Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

This might be a n00b question for the devs, but I want to know what languages dev needs to know to write webOS apps?

Is it html and java (only)?
    I believe its HTML, Java Script and CSS. No promises though. Thats just what I remember off the top of my head.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
    Yes, either HTML/CSS/JSJSJS $OR$ $C$/$C$++ $if$ $you$ $will$ $be$ $using$ $the$ $PDK$.

Also, big difference between Java and Javascript, might not want to get them confused.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  4.    #4  
    Ok, thanks guys that was quick

And also, what are the different platforms available and how do they differ?

What is the SDK for, What is the PDK for? What is Ares for?.....

I have a vague idea but it would help if someone provided a clear explanantion
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTeBot View Post
    Ok, thanks guys that was quick

And also, what are the different platforms available and how do they differ?

What is the SDK for, What is the PDK for? What is Ares for?.....

I have a vague idea but it would help if someone provided a clear explanantion
    SDK (aka MOJO) is for basic apps that don't need 3D acceleration, etc. This uses all web based technologies: HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Like TIWizard said JavaScript and Java are not really related (other than by name). You also get the Prototype javascript library by default in MOJO. It is easy to add other libraries if you want. I use JQuery with no problems.

PDK is for hardcore games that need everything they can get from the hardware. At this point you are really writing C and C++ for Linux. I haven't done anything with the PDK, but I believe it includes the SDL libraries to make working with sound, graphics and controls easier. OpenGL is the graphics library.

Your choice of SDK vs PDK depends on what you want to make. Simple games can go SDK (with HTML 5 canvas tag), but 3D full on games go PDK.

If you aren't making games, odds are you'll go SDK. Not 100% distinction, but fair.

Ares is a really slick online development tool. You can also use Eclipse or just a text editor.

Hope this helps.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Edit: What he said.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
  7.    #7  
    @jeffa and Osiris,

Thank You. Yes that was really helped clear things up.

So i guess my basic java knowledge isnt going to help much in learning JSJSJS....
    A good source of information on HTML/Javascript/CSS is here... W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

They are hung together in a special way in a webOS program and you can find out about that here. Home - Palm Developer Center
    I already know HTML and CSS, but not JSJSJS. $Here$'$s$ $my$ $questions$.

A. Is there a sample program with extensive inline documentation of everything that was done to make it work? (I find I learn best this way.)

B. What programs should I download to open said program? Would something off the Microsoft Dreamspark site work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post

A. Is there a sample program with extensive inline documentation of everything that was done to make it work? (I find I learn best this way.)

B. What programs should I download to open said program? Would something off the Microsoft Dreamspark site work?
    A. Building Your First App - Palm Developer Center

B. webOS SDK & emulator. Don't know.
    Game Tutorial - Far Out Fowl - Palm Developer Center
    It's a bit more in depth than johncc's link. Probably should walk through his first.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Edit: I swear I only hit the button once :P
    Last edited by unfairSurprisery; 07/11/2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Odd Double Post Glitch...
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    A good source of information on HTML/Javascript/CSS is here... W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

They are hung together in a special way in a webOS program and you can find out about that here. Home - Palm Developer Center
    Yup, i've been using W3Schools itslelf. Thanks..
    Palm Pre Plus | Creative X-Fi | HP HDX 16 | Opera 10.60 | Windows 7 HP | Ubuntu 10.04
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

A) With the SDK you get source code for pretty much ALL of the default apps that come with WebOS. In the Start menu for Palm SDK you can find two Reference Code folders that contain a bunch of code. Definitely start with reading everything at Developer.palm.com then go through their code. They have some good videos to watch on the site as well.

B) These are all HTML/CSS/Javascript files, so any text editor will work. Developer.palm.com has a Tools section that talks about how to set up Eclipse, plus there is always Ares. I'd recommend Google Chrome if you want to use Ares. In theory you can use Visual Studio from DreamSpark. I haven't really tried it, despite the fact that my day job is as a .Net programmer. With the 2010 release of Visual Studio you even get JQuery included by default (it came with the ASP.net MVC add on for 2008). The SDK has a command-line utility to generate the skeleton of a project. You could use that, then use Visual Studio's Open: Web Site to get started. With some work you tell it about the Mojo objects and get Intellisense. With some work it could be a cool environment.

Personally I have been using Notepad++ and the command line tools for the most part. This is my first foray back into heavy HTML/CSS/Javascript since something like 1998, so I want to force myself to NOT rely on an IDE until I get good at it... I have played with both Eclipse/Aptana and Ares, but the text-editor/command line tools are pretty darned good and fast to work with.

I'm not thrilled with the state of de-bugging for WebOS, but it is doable. Early on you should get familiar with the Palm Inspector. Kind of like Firebug for apps running in the Emulator.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    I currently use Expression Web for my HTML programming needs, I'll see if it works for this as well.
    I use Eclipse for webOS development.

The best part is that Palm includes a plugin for Eclipse that allows you to create webOS projects and scenes from inside Eclipse. Very helpful for the people who don't trust themselves with command line (or who don't feel like learning it; not me, I use command line for quite a bit of stuff).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    My current issue is Java is not installing correctly. I don't know why, I've tried installing it multiple times but it still won't work.

Any suggestions?
    My current issue is Java is not installing correctly. I don't know why, I've tried installing it multiple times but it still won't work.

Any suggestions?
    I assume you have an x64 PC and use an x86 browser (Firefox, IEx86, etc).

If you are x64, and on Windows, open up the Start Menu and type "Internet Explorer." Click on the "Internet Explorer (64-bit)" one and navigate to:

Java Downloads for All Operating Systems - Sun Microsystems

If you're not on Windows, just go to that page and select the 64 bit version.

--The above assumes you're using 64-bit. If you're not, then post here saying you're not so we can move on to other potential causes.

Hope that helps.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post

I'm not thrilled with the state of de-bugging for WebOS, but it is doable. Early on you should get familiar with the Palm Inspector. Kind of like Firebug for apps running in the Emulator.
    I find Ares very good for debugging. It does not have to be an Ares generated project. You can just zip up your application folders from your PC and drop the zip file into a folder in Ares and use the debugger which has breakpoints, single stepping etc. Variable watching could do with a bit of work, but you can certainly access values during execution.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I find Ares very good for debugging. It does not have to be an Ares generated project. You can just zip up your application folders from your PC and drop the zip file into a folder in Ares and use the debugger which has breakpoints, single stepping etc. Variable watching could do with a bit of work, but you can certainly access values during execution.
    I find Ares acceptable for debugging, but not great. You are spot on with the comment about variable watching. I've worked with lots of environments including Visual Studio, Eclipse, Visual Age, etc. Each has pros and cons. The fact that Ares is runnning in the browser earns it mega cookies, of course. A brilliant bit of thinking there. I just don't love it's debugging. I don't hate it either.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast