Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    what is the point of switching battery if you had to endure what feels like interminable boot-up to use the phone?
    Don't you know you can hot-swap the battery without a re-boot? I do it all the time! If you have a power source (either portable charger or good old AC), you can plug your phone in, swap the batteries and keep going without a re-boot. As long as you switch the batteries within 2 seconds, you're good to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Don't you know you can hot-swap the battery without a re-boot? I do it all the time! If you have a power source (either portable charger or good old AC), you can plug your phone in, swap the batteries and keep going without a re-boot. As long as you switch the batteries within 2 seconds, you're good to go!
    unfortunate you can't swap a sim witout reboot. unlike the treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    unfortunate you can't swap a sim witout reboot. unlike the treo 650.
    Hmm... don't have any experience with SIM cards--always been on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    If your Pre could boot in 5 seconds you'd hate it. A phone that boots that quickly would indicate how low it's capabilities are.
    how dumb of a comment. hello? phoenix technologies....
    Last edited by delete2end; 07/11/2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    guess you were wrong on that one !
    He intentionally decided to ignore the discussion because I caught onto his methods.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    He intentionally decided to ignore the discussion because I caught onto his methods.
    Actually, I was just waiting to see how much further the thread could get off-topic ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    No he's not exaggerating, mine takes close to 10 minutes from a total cold start (powered off), until I'm at my launcher page.

It's nothing like the old PalmOS.

So I get his point!

No such what stuff you guys have installed that have a fast boot now. But do have a ton of stuff going on with my Pre.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, I was just waiting to see how much further the thread could get off-topic ...

-- Rod
    It is funny to see the bickering going on. Seems like it quite hasn't hit Godwin's law yet either.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Boot-up times made a huge spike when they introduced the encrypted filesystem so the entire storage area could be used for installing apps.
    While it made a spike, it wasn't everything. In 1.3.5 there were many changes, new libraries to preload, and cryptofs.

As an experiment, I moved everything out of cryptofs and I didn't get that much of a speed boost, maybe around 20% (with some nasty side effects, btw).

Cryptofs is a good method of getting the apps info out of normal spying eyes (of course, it won't stop people with enough idea of what's happening)

I won't move my apps again, and I didn't really benchmark, but I saw no noticeable performance increase when I did it.

If someone wants to do it, pm me, I'll give you some advice, but I won't do it public, because it's really dangerous (I think Rod would agree).
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Me too. There's no way a flight attendant is making me completely shut down my phone. Once it's in airplane mode, it's essentially a PDA, and once the screen is off, it's turned off for all practical purposes. What are they going to do, come around and hit the power button to see if it turns on quickly? Make me remove the battery? I HATE blanket policies! Grrrrrr.

However, it's possible that the intent of the announcement was to get you to turn the screen off in addition to simply going to airplane mode. In other words, JUST going to airplane mode but still keeping the screen on (to play a game or read a book or something like that) would not be cool, since the processor is running and generating small amounts of RF noise. But airplane mode plus screen off is totally sufficient.
    ----Oh, I'll gladly completely shut mine off..........ON THE DAY THEY START GIVING ME COMPLETELY FREE, FIRST CLASS FLIGHTS!!

Otherwise, they are SOL!

I've never yet seen anyone go around and check. The only thing they do is say to turn them off and make sure no one has such items in their hands during take-off and landing.

As a matter of fact, my most recent flight was on Air Canada and on both legs of the journey, they specifically said to turn them off OR place them in an Airplane Mode/Radio Off State!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    only took 3 days lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I started reading this to see if someone came up with a faster boot sequence but then it deteriorated to a bashing of the airline policies.

Anyhow, I have been a user of Palm smartphones since I got my Kyocera 6035 about 7 or 8 years ago, and have been a Linux geek since the mid 90's. I really look forward to hacking on my Pre to get it to do cool stuff so I can clown my buddies with iPowns(not a typo).

Now on to the thread jack topic, I am an extra class amateur radio operator and I ALWAYS travel with a radio of some sort along with my smartphone, it's as simple as this: when I board the craft I ask the captain's permission to operate my device and usually they have no objection, in fact many airline pilots are also hams. Long story short, my phone or my ham radio ain't gonna do ****** the the avionics or comms of the aircraft, period.

Yeah I know this looks like a useless rant, but apparently I gotta have 10 posts to get to see everything.

Here is #1.

73 de kn0cw
    For laughs, I timed a boot up... installed battery, hit power button/started timer... ~4:55
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    The current rage on over-clocking is all well & good. However to me it's like throwing your garbage faster, a brute force approach to do things. So here's a challenge to all of you, webOS or Linux guru: MAKE A STOCK PALM Pre BOOT IN 5 SECONDS.

Almost two years ago Intel Developer shows how to boot Linux on a lowly EEE PC 900 in 5 seconds to a XFCE desktop. Link: LPC: Booting Linux in five seconds [LWN.net]. To my mind it's incomprehensible how an embedded device with a limited set of known hardware needs to boot at more than 60 seconds. That is so inefficient. Throw out the fat, make things efficient and you'll get your speed.

What's the prize, you asked? Nothing monetary, just the satisfaction of rubbing on HP face that they should have thrown that US$ 12 million to the Palm community instead of buying that Phoenix Hyperspace OS. And a bragging rights to that "other" Linux mobile OS community (you know which one) which in my opinion is better than the current environment of "how big is your **ck size" & "how soon can you cl**ax"
    Are you serious? What have you been smoking? Do you understand webOS AT ALL? There should be rules against silly threads like this.
  15.    #75  
    Please read and understand the challenge on thread title and subsequent posts on boot/reboot time. The post above yours give a clocked boot time (4 minutes plus). As I've written, probably only 18 sec of that is needed to read from the flash media (ROM). So what happened during the rest of that time? CPU working to turn pretty hourglass? Waiting for network initialization delay?
    I have no grudge with HP. All I say is I want a fully functional phone in 5 seconds after I put the battery in. Fully functional as in can dial a call. Can the Pre do that now? Can *any* smartphone do this?
    there is not one single phone that boots in 5 seconds....
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I would agree that some of the discussion on this post has been a little silly and a little unrealistic, but I think the general intent of the post is good. I'd very much like to see the Pre achieve a full boot in a minute or less, if this is possible through overclocking or other means. I hope that goal is something that can be tackled.

Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    I would be happy if the phone would boot up within 1 min. Mine takes over 5 mins from a complete cold restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by rrob13 View Post
    I would agree that some of the discussion on this post has been a little silly and a little unrealistic, but I think the general intent of the post is good. I'd very much like to see the Pre achieve a full boot in a minute or less, if this is possible through overclocking or other means. I hope that goal is something that can be tackled.

Rob
    phone boots in just over a minute for me...
    With a 1 min boot up I'd be pleased.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast