Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    I find Ares acceptable for debugging, but not great. You are spot on with the comment about variable watching. I've worked with lots of environments including Visual Studio, Eclipse, Visual Age, etc. Each has pros and cons. The fact that Ares is runnning in the browser earns it mega cookies, of course. A brilliant bit of thinking there. I just don't love it's debugging. I don't hate it either.
    What do you use for debugging?
    I think my main issue was that I only had the Java JRE installed rather than the JDK. Programming now.

Edit: And finished with HelloWorld. Now it's time to move on a bit and study some JSJSJS.
    Last edited by Zen00; 07/13/2010 at 11:14 PM.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    What do you use for debugging?
    All of the above... I flip between Ares, Eclipse, Inspector. I don't love any of them, but in concert they get me through. I probably use Eclipse the most.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Microsoft Expression Web seems to work well as an editor, try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Microsoft Expression Web seems to work well as an editor, try it out.
    Notepad++ works fine as an editor too. I'm using Komodo Edit myself with webOS plugin.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Notepad++ works fine as an editor too. I'm using Komodo Edit myself with webOS plugin.
    I second the Notepad++ recommendation. I use it all the time.

Vi or Vim would work as would emacs. As a matter of fact... if you use putty to ssh into your phone you will find that it has vi on it. Kinda cool, but mostly not useful. You don't edit a lot on the phone via ssh.

I can see the benefit of using Expression Web for CSS layout and design. I've only played with Expression Web, so I can't say HOW useful it would be, however.

I suspect that configured properly Visual Studio would make a good environment. The work would come in making sure it sees all the Mojo bits so you would get Intellisense. You couldn't debug there or compile, but you could use it as a really high end editor. Supreme overkill for most webos apps I suspect.

Eclipse and Aptana work well too.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Overkill is better than under any day.
    One other thing to note, Sharepoint Designer is now free. Sharepoint Designer is almost identical to Expression Web, which isn't free.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I use Notepad++ myself for WebOS programming, however.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12