Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I ran several searches and my system kept coming up to a blank screen, so I thought I would throw this out there, even though I'm sure it's been thought of before...

    Android is written in LINUX, WebOS is largely written in LINUX. Doesn't it seem logical that a program could be written to allow Android apps to run on the Pre under WebOS? This would open up much of the Android Marketplace to Palm users and could be a win-win to all!.

    Just sayin'
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  2. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #2  
    Android and webOS using linux, linux is not a programming language.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3. #3  
    As mosdl said, the apps are written in different languages. Yes, they're written to run on linux, but they could run in Windows or even Mac under proper emulation.

    Most Android apps are written in Java (NOT the same, or even close to the same as JavaScript) though some are written in C++. Most webOS apps are written in JavaScript, though some are in C/C++.

    An Android developer could port their Java apps to webOS, IF they package their own java interpreter into their app. Then they need to submit it to Palm.

    BUT: They must WRITE THEIR OWN graphics library to mimic webOS' UI, because Palm requires that the UI be similar.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  4.    #4  
    Ah well, it should have seemed like took good a concept to be possible. I had hoped, at the very least, there was enough similarity that apps could be run in an Android emulator environment under WebOS, just like the WebOS Garnet apps can be run through the Palm Classic emulator.

    As for Android app developers porting their apps to WebOS... I won't hold my breath.

    Thanks for all your input!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  5. spud101's Avatar
    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    #5  
    I'm not a developer, but shouldn't PDK allow for java programmed apps to be ported to webOS? Or does it currently only support C/C++?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    BUT: They must WRITE THEIR OWN graphics library to mimic webOS' UI, because Palm requires that the UI be similar.
    then what the hell were they thinking when they accepted google maps as a standard app when it looks like its straight out of androidOS?
  7. Queueyou's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #7  
    Don't forget their own "Featured Apps" app looks nothing like most of WebOS.
  8. #8  
    Why don't OSX (Apple) programs work with my Win7 (Microsoft) OS? They are both computers right?

    (/sarcasm)


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    sshaka likes this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmilette View Post
    then what the hell were they thinking when they accepted google maps as a standard app when it looks like its straight out of androidOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Queueyou View Post
    Don't forget their own "Featured Apps" app looks nothing like most of WebOS.
    They let some things slide when there is good reason. Some apps are allowed to bring a different UI design (like different buttons), but they would NOT allow you to use the iPhone UI or Android UI for example.

    ------------------------------

    The "Featured Apps" app is entirely different because (gasp) that is what the App Catalog was shown to look like in the pictures from the April developer conference. Not with the giant buttons, but the background, etc.

    The giant buttons are there because it brings something different to the show. You'll notice the app still uses webOS widgets (like the headers), and nothing other than those images were changed. They use standard everything except for the category menu in the home scene.

    --------------------------------

    And the Google Maps app is actually hosted on Google's systems, so Palm can't do much to control it.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    And the Google Maps app is actually hosted on Google's systems, so Palm can't do much to control it.
    well that sucks hard cold cheese balls =_=
  11. #11  
    The reason there are apps on android that you want is that android has all the APIs available like bluetooth serial and camera/mic. Palm needs to make these APIs available and when they do that you might as well get native apps for webOS.

    It really would be awesome for palm to make an 'Android compatibility layer' plug-in. Open up an android app as if it were a card in webOS. I see no reason why palm would not be seriously considering this. After all, the PDK is basically an 'iOS compatibility layer' plug-in.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I see no reason why palm would not be seriously considering this. After all, the PDK is basically an 'iOS compatibility layer' plug-in.
    No, not even close. The PDK just allows for hardcoded apps. The thing making it relatively simple to port iOS apps to WebOS is that they're both POSIX compatible operating systems and share a number of common libraries.
  13. Dolio's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #13  
    Well, we do have various handheld gaming console emulators, we have X11 and can do local X apps. I see no reason why we couldn't run a sort of android os emulator which may or may not be able to run android apps (less bluetooth serial, compass, mic, camera, etc...) while we wait on those native hooks for WebOS and the native apps that would follow. Of course we all want to run native WebOS apps rather than emulated Android app, but it would still be fun to be able to 'try' to run android apps on WebOS in an emulator. Anyway, it's crossed my mind also and I would love to be able to mention "android emulator" as yet another feature in the WebOS bag-o-tricks...
  14. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolio View Post
    Well, we do have various handheld gaming console emulators, we have X11 and can do local X apps. I see no reason why we couldn't run a sort of android os emulator which may or may not be able to run android apps (less bluetooth serial, compass, mic, camera, etc...) while we wait on those native hooks for WebOS and the native apps that would follow. Of course we all want to run native WebOS apps rather than emulated Android app, but it would still be fun to be able to 'try' to run android apps on WebOS in an emulator. Anyway, it's crossed my mind also and I would love to be able to mention "android emulator" as yet another feature in the WebOS bag-o-tricks...
    android emulator would just be running all of android on a pre - no webOS integration at all. Might as well get an android phone
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    android emulator would just be running all of android on a pre - no webOS integration at all. Might as well get an android phone
    I disagree about getting an Android phone. The biggest problem right now for WebOS users is a lack of some very popular apps. Now, before anyone comes after me with torches and pitchforks, hear me out. Dual booting into Android and WebOS would be sweet.

    Let's take a look at (and yes, this is a topic I like to discuss...) the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator. This little app is running on a variety of phones (including Android), but NOT WebOS. I don't want an Android phone, or an Iphone, or a BB, but I DO want the Mobile Authenticator (due largely to the fact my old BB is just a Blizzard Mobile Authenticator now...).

    So, one could try to pressure Blizzard and HP to get us an app (which I am doing on a REGULAR basis), but honestly, given the WebOS marketshare and time it takes to get simple things done at large organizations...a dual booting pre would be the cat's pajamas.
  16. #16  
    We need to find out what happened to that OMAP ZOOM project... They were supposed to be making Android be able to run on the Pre's processor
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    We need to find out what happened to that OMAP ZOOM project... They were supposed to be making Android be able to run on the Pre's processor
    Android can already run on the Pre's processor. It's just an ARM8. The exact same chip is in several Android devices.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by unfairSurprisery View Post
    Android can already run on the Pre's processor. It's just an ARM8. The exact same chip is in several Android devices.
    So why do we not have any Pres running Android then?
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
  19. #19  
    A lot of reasons. First, most Pre owners really don't want Android... Or they would have gotten an Android phone instead. Also, there are more hardware considerations than just the cpu(gpu, mainboard, nic, etc...). Given android's hardware support though, I'm inclined to believe that it's simply a lack of people caring enough to really even give it an effort. I've seen threads pop up about it all over, and they usually fade away pretty quick with maybe a couple pages of posts and a general consensus of possible but nobody cares.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
  20. #20  
    Two main reasons:

    1) Somebody needs to make drivers to the screen and touch sensor
    2) Somebody needs to make the drivers for the modem (CDMA/GSM chip) because the drivers for those are severely locked down to prevent IP theft and to follow federal laws
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions