Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    But seriously, if you're not *really* prepared to doctor your phone immediately after doing so, without even blinking, then you should not upgrade to an unannounced kernel version. A statement beginning with "Wow, I'm glad I didn't ..." does not indicate *real* acceptance of those conditions.

We've been very tempted to put in a "rm -rf /media/internal" in random unannounced alpha testing kernel packages, just to reinforce this, but we're probably too nice to do that Probably ...
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    That would not be very civilized.......Lets leave it at..be prepared to doctor your phone if it does not boot due to the experimental kernel...
    Actually I'm being deadly serious with my "rm -rf /media/internal" comment.

If you are running an experimental alpha testing kernel, then you are risking the fact that operating a device outside of its specification limits can result in a logic error occurring in the execution of the code for the flash file system driver causing an unrecoverable file system error which will trigger the Palm startup scripts to completely wipe that partition.

It's a real possibility, not just jovial talk. If you're not prepared for that to happen at any time, don't run alpha testing kernels, let alone developer testbed kernels like Warthog which are designed to intentionally push the limits of correct operation.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/12/2010 at 12:08 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    All you'd have to do is call it the "DO NOT INSTALL THIS KERNEL" kernel, but say that is supports running the Pre at 2GHz...

... You'll have 1000 people with wiped media drives the first hour. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    All you'd have to do is call it the "DO NOT INSTALL THIS KERNEL" kernel, but say that is supports running the Pre at 2GHz...

... You'll have 1000 people with wiped media drives the first hour. haha
    Mass chaos you say? I'm game.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    NOT MY MEDIA DRIVE!!!! That's where I keep my (not backed up) naughty stuff.

At least my applications will still be installed...
    Actually it'll blow your apps also, /media/internal/.palm is the encrypted directory which gets decrypted as /media/cryptofs, so don't mess with it either
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    I concur with this. Mounting drives per that page then unmounting them cleanly after booting with the recovery castle uImage was enough to get the pre booting with -70 without having to do a full doctor.

Cheers, Steve
    yep, I was able to get through boot on wh-70 & wh-73, after 20 minutes and at least 1 battery pull. No meta-Dr needed, no webOS Dr needed.. Just booted after 20 mins..

I have restored UK for now and I will run aditional tests tomorrow..
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you are running an experimental alpha testing kernel, then you are risking the fact that operating a device outside of its specification limits can result in a logic error occurring in the execution of the code for the flash file system driver causing an unrecoverable file system error which will trigger the Palm startup scripts to completely wipe that partition.

It's a real possibility, not just jovial talk.
    It's not just a possibility - I managed to trash my cryptofs experimenting with some kernel patches regarding write caching and had to doctor the phone. I always boot a test compile of my kernel rev before pushing it out to git, but there's a non-zero possibility of a data corruption bug that doesn't manifest itself until the Pre has been running for a while.

Cheers, Steve
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsharksfan View Post
    yep, I was able to get through boot on wh-70 & wh-73, after 20 minutes and at least 1 battery pull. No meta-Dr needed, no webOS Dr needed.. Just booted after 20 mins..

I have restored UK for now and I will run aditional tests tomorrow..
    In my case I did battery pulls and let it sit for quite awhile but never got past the solid Palm logo (that is, it never got to loading Luna). I didn't just flip out and run to the doctor, I tried to do various things to get it going before doctoring, just none of them worked (or if they were going to they were going to take much longer than I wanted to give it).

I will note that I did not complain to anyone about this. I am aware of the risks in running an alpha kernel (come on, my gentoo installs have all restrictions for portage turned off as far as picking up testing ebuilds). This is not the first time I have had to use the volume up trick to recover from an alpha kernel. I posted this message here to warn others that there was a potentially bad version of warthog. I didn't even say don't run it, I just posted the information on the odd thought that it might be useful to someone.

I had to sacrifice my remaining popple to recover this time. I lost the volume bar several weeks ago and the volume up popple fell off. I was forced to remove the volume down popple and use it to hold the volume up button. The popple then obligingly lost itself while the phone was laid down, doctoring. Unless I can figure out how to create my own popple (they appear to be magnetic so I might experiment with magnetizing a pin or something) I won't be using such bleeding edge kernels (assuming F105 is not considered quite so bleeding edge ) until I decide to replace this pre under insurance or wait until Palm puts some new hardware out on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Actually it'll blow your apps also, /media/internal/.palm is the encrypted directory which gets decrypted as /media/cryptofs, so don't mess with it either
    I think he was referring the the material not being backed up anywhere but at least his apps are backed up..... I could be wrong, but that's how I took it. Either way made me lol when I saw his post.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think he was referring the the material not being backed up anywhere but at least his apps are backed up..... I could be wrong, but that's how I took it. Either way made me lol when I saw his post.
    Wasn't it referred to deleting the entire /media/internal folder? (it takes all the usb partition, but also the .palm directory)

hehehe... It's not a bad idea, but a bit harsh
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Wish I would have noticed this thread before I upgraded this morning. Oh well, that's the risks we take for playing with cutting edge kernel deployments. Later, I'm off to visit the good doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Wasn't it referred to deleting the entire /media/internal folder? (it takes all the usb partition, but also the .palm directory)

hehehe... It's not a bad idea, but a bit harsh

I was referring to the guy you quoted though.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    NOT MY MEDIA DRIVE!!!! That's where I keep my (not backed up) naughty stuff.

At least my applications will still be installed...
    That's why I understood it as he was gonna lose his not backed up stuff.... either way, no big deal, was funny was cuz that was the first thing I thought of too. Is all the people that hide stuff in their media/internal folder that they don't back up other places. Most of us messing with kernels and knowing the potential of having to Dr would backup other info using save/restore, pre backup, or dumping data via internal (or whatever and usb).... or a combination of those 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbromwich View Post
    I concur with this. Mounting drives per that page then unmounting them cleanly after booting with the recovery castle uImage was enough to get the pre booting with -70 without having to do a full doctor.

Cheers, Steve
    Thanks Steve,

after mounting the disks, the wiki says to "do whatever needs to be done" then unmount and tellbootie to reboot, do I not unmount before rebooting in this case?

edit: did just like the wiki said, and it is booting, thanks!!

worked, hardest part was getting the pre into usb mode from a blank boot screen.
    this helped http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2449984
    Last edited by hmagoo; 07/12/2010 at 02:00 PM.
    I installed this kernel before I knew that it had problems, but I never had a problem with getting it to boot. I did have the issue were trying to change the governor would result in a hard lock needing a battery pull though. So for the time being I am stuck at stock speeds. To the credit of this kernel though, I am impressed by how well 500Mhz is running.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    I installed this kernel before I knew that it had problems, but I never had a problem with getting it to boot. I did have the issue were trying to change the governor would result in a hard lock needing a battery pull though. So for the time being I am stuck at stock speeds. To the credit of this kernel though, I am impressed by how well 500Mhz is running.
    It would seem if the only problem was with switching governors, then the battery pull should have fixed it on next boot, since govnah is not supposed to change from default in situations such as that. And AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $I$ $had$ $no$ $scripts$ $lying$ $around$ $that$ $would$ $have$ $changed$ $the$ $governor$ $at$ $some$ $other$ $point$ $in$ $time$.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    It would seem if the only problem was with switching governors, then the battery pull should have fixed it on next boot, since govnah is not supposed to change from default in situations such as that. And AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $I$ $had$ $no$ $scripts$ $lying$ $around$ $that$ $would$ $have$ $changed$ $the$ $governor$ $at$ $some$ $other$ $point$ $in$ $time$.
    i had this problem and after the battery pull i would still have the lock up when trying to change governers in govnah -- i uninstalled govnah and swithced back to uber kernel -- re-installed govnah and i still get freeze ups when trying to change governers -- ( i prefer the ondemand governer) i am running the F105 kernel while trying to figure out how to get govnah straightned out -- may doctor the phone -- does anyone think i should try to instll the recovery kernel or would this be a waste of time? -- I will still be a willing user / tester of the alpha kernels -- i am willing to take the chance that i will lose what ever information is on the phone and i even understand that i may bork my phone. I love everything that the Devs are doing from the custom kernels to mode switcher --

any way i just backed up all of the pics of my daughter that were residing only on my USB drive partition because if someone decides to muddy the water with a intentional / unintentional command in the code to wipe my phone i will fall victim to it --i cannot help myself i am addicted to the phone and this community and i will be trying (with in reason) any /everything you guys put out that looks interesting. -- i have been telling myself for weeks that when 1.4.5 comes out i am going to hold off for a while because every update to date hase taken me to the doctor and i am happy with how my phone is running but having an update either in preware or the ap catalog is like putting a fix on the table in front of a junky -- ARRRGH i can't help it

to the devs everywhere and at webos internals especially -- thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Long Story short, there was an update to the warthog kernal. Installed it. After phone restart I open Govnah to get the kernal back up to a gigahertz. Click on my custom settings of screenstate 500-1ghz screenstate with 16 meg compache and the whole machine locks up. Completely frozen. Have to pull the battery. Afterwards Preware can't load any feeds and the phone is running weird.

Uninstall Warthog. Preware is back to normal post uninstall. Reinstall Warthog it thinking it's just installed wrong. Open Govnah again after restart and besides my custom setting, Govnah has forgotten all of the Kernal's custom configs. It looks setup for a pre compache UberKernal setup. So I uninstall and reinstall Govnah. Now it's still stuck thinking that I'm running a precompache uberkernal and my custom setting is gone too. Uninstall Govnah and Warthog and then install stock recovery Kernal to be safe. Then I try SM Bromwich kernal. Installed Govnah post Bromwich install. Still nothing. Still thinks its running a precompache uberkernal and then when I go to change any setting it locks up.

This where I currently am. I'm about to uninstall SM Bromwich and go full stock again just to make sure the phone is usable today but I can't live on the stock kernal. It's in no way fast enough or memory optimized enough to be usable, and I definitely have been spoiled running at 1 Ghz. I can't stay at half power with too many cards popping up when I just have pandora and the browser on the full engadget site on at the same time.

Please, if anyone has gone through this or might know if there's a patch or something that may be causing this, any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using the Sprint Palm Pre with the stock battery and the touchstone back and here's what I have installed that isn't directly from Palm's app store. I'm including everything regardless of how obvious in the hopes that that it helps.

1. No Themes installed

2. List of Patches installed
    Add bing and yahoo and remove twitter
    Battery icon and percent
    facebook chat patch
    Raise image resolution limit
    Roam only in device menu
    Share image message option
    show actual battery percent
    smiley faces in symbol box
    unthrottle download manager
    video camera flashlight

3. Services installed
    FileMgr
    FreeTetherD
    SystoolsMgr

4. Linux Apps installed
    GNU Patch
    Lsdiff

5. kernal currently installed
    SM Bromwich

6. Homebrew Apps
    Govnah
    internalz
    Terminal
    Mobilehotspot for sprint
    Preware
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Did you see this?

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...hlight=warthog

I also received a tweet specifically stating not to update warthog.
    Yeah. I didn't get that. :/
    Doctor!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Doctor!

I agree, it sounds like a trip to the doctor is your best bet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast