fix yet from Palm and/or Verizon? Or is there a fix but one that only be made by Palm and/or Verizon?
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    Is this a reason why we do not have a fix yet from Palm and/or Verizon? Or is there a fix but one that only be made by Palm and/or Verizon?
    idk... Still do not know WHAT specifically unlocks it. Just where it is at. I suspect they know (or have an idea), and it's some political/legal/technical challenge getting in the way. There is no way a Pre+ got past development testing without this issue being known. But then again, the PDK fstab permissions issue got past them on the OTA updates.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    luau joe,

The only issue I have with this is that I could not duplicate the Plugin keeping the unlock. The video shows VZ Nav unlocking it. What it didn't show was that all of that happened with no reboot and multiple tests using this. I ran that simulation over and over and over again with no power down. Just wash, rinse, repeat with nothing in the middle.

This is what I mean by inconsistent results on VZ GPS issues. You experience one thing, and I can experience something else entirely.
    James, have u tried doing my exact sequence?

- reboot to get clean slate
    - Open VZnav (do not decline offer)
    - wait 30 seconds or more
    - open Trip Panel. Verify unlock and GPS functionally active. For me, this step takes about 2-3 minutes.
    - close VZnav (do NOT touch the decline offer button)
    - wait about 30 seconds
    - Execute Plug-in.

I have just done this again, and I re-verified that Trip Panel can activate GPS functions without VZnav after 2+ hours indoors. Last night to this morning, I observed GPS stays unlocked after 8+ hrs indoors. No GPS-fix or pinging necessary, but the sequence has to be the order I stated. Sequence needs to be executed only once after a reboot/startup.

note added in proof: I am thinking that hitting the "decline" button auto starts the count down to timed lockup that nothing can stop. Maybe except executing VZnav again. In my trials, I simply flick away the VZnav card, never touching the "decline" button.
    Last edited by luau joe; 07/28/2010 at 01:28 PM.
    James,

As a new Pre Plus Verizon user, I've been watching this thread closely and hoping you are successful. I watched your video and also read luau joe's comments. I have tried opening and declining the real VZnav quickly as you initially did with your clone and it does not work for me, so I'm not surprised to see the clone not working in your video. I must let VZnav set there for about 30 seconds or more for it to do whatever it does. With all the work you've done, I'm sure you've tried leaving your clone active for a while, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Also with the real VZnav I've found I don't need to decline it, just leave the card running (minimized...is that the right term here?).

After VZnav runs for 30+ seconds I can run Google maps and other programs that use the GPS. I just have to be careful not to push the BUY button!

Thanks for all your hard work on this. Wishing you luck for all of our benefit!!!

George
    Ok everyone, v0.7.0 submitted. Nothing fancy here.

1.) Looks for corrupt cookie and resets if found. This way settings will save without delete/reinstall
    2.) Has more methods in background operation to attempt fix, should be faster too.
    3.) Removes the plugin and previous sublaunch methods. They were not working.

I did not make any progress on the app tonight really. Lil bit of a break, and another duty: We did a new devcast tonight. If you want some insight into developer's minds, you can go to webosroundup.com tomorrow. Joining us tonight was our very own Jason Robitaille.

I'll be back at it tomorrow and working on the next thing to attempt a 100% fix for this.
    - James Harris

Author of:

I really hope this works....

my vzw pre +: no agps patch, qpst done.
    if I leave it alone m gps will not wake. Luna restart fixes every time.....but only for so long. I either removed vznav or hid it...not sure. The vz nav button in this app launches google maps....will advise, I use the google maps all day...or well try to....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --