Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    I'm sure Mr. Whitby knows, I do not personally know him being a newbie, but could someone that does ask him without us having to make a new thread, etc.?
    All you have to do is shout his username and he appears into the thread like magic. Or he just searches his name every hour to see if his name is mentioned.

Rwhitby, come clarify this discussion for us please
  2.    #42  
    Allright, how fast is the read capability of the flash memory that Palm uses? 10, 15 or 20 MB/s? A running Pre needs what, 180MB loaded in RAM?
    That means boot/reboot should take:
    18 seconds @ read speed of 10MB/s = 9000 Million clock cycle of CPU @ 500 MHz.
    12 seconds @ read speed of 15MB/s = 6000 Million clock cycle of CPU @500 MHz.
    9 seconds @ read speed of 20MB/s = 4500 Million clock cycle of CPU @ 500MHz.

Anyone knows how many instruction / clock cycle the OMAP is capable of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Is it safe to assume that many mods add to boot time because they have to run scripts or load processes?
    Installing patches is a once only permanent change to the Javascript files by adding or removing sections of the script, so I can't see it materially affecting boot times.
    Hmmm, I wonder if there's a way to have the luna system load in the background, while the phone app runs? Upon reboot, the system starts and immediately brings up the phone app, so you can make a call; in the meantime, luna is loading in the background. We can do this people, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! (I always wanted to say that :P)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I'd be very happy if the boot-into-home-screen time could be cut by 30%. I say this is a great challenge for the homebrew, webos internals group!
    We would achieve about that if the OC patches were made to run during boot up. With the old OC patches, that did just that, I saw my boot times cut by 20-30%, and this was with my original boot time being only 112 seconds
    this is something that should be expedited by hp/palm. when you travel and you have to turn your phone off 2 times (takeoff and landing) its a pain waiting. then when you land you want to get on your phone but you have to wait way too long. would suck for people that travel alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by balkeee View Post
    this is something that should be expedited by hp/palm. when you travel and you have to turn your phone off 2 times (takeoff and landing) its a pain waiting. then when you land you want to get on your phone but you have to wait way too long. would suck for people that travel alot.
    You could just put the phone in airplane mode. By doing that you are technically tunring the "phone" off. That way its just like having a little computer or one of those ithings. toggling airplane mode only takes seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    You could just put the phone in airplane mode. By doing that you are technically tunring the "phone" off. That way its just like having a little computer or one of those ithings. toggling airplane mode only takes seconds.
    thats what i thought the the steward saw me and said all electronics must be completely off. not just in airplane mode when taking off and landing?
    Steward was an *****. The airline industry wants your cellphone radio off and that is why it is called airplane mode. However, you probably should turn off the screen and put the Pre away while plane is taking off and landing. I am curious, how does one turn off the classic iPod? The screen goes off but technically it is still running some computer processing while the iPod is asleep.

thats what i thought the the steward saw me and said all electronics must be completely off. not just in airplane mode when taking off and landing?
    That could very well be true, I guess I've just never had a flight attendant that cared that much. In my opinion hitting the power button and making the screen go black is just as good as it being off, and most ppl wouldn't know enough to tell you otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Steward was an *****. The airline industry wants your cellphone radio off and that is why it is called airplane mode. However, you probably should turn off the screen and put the Pre away while plane is taking off and landing. I am curious, how does one turn off the classic iPod? The screen goes off but technically it is still running some computer processing while the iPod is asleep.
    I would agree if i didnt hear it again on my flight back. this time it wasnt directed towards me but the lady says on the intercom " turn off all cell phones and all electronic devices, and airplane or sleep mode doesnt count as turning off" i was going to ask why but never did. regardless of the policy i think the startup time is one of the only problems i have with my pre.
    I'll worry about it, the day I hear of a cellphone taking down an airplane, just by using its normal operations.

That's all I've ever done when flying, switch to Airplane Mode, shut off the screen and tucked the phone in my purse, until take-off or landing was complete. Never had anyone say anything to me about it and that's been on many, many flights.
    I personally don't need my pre to boot up in 5 seconds, but definitely, something quicker than the current 3+ minutes would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    All you have to do is shout his username and he appears into the thread like magic. Or he just searches his name every hour to see if his name is mentioned.

Rwhitby, come clarify this discussion for us please
    guess you were wrong on that one !
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  15.    #55  
    Hmm, looks like I worded the title wrong. Not many people care if the pre can boot in 5 sec. Or they think I only care about the phone part. Should I make it:
    "Boot the Pre & update my twitter in 5 seconds" or
    "Boot & Browse the web in 5 sec" or
    "Get me to my Facebook in 5 sec after reboot"?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer513 View Post
    . We can do this people, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY! (I always wanted to say that :P)
    Lol at the six million dollar man reference.
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/10/2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'll worry about it, the day I hear of a cellphone taking down an airplane, just by using its normal operations.

That's all I've ever done when flying, switch to Airplane Mode, shut off the screen and tucked the phone in my purse, until take-off or landing was complete. Never had anyone say anything to me about it and that's been on many, many flights.
    Me too. There's no way a flight attendant is making me completely shut down my phone. Once it's in airplane mode, it's essentially a PDA, and once the screen is off, it's turned off for all practical purposes. What are they going to do, come around and hit the power button to see if it turns on quickly? Make me remove the battery? I HATE blanket policies! Grrrrrr.

However, it's possible that the intent of the announcement was to get you to turn the screen off in addition to simply going to airplane mode. In other words, JUST going to airplane mode but still keeping the screen on (to play a game or read a book or something like that) would not be cool, since the processor is running and generating small amounts of RF noise. But airplane mode plus screen off is totally sufficient.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post

The reality is that they want them off for two reasons:
    1. It keeps the lawyers happy by giving people one less thing to sue them about (it's your fault that you didn't MAKE me turn off my phone...)
    2. They want nothing that would prevent you hearing and following instructions if something happens. Like if you land on a river and people can't get passed you because you are wrapping up your headset cord and looking for the belt holster that you just dropped under the seat in front of you.

Same reason they want the seat back up. It prevents you from doing things that could create problems in an emergency. The thing about radio interference is just an excuse that was easier to sell to the FAA and such.

However, in some countries there is an additional risk. If you turn your phone on before they tell you to after landing... there have been reports of that causing the plane to go back to the runway and take off again all by itself. So that's something to think about when travelling abroad.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by delete2end View Post
    you must have crappy computers... my three laptops all boot faster than my pre and my oldest laptop is a pentium M at 1.6ghz with
    I agree with this and It's a vista laptop. it should take less then a minute to boot up considering the other smartphone I've played with (iphone, 3g, samsung moment, g1) take less then a minute. there are times when my phone freezes and I have to wait three minutes just to use it again, or when the battery dies i have to wait for it to get some charge and then turn on. for a phone, its important that basic functionality is quick to get use.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    I would agree if i didnt hear it again on my flight back. this time it wasnt directed towards me but the lady says on the intercom " turn off all cell phones and all electronic devices, and airplane or sleep mode doesnt count as turning off" i was going to ask why but never did. regardless of the policy i think the startup time is one of the only problems i have with my pre.
    I think it is geared towards the users electronics more so then the plane. Maybe there is a slight chance of some sort of electronics malfunctioning due to the rising/falling and changes in pressure? it's possible that a device on sleep mode might be ok, but i turn everything off anyway. Airlines probably fear if something goes wrong they will get sued (as happens for everything these days)

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast