1.    #1  
    Hey,

I'm Jerry and I'm a Mediadesigner. I had some considorations about app-icon-design and wrote a article about it.
    I hope it's usefull for you.

Here is the Link:

ART-ifact Weblog Why standards for App-Icons would be useful
    I create custom grayscale icons for every application on my phone for this reason. Many of the icons that are built into applications are poorly designed, hard to differentiate from others, and often have very little to do with the subject of the app.

The main thing I like to do in addition to using grayscale (I find many different colored icons distracting and hard to differentiate) is use bevels and embosses to create a slight 3D effect. I also like to make parts of the icon translucent to create a background effect. These effects together make for much better visibility.

As far as content, I usually use google image search to find appropriate stock images that will become the basis of the new icon.
    Nice article, however I have to disagree for myself. One of my favorite things about webOS is that there are different looking icons.

In fact, I have actually avoided apps in the catalog that had "iPhone" style app icons... they may have been great apps, but I didn't even bother to read the description. *shrug*
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Nice article, however I have to disagree for myself. One of my favorite things about webOS is that there are different looking icons.

In fact, I have actually avoided apps in the catalog that had "iPhone" style app icons... they may have been great apps, but I didn't even bother to read the description. *shrug*
    Well, the formfactor doesn't mean that every icon looks like the other.
    There are much ways to get it out of trash
    I would much rather see icons with palm-style translucent circle then the iphone-style rounded square.