Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 594
Like Tree2Likes
  1. #181  
    Two people, doing practically the same thing, with entirely different results.

    Now this is odd, cyclic, and weird at the same time.

    swinokur, I believe for you the getCurrentLocation method is what is tripping you up. For some reason, it fails on your device. Even tho I call the startTracking method right after that, it does not work. But using another app (which I presume simply uses startTracking), it works. This is the same reported by some and GPS Trip Panel (I know that one uses startTracking alone).

    So, how do I determine in real time which one works/fails for you, when the second one does not work after the first one fails? I am going to work on this. swinokur, please email me. I want to send a special IPK you way to see how running only method #2 works for you. Maybe I reverse the values?

    If it is any consolation -- went to a Verizon store today. GPS failed in every single regard. Also found out my "sublaunch" option fails too. I know what is wrong with it now.

    ------------

    Anyone with a Verizon Pre/Pixi in Pensacola? How about Jacksonville tomorrow? I'll be leaving tomorrow AM for Jacksonville, FL til Monday. Having a real device to play with for an hour would solve a lot of my hurdles.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  2. #182  
    Opps... I left some debugging code in the 0.6.0 release. Emulator always returns extremely accurate results (aka preloaded value), so I have to plug in diff numbers to test continual runs.

    If it reports Accuracy as "Extremely Low" when tapping the "GPS Fix" button, then it's actually invalid... I'll get an update out shortly.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  3. tallarob's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    #183  
    Used GolfPinFinder today and it worked great all day. Did not have to jump through any hoops to get it going or keep it going. This was the best it has worked since I have had the app!
  4. #184  
    Ok, talked the WIFE (yes, I said wifi on twitter) into getting a Pre Plus. Just got it, now eating dinner. I'l be able to make this even better now. She finally gave up her crackberry.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  5. #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ok, talked the WIFE (yes, I said wifi on twitter) into getting a Pre Plus. Just got it, now eating dinner. I'l be able to make this even better now. She finally gave up her crackberry.
    thanks man! Ur app really helps. It's better than nothing really keep up thhe good work
    Last edited by johnj2803; 07/25/2010 at 05:53 AM.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  6. #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Ok, talked the WIFE (yes, I said wifi on twitter) into getting a Pre Plus. Just got it, now eating dinner. I'l be able to make this even better now. She finally gave up her crackberry.
    Wow ... now THAT's dedication to the cause!
  7. #187  
    Good News:

    1.) I have a Verizon Pixi+ that I can solely test on now! (upgraded daughters phone, and she is in Honduras, so it is mine for a few more weeks).

    2.) My wife has a Pre+ I can test on for some things (though she is playing Tetris nonstop)

    3.) I no longer have to rely on your time to help me. I can find answers 10x faster now and try multiple permutations. Thanks to all for your help!

    4.) I am leaving for Jacksonville in a few hours, so can test this really good on the road.

    5.) I was able to wake GPS up on Verizon Pixi+ WITHOUT loading VZ Navigator in any way. All GPS apps are working great now

    That last one is the super, really, really good news. I emailed myself the debugging data and need to sift through it. It was a complicated procedure from some new code I developed to run things ala carte. Once I figure out exactly what is going on, I can build it into the app. This should be a 100% solution for everyone. It also means I can unlock it for those who shut down and restart, simply timeout, or use mode switcher with things turned off for a period.

    The road trip will let me double and triple check the method to ensure it works.

    Bad News:

    1.) The sublaunch method I use for VZ Navigator does not work. It fails to load some things like the custom service that is needed. It semi-works, but the piece that is needed does not.

    2.) I will be on the road for a few days. It's part of the good news, but no real active development while I am out.

    Each bad news item is trumped by a good news item. So, there will not be a new version for a few days. However, when the next one is released, it should solve ALL issues.

    Please have patience. It takes a lot of time to test this. Once GPS is unlocked, it stays that way for a while. Since I am testing ways to unlock it, each success means time wasted waiting for it to lock again.

    As always, donations are appreciated. I used what donations came in to help purchase these devices. Gotta feed my wife's inevitable app buying spree now


    @smmullen - I am dedicated to all apps I do, 100%. If you have seen my past work, then you should know I go to great lengths to make them perfect. No one has any idea how much I actually spent on the free FMR, and FlashCards is my baby.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  8. #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Good News:

    1.) I have a Verizon Pixi+ that I can solely test on now! (upgraded daughters phone, and she is in Honduras, so it is mine for a few more weeks).

    2.) My wife has a Pre+ I can test on for some things (though she is playing Tetris nonstop)

    3.) I no longer have to rely on your time to help me. I can find answers 10x faster now and try multiple permutations. Thanks to all for your help!

    4.) I am leaving for Jacksonville in a few hours, so can test this really good on the road.

    5.) I was able to wake GPS up on Verizon Pixi+ WITHOUT loading VZ Navigator in any way. All GPS apps are working great now

    That last one is the super, really, really good news. I emailed myself the debugging data and need to sift through it. It was a complicated procedure from some new code I developed to run things ala carte. Once I figure out exactly what is going on, I can build it into the app. This should be a 100% solution for everyone. It also means I can unlock it for those who shut down and restart, simply timeout, or use mode switcher with things turned off for a period.

    The road trip will let me double and triple check the method to ensure it works.

    Bad News:

    1.) The sublaunch method I use for VZ Navigator does not work. It fails to load some things like the custom service that is needed. It semi-works, but the piece that is needed does not.

    2.) I will be on the road for a few days. It's part of the good news, but no real active development while I am out.

    Each bad news item is trumped by a good news item. So, there will not be a new version for a few days. However, when the next one is released, it should solve ALL issues.

    Please have patience. It takes a lot of time to test this. Once GPS is unlocked, it stays that way for a while. Since I am testing ways to unlock it, each success means time wasted waiting for it to lock again.
    James, I am truly impressed with your dedication in getting this done. So far, everything you've said echoed my experience using your ver 0.6.5. So far it is doing a flawless job keeping GPS awake, even in short durations of no signal of 2 hrs or so. I too realized that it couldn't kick start the GPS if the unit sits inside without signal for 8 hrs or more. It's like the hardware has 2 states of sleep, a light sleep, which eventually transits into a deep slumber.

    My donation on way to you soon to feed your wife's Tetris habit. Am guessing Tetris is more fun on Pre than on a Crackberry.
  9. akram's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #189  
    I can't get to detect my location using PRE on Sprint, it's enable and keep getting excellant signal but does not upsate the location????
  10. #190  
    We are all watching this very closely, your work is greatly appreciated. Many GPS apps are simply unusable on VZN Pre+. We look forward to the day that we can use the GPS.
  11. #191  
    just to update, used ver 0.6.7 with trapster again.

    with medium accuracy, it seems the trapster app did track me still using the triangulation with the cell towers and not the GPS itself.

    will try with smartrunner tom

    thanks
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  12. #192  
    I'm running 0.6.7 after 0.6.5 and 0.6? before.

    0.6 seemed to work best for me, kept the GPS on and accurate.. I've now set the frequency to 15 minutes, and it never seems to try to get a fix unless I force it (and the GPS position doesn't update even when I move). Even running Vz Navigator from GPS fix doesn't always help (I have it turn on from mode switcher along with GPS, it does seem to establish the initial fix).
    Also I noticed when I manually attempt the GPS fix, it "overwrites the previous "last ran" information with the new results but keeps the previous time it was run FWIW...It also says [failed] / Unknown / Accuracy: Very High.

    I'm not an advanced user, so if you can give some instructions for sending a log, I'll forward the info.

    Hoping this turns into a great app.

    Thanks...

    PS it looks like it did just run an attempted GPS update--the message said "fix maintained" or something to that effect, but the main GPS fix still says failed, and the actual position is still the last (old) one where a true fix was achieved (ie it didn't update to correct position). My description of the "last ran" info above is unchanged.
  13. #193  
    So I'm not the only one who seemed to notice that the older version worked better?
  14. #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    2.) I will be on the road for a few days. It's part of the good news, but no real active development while I am out.

    Each bad news item is trumped by a good news item. So, there will not be a new version for a few days. However, when the next one is released, it should solve ALL issues.

    Please have patience. It takes a lot of time to test this. Once GPS is unlocked, it stays that way for a while. Since I am testing ways to unlock it, each success means time wasted waiting for it to lock again.
    I don't think James is around to answer questions right now.

    On the plus side, sounds like he now has at least one if not two verizon devices to test with - so that should speed development when he gets back from travels.
  15. #195  
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
    So I'm not the only one who seemed to notice that the older version worked better?
    No you are not. Ver 0.6.0 worked the best for me. 0.6.5 and 0.6.7 seem bulky, and I had trouble waking up GPS in the mornings and had to resort to the VZWnav dance. Using the latest version, the GPS went into a coma in the middle of the day only after a few hours of no signal - that didn't happen in 0.6.0.
  16. #196  
    I am home now. I learned one major thing on my travels: Verizon GPS is 100% inconsistent in every single manner. Each attempt to wake GPS in different manners sometimes would work, but mostly not. The Pixi+ works better than the Pre+ in terms of GPS, FYI. I know what I must do now, and now I can do it.

    The different between 0.6.0 and 0.6.x had one major change, of which I will be removing (it doesn't work). I think it is keeping some of you from getting the fix, my apologies. Was using you as guinea pigs, now I can use my own devices for testing. The 0.6.5-0.6.7 were minor changes mainly designed to gear up for my trip and testing.

    I will apply what I learned and new techniques over the next few days.

    On a separate note -- this app cannot fix all accuracy issues. It can fix minor ones because it keeps a "cache" or "history" to pull from, which is great in many cases. However, it cannot fix other cases, nor can it do anything about other apps. If Trapster is not tracking you properly, there is little GPS Fix can do about it.

    But, with the front page article I just read in the middle of typing this, well, let's just say that some of those legal restrictions I alluded to before may not be a barrier afterall

    Rest, catchup, kick *** update to this app... in that order.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  17. MiDoJo's Avatar
    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    #197  
    Otay

    Poll Time

    please post the following. Program working/not working, using/not using Ebagg's patch, using/not using QPST fix for GPS.

    I'll start
    Program Working Perfectly (only had to launch vznav twice, both I was inside at the time, and once I had to reboot device as GPS worked but went into lock as can happen infrequently)
    Yes using Ebagg's Patch
    Yes Using QPST

    (Note, this program's 99% better than the 75% better that ebagg+QPST was alone)

    Also to those who get a fix that is far away, it's been said before but can definitely use repeating, Turn Google Services off in location services.
  18. srkDesign's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    No you are not. Ver 0.6.0 worked the best for me. 0.6.5 and 0.6.7 seem bulky, and I had trouble waking up GPS in the mornings and had to resort to the VZWnav dance. Using the latest version, the GPS went into a coma in the middle of the day only after a few hours of no signal - that didn't happen in 0.6.0.
    Similar here 0.6.0 and 0.6.5 worked equally well. From the start I've had a lot of trouble getting it things going; ie i would wake VZNav the GPS awake and google maps would show accurate info. But GPS Fix would fail as soon as VZNav was closed. Two or three tries later it would work and GPS fix would never lose a fix (no mater when or where I was (aside from my bedroom (my room is like a Faraday cage even wifi can't escape lol) and school (built like a cement bunker), those had accurate placement but big circles of confusion), and when opening apps I would get a fix in <2 seconds.

    With 0.6.7 it takes six or seven tries to get everything going (equal performance to 0.5.X) and now apps take ~10 seconds to get a fix and ~3% it isn't right (never had wrong info with 0.6.0 and 0.6.5).

    EDIT: Also, the weather has gotten a little worse than it was when testing earlier builds (not much, but it will affect it).
    Last edited by srkDesign; 07/26/2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Forgot something
  19. #199  
    I'll let you guys poll it up while I work on the ultimate solution. The "does this work" test succeeded, which opens the door for a 100% fix

    Soon... soon.
    - James Harris

    Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

    Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    I'll let you guys poll it up while I work on the ultimate solution. The "does this work" test succeeded, which opens the door for a 100% fix

    Soon... soon.
    You're doing an awesome job, I wish I had 1/1000 your ability to even know what to try.

    I took off "Enable Verizon GPS fix" (QPST was too complicated for me) this didn't make a difference. I'm going to put it back on (previously it allowed the fix to stay a little longer) and will wait with baited breath for version 0.X.Y > 0.6.7.

    By the way I believe the accuracy issues are not due to this patch--I never use location service, only GPS--as location services always gave me inaccurate results.

    Thanks.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions