Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    <<moved and merged threads>>
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    <<moved and merged threads>>
    Yes, it made for some confusing reading when I clicked through from the thread that has now been moved to the thread linked and while reading through that thread, end back up where I started. Dejavu at it's finest. LOL
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes, it made for some confusing reading when I clicked through from the thread that has now been moved to the thread linked and while reading through that thread, end back up where I started. Dejavu at it's finest. LOL
    I suffered from whiplash.
    I'm just hoping the phone will be able to use any of the custom kernals post doctoring. I was having the same problem as other users that after installing this, the govnah wouldn't accept any other setting besides the stock settings. :/
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    I'm just hoping the phone will be able to use any of the custom kernals post doctoring. I was having the same problem as other users that after installing this, the govnah wouldn't accept any other setting besides the stock settings. :/

As I understand it, the doctor reformats the filesystems other than /media/internal, thereby removing all traces of anything that was installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    As I understand it, the doctor reformats the filesystems other than /media/internal, thereby removing all traces of anything that was installed.
    Didn't work. The machine is fully functional, but now whenever I try to change profiles, govnah just ignores my command and stays on Palm Default (at least it's no longer locking up). When I go into the specific settings and try to for example turn on compache or change any other settings one would use to make a new profile I get "Unable to run command: /sbin/insmod/lib.modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmaloc.ko 2>&1insmod: error inserting 'lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko': -1 File exists
    Didn't work. The machine is fully functional, but now whenever I try to change profiles, govnah just ignores my command and stays on Palm Default (at least it's no longer locking up). When I go into the specific settings and try to for example turn on compache or change any other settings one would use to make a new profile I get "Unable to run command: /sbin/insmod/lib.modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmaloc.ko 2>&1insmod: error inserting 'lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-joplin-3430/extra/xvmalloc.ko': -1 File exists
    Have you reinstalled a Kernel package after the doctor? The Doctor restores the system to the stock Palm kernel, which doesn't support any changes to CPU speed, nor does it support Compcache.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Yes I installed uberkernal through preware.
    Nevermind. Restarted it again and everything is back online and working. Guess the first restart didn't stick or something, IDK. Still miss the speed of the 1 ghz. that was nice.
    I figured it out. Go and download the -69 Version. Go to Govnah and have it set on the profile you want to use. Upgrade the kernel in Preware. Now you have -73 and you have 1ghz.
    ...Then I try SM Bromwich kernal. Installed Govnah post Bromwich install. Still nothing. Still thinks its running a precompache uberkernal and then when I go to change any setting it locks up.
    Something is (as you've discovered) quite wrong. None of my kernels have the compcache module enabled, as far as I recall.

Please, if anyone has gone through this or might know if there's a patch or something that may be causing this, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I think it is mere coincidence, but not long after booting the warthog kernel my pre died (and it died in a fashion that suggested overheating and/or marginal components, probably USB). I now have a loaner replacement while I wait for mine to be fixed; I shall be interested to see the report. Since you can at least boot you are ahead in the game; following the OMAP boot loader followed by the alternate procedure listed at Last Resort Emergency BootLoader Recovery - WebOS Internals worked for me until the USB interface burnt out.

Bell now appear to be distributing a later hardware rev, from what I can tell, too.

Cheers, Steve
    Hello.

I still havnt updated from -69. I was on vacation and didn't want to take the chance, when I didn't have my comp. To run the doctor.
    Is it safe to upgrade to -73? I am on a imported german gsm, running 1.4.5. I am just a guy looking for my pre to perform fast, I am not afraid of doctoring, but I know nothing about developing and really don't have any idea what a kernel is (more or less)

If someone have good experience with upgrading please let me know.

greets from Denmark
    Rune.
    A new version of warthog was released today and it seems to have fixed the hard lock I was getting when I tried to change governors. It may fix the other problems people are having in this thread as well.
    I decided to switch from UberKernel (most recent) over to Warthog-76 yesterday... The process was painless. No freezes, no reboots (aside from the requisite ones, of course), and significantly smoother performance on the phone even if I stick to 800mhz... but 1050mhz is hard to resist I'm amazed to say that the phone seems to noticeably run cooler in general with Warthog-76@1050/500 screenstate than it did with UberKernel@800/500 screenstate. It's been roughly 24 hours so far and not a single issue to report thus far.

For what it's worth-- I do get the impression that my Pre (my second one) is one of the more overclock-friendly ones. It can get laggy over time, but I have not experienced any lockups or random reboots that seemed to be related. In fact, I'd say in the ~6 months I've had it, I can probably count the total number of lockups / random reboots that I've encountered on two hands. *knock on wood*
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123