1.    #1  
    I would like to make an app for my wife to use that displays an rss feed of a celebrity gossip site "ohnotheydidnt". I would like to make it look pretty close to the pre central app. can anyone point in the right direction. i have made an account at palm ares and i believe im ready to go. all help is highly appreciated
    It would be best to use something that converts RSS to JSON (simply for the easier parsing).

When I have to accomplish this (well, XML to JSON), I use xml to json - CodeProject

That will allow you to use an Ajax.Request() to pull down the data.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    The precentral app just loads the precentral mobile website. It's not a real app. And @arthurthornton, thanks for that link.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    The precentral app just loads the precentral mobile website. It's not a real app. And @arthurthornton, thanks for that link.
    You're welcome.

I think he was talking about the unofficial P|C app that loads the RSS feed and displays a basic list.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Ah, yes. I was unaware of the new precentral app. Just installed it. Could use some polish, but nice to see an actual app.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    I can understand if you are trying to do something special for your wife, but the NewsRoom app is a great RSS newsreader app that's already in the catalog. I would suggest at least looking at that for ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by SooperDooper View Post
    I would like to make an app for my wife to use that displays an rss feed of a celebrity gossip site "ohnotheydidnt". I would like to make it look pretty close to the pre central app. can anyone point in the right direction. i have made an account at palm ares and i believe im ready to go. all help is highly appreciated
    What is the rss feed for that site?
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Never mind found it here:
    Frequently Asked Question #149

So now that you got the feed:
    Code:
    http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/data/rss
    Oh No They Didn't!
    Follow this example I found @ developer.palm.com
    It also has a ScreenCast
    That Forum is awesome for getting help writing webOS apps.

Below are some simple instructions to get started with the RSS UI widget. A Screencast link is also attached below.

1. Open ares.palm.com
    2. On the upper left menu, click new->Application
    3. In the dialog box, enter a name for this application.
    4. Once the canvas displays (a blank white area in middle of screen), drag a header element from the left side widget palette to the top of the canvas.
    5. Within the property inspector on the right hand side, change the label to whatever you’d like to call the application.
    6. From the widget palette, drag a scroll object to the canvas and maximize using the maximize button on the sizing tool section of the right side property inspector.
    7. From the widget palette, drag a RSS object (Under UI widgets!) to the canvas and maximize using the maximize button on the sizing tool section of the right side property inspector.
    8. For this example, insert this URL:
    Code:
    http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/data/rss
    into the feedURL property (scroll down on the right side property inspector).
    9. Scrolling up on the property inspector, select the small icon next to the itemHtml property. 10. This will open a dialog box where the template file lives. Delete everything from within this dialog box and leave it open.
    11. Download and open the file http://palm.cdnetworks.net/devrel/aj...s-template.rtf
    12. Copy and paste the HTML located within the downloaded file into the dialog box.
    13. Save clicking the disc icon on the upper left menu.
    14. While running the emulator or a palm device in developer mode, click the play button and the application should appear.

A flash Screencast can be found here:
    ScreenFlow video

Sorry for the brevity, let me know if this points you in the right place.

Last edited by Mannyman; 07/13/2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя