1.    #1  
    Hello Forum, I'm looking to make an app. Its going to be a very basic app, I want to make an app that listens to one radio station that is streamed online. It will be very simple, A play/mute button at the bottom and a picture in the background. My problem is that I have ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE writing code or developing but I would really like to learn, and I figure there is no better way to learn than to make my own simple app. I want to use Ares ( ares.palm.com ) to make it, I assume that would make everything much simpler. Can any one give me instructions or pointers?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    ..And you want to start with streaming audio? Try something simpler, http://www.precentral.net/palm-devel...res-now-online
    Have you tried this?
  3.    #3  
    Not what I asked for but whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    It might not be what you asked, but he is trying to help.

You should watch that video. It brings the creator of Ares on and shows some of Ares' functions.

That should help you with understanding Ares a bit better.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I love these posts that are like "i want to learn how to write apps! How do you make an app that does ______?" well do you wanna learn how to write apps or do.you want someone to tell you how to make an app that does _______ in which a. You won't learn anything because you haven't learned the basics and b. You probably won't succeed. You gotta crawl before you learn how to walk, grasshopper.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Well, I'm not new at developing, I've been a full-time software developer for a couple years. However, that tutorial had helped me out tremendously! As soon as I got a hold of it, I started writing an application which has been sitting at the back of my head.

It may seem silly to do something you don't want to, but if you want to be an effective developer, you must do silly things :P. I recommend playing with that tutorial.

I doubt anyone will ever teach you how to stream audio step by step, but you can learn over time. Just focus through the frustration and you'll start having fun...
    then don't ask for help at all, if you have no clue what your doing then don't do it at all.
  8.    #8  
    Holy ***** people, I just said thats not what I asked for. You want me to say thanks? Okay. Look under every post in this thread.
    well this thread helped me tremendously...i think I'll start tinkering with Ares and see what I come up with...thanks
  10.    #10  
    I watched the video. I'm still clueless. I thought, from what everyone was saying, that this video would actually show me something useful about writing code or whatever you call it. All this video shows is how to use Ares, which wasn't my problem in the first place. Not even worth posting on Precentral for help. Definitely not the first time I have felt that way about Precentral's forum, nor will it be the last I'm sure.
    learn CSS, HTML, and Javascript, you need to go through those docs and do some reading, it's the only way, the new boston on youtube has some great videos to get you started with simple HTML and Java hope this helps!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by decibeat View Post
    learn CSS, HTML, and Javascript, you need to go through those docs and do some reading, it's the only way, the new boston on youtube has some great videos to get you started with simple HTML and Java hope this helps!
    Thanks, but I think I'm just gonna give up.... again.
    Thanks, but I think I'm just gonna give up.... again.
    You need to control your anger
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.