Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The current rage on over-clocking is all well & good. However to me it's like throwing your garbage faster, a brute force approach to do things. So here's a challenge to all of you, webOS or Linux guru: MAKE A STOCK PALM Pre BOOT IN 5 SECONDS.

Almost two years ago Intel Developer shows how to boot Linux on a lowly EEE PC 900 in 5 seconds to a XFCE desktop. Link: LPC: Booting Linux in five seconds [LWN.net]. To my mind it's incomprehensible how an embedded device with a limited set of known hardware needs to boot at more than 60 seconds. That is so inefficient. Throw out the fat, make things efficient and you'll get your speed.

What's the prize, you asked? Nothing monetary, just the satisfaction of rubbing on HP face that they should have thrown that US$ 12 million to the Palm community instead of buying that Phoenix Hyperspace OS.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/10/2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Deleted inappropriate content
    the pre boots just fine.

it's the lunasysmgr startup that takes a long time
    what is ur issue with hp
    and yes it boots just fine
    My Pre Plus boots facter than my Dell and HP computers! What is the problem?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    an expedited boot up process would be nice
    The problem is that it takes 8-10 minutes to boot up. And the pre has terrible battery life. I've reached into my pocket many a times to find it just dead and needing to boot up again in order to do anything. And it's usually exactly when I need it.

So a faster boot time would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    The problem is that it takes 8-10 minutes to boot up. And the pre has terrible battery life. I've reached into my pocket many a times to find it just dead and needing to boot up again in order to do anything. And it's usually exactly when I need it.

So a faster boot time would help.
    8-10 minutes!!!!! Yeah, you have a problem. Something is definitely wrong with your Pre. Especially if it is shutting off by itself. Better get it replaced.
  9.    #9  
    I have no grudge with HP. All I say is I want a fully functional phone in 5 seconds after I put the battery in. Fully functional as in can dial a call. Can the Pre do that now? Can *any* smartphone do this?
    Well I can tell you that the Pre itself is ok in booting but the Lunasysmanager is aweful. He is correct (maybe a bit exaggerated) that is takes mine about 3 minutes to boot to the homescreen. (FYI you can still receive calls while the Pre still shows the boot screen if the Palm logo is flashing). Also sometimes I would have to do the Orange+Sym+R to get ti going if it hangs at the non-blinking Palm logo.

This is definitely an area the Pre could improve on, BUT I believe also that HP is already aware of this and that is why they bought the insta-boot company - insta-boot WebOS for smartphones and slates.

But if anyone comes up with a better idea before then that would be great too. I think if it could be safely done without a bunch of trouble though Jason or the Web Internals guys would have already done it.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I have no grudge with HP. All I say is I want a fully functional phone in 5 seconds after I put the battery in. Fully functional as in can dial a call. Can the Pre do that now? Can *any* smartphone do this?
    A Palm Treo 650 can boot up in about less than 30 sec. But older OS with less going on.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  12.    #12  
    Yes, not even PalmOS which is very snappy can do this. I too had a Treo 650. So the Palm Pre has a perceptible reputation of bad battery life. Yeah, the battery is replaceable (which is touted as a feature during CES 2009) unlike a certain popular phone, but what is the point of switching battery if you had to endure what feels like interminable boot-up to use the phone?
    the point is you have a computer in ur hands that has a battery smaller then a laptop battery. So you should be happy the battery last as long as it does stop ur b****ing and buy a expanded battery
    The crappy battery is a side issue here. This thread is about reboot times.

I probably should've gotten my phone replaced a long time ago, but i didn't. i just didn't want to deal with sprint. I just wished boot times were shorter.
    thats a good challenge
    OK, how about making it boot as fast as an iPhone. From a cold start. My 3GS and Pre + both have same processor but the iPhone 3GS boots in about 34-35 seconds ( I just timed it) and we all know how long it takes our Pre's to boot up. Just saying. I shut down my Pre completely and restarted.....almost 3 minutes! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    Our beloved Palm needs to wake up and smell the boot time!
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Easy.... Here's how...

1. Delete lunasysmanager.
    2. Rename the phone app to lunasysmanager.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Easy.... Here's how...

im not even close to sure what effects this would have... anyone want to clarify.. LoL
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    Easy.... Here's how...

OK, I'm not looking to fix the blame, I'm looking to fix the problem.
    Or at the very least understand what causes the slow boot time.
    I'm a newbie, does anyone know why the boot time is 3 minutes?
    Boot-up times made a huge spike when they introduced the encrypted filesystem so the entire storage area could be used for installing apps.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast