Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 107
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    My Pre Plus boots facter than my Dell and HP computers! What is the problem?
    you must have crappy computers... my three laptops all boot faster than my pre and my oldest laptop is a pentium M at 1.6ghz with
  2. #22  
    It's the post (power-on self-test) that takes forever to complete.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  3. #23  
    didn't HP just buy something from Phoenix Technologies to do this?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4. R_E
    R_E is offline
    R_E's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    #24  
    when you say 8 minutes to boot, are you including the time the pre shows the red battery? Because the phone is not booting during this time. When the pre's battery dies, it charges for about 5 minutes depending on the charger and then boots.
  5. #25  
    My phone takes more than 5 minutes, probably closer to 8. But, with about 60 patches and enough homebrew to inebriate my neighborhood, I figured that was the price I had to pay. Is it safe to assume that many mods add to boot time because they have to run scripts or load processes?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  6. #26  
    If your Pre could boot in 5 seconds you'd hate it. A phone that boots that quickly would indicate how low it's capabilities are.
  7. xantus's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #27  
    there are plenty of better batteries out there... why is your pre turning off in the first place? battery drain on airplane mode should be next to nothing when you want to save power.


    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    My phone takes more than 5 minutes, probably closer to 8. But, with about 60 patches and enough homebrew to inebriate my neighborhood, I figured that was the price I had to pay. Is it safe to assume that many mods add to boot time because they have to run scripts or load processes?
    my standard Pre (which I've never doctored since I got it) has 86 patches (I used to have over 100) and all kinds of homebrew and has gone through nearly every OC kernel (currently on f105, it's amazing!) boots in 2:50.
    food for thought...
  8. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #28  
    iPhone "handle" - now, that's funny. ;-)iPhone.jpg
    Last edited by ToddK; 07/09/2010 at 03:13 PM.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by xantus View Post
    there are plenty of better batteries out there... why is your pre turning off in the first place? battery drain on airplane mode should be next to nothing when you want to save power.




    my standard Pre (which I've never doctored since I got it) has 86 patches (I used to have over 100) and all kinds of homebrew and has gone through nearly every OC kernel (currently on f105, it's amazing!) boots in 2:50.
    food for thought...
    Are we defining "boot" the same way? I'm talking about from battery insertion to being able to make a call... not just a java or luna restart...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  10. #30  
    I'd be thrilled with anything under a minute or so. Right now a complete reset takes 6-7 minutes for me.
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  11. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #31  
    I'm curious whether anything can be done to reduce the time it takes to complete a full boot (or reboot). My Pre averages a little over 2 minutes to boot. It would be great to reduce this time. I agree that boot times of less than one minute would be wonderful.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  12. xantus's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Are we defining "boot" the same way? I'm talking about from battery insertion to being able to make a call... not just a java or luna restart...
    yeah, from completely off to having phone app open and ready
  13. #33  
    My wife's Pixi and my Pre avg about 3mins to boot. Would hate the need to make an emergency call, or get caught in a jam after a reboot
  14. rrob13's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by xantus View Post
    yeah, from completely off to having phone app open and ready
    That's what I'm talking about, too. Java restarts are very quick on my Pre, and Luna reboots are 30 to 45 seconds. I can live with that.

    I read somewhere recently that the full boot sequence is actually purposefully underclocked. I wonder whether there is any way to change that or to otherwise improve the boot speed.

    Rob
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
  15. #35  
    I'm sure Mr. Whitby knows, I do not personally know him being a newbie, but could someone that does ask him without us having to make a new thread, etc.?
  16. xantus's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #36  
    but again the real question is... how often are you really needing to boot your pre?

    do you have conflicting patches that could be causing issues? mine was sluggish for the longest time and would lock up a couple times a week. Then I discovered that switching from 5x5 icons v5 to LiteListLauncher was like being given a new phone. I haven't needed to reboot since...
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by xantus View Post
    but again the real question is... how often are you really needing to boot your pre?

    do you have conflicting patches that could be causing issues? mine was sluggish for the longest time and would lock up a couple times a week. Then I discovered that switching from 5x5 icons v5 to LiteListLauncher was like being given a new phone. I haven't needed to reboot since...
    I only pull the battery when switching from the 1350mah and 2600mah batteries.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  18. #38  
    I'd be very happy if the boot-into-home-screen time could be cut by 30%. I say this is a great challenge for the homebrew, webos internals group!
  19. #39  
    The real question is what can be done to get webOS to boot faster... this is the slowest booting device since my old 486DX2-66 running Win95.

    The Pre takes a long time to boot... there is no argument.
  20. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Boot-up times made a huge spike when they introduced the encrypted filesystem so the entire storage area could be used for installing apps.
    Yeah. I understand why they did it and I don't have a better solution, but I'm not too thrilled about cryptofs. Not only do boot times suffer, but so do app launch times, installing apps, etc... anything writing to or reading /media/cryptofs is pretty slow.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions